Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,036 Posts
Just curious why this trend seems to reemerge with a vengeance every few years. I get the logic around it, but it's been tested to death through the years, and the end consensus is always that it's just "meh". Now all of the sudden, once again YouTube is constantly taking about mullet bikes. People are very concerned whether or not the bike they're buying can be set up mullet, and people are claiming that mullet bikes are the end all be all setup.

Companies like Carver had tried this stuff long ago and it never took off. When 27.5 hit it came back for a minute, in hopes that the 27.5 rear would work better than the 26 people had been using. Then it fizzled out again. Now it's back.

Is this just a weird trend that newbies tend to grab on to so they can feel like they're "experimenting" with their setup?

Not hating, just generally curious why this trend comes back around every 3-4 years.
I swap in a 27.5 front or rear to roll with a 29er on the other end with some regularity on my single speed MTB. Mostly to get the tire girth/cush to match up with what I am riding in terms of trail features, mileage or wear on tires. I tend to like a 29er rear for longer rides and 27.5 rear (and maybe front too) for more technical rides. If I am where a bit more front end clearance helps, than I slap a 3.0 29er front wheel on.

Not trying to be trendy... more getting the right tool(s) for the job.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,762 Posts

·
noMAD man
12,174 Posts
Just curious why this trend seems to reemerge with a vengeance every few years. I get the logic around it, but it's been tested to death through the years, and the end consensus is always that it's just "meh". Now all of the sudden, once again YouTube is constantly taking about mullet bikes. People are very concerned whether or not the bike they're buying can be set up mullet, and people are claiming that mullet bikes are the end all be all setup.

Companies like Carver had tried this stuff long ago and it never took off. When 27.5 hit it came back for a minute, in hopes that the 27.5 rear would work better than the 26 people had been using. Then it fizzled out again. Now it's back.

Is this just a weird trend that newbies tend to grab on to so they can feel like they're "experimenting" with their setup?

Not hating, just generally curious why this trend comes back around every 3-4 years.
SSS...I've been thinking more on your premise here. I think you may be taking this wheel size thing like it's an issue that fits one specific bike, one specific rider, and one specific riding style and terrain. Today we have bikes, riders, and applications across a huge span of variety...bikes with different geometries...bikes in different frame sizes...riders of different sizes and ergonomics...bikes for vastly different terrains...etc., etc., etc.

Is it really that shocking that the selection of different wheel sizes is that alien a concept? Is it really that strange that we have bikes with different frame sizes and travel numbers all over the board? There really is no one-size-fits-all. You mention "weird". Not trying to be argumentative or attacking you personally, but maybe it's weirder to think one size should fit all.

I was wondering if your screen name means you only ride single speed mountain bikes? That's a question, not a slam. I would kind of bet you have other bike setups too. However, I can see a single speed aficionado leaning heavily toward 29'er only in the sense that maintaining momentum and rollover with one gear is extremely critical.

·
Registered
Lone Wolf
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
SSS...I've been thinking more on your premise here. I think you may be taking this wheel size thing like it's an issue that fits one specific bike, one specific rider, and one specific riding style and terrain. Today we have bikes, riders, and applications across a huge span of variety...bikes with different geometries...bikes in different frame sizes...riders of different sizes and ergonomics...bikes for vastly different terrains...etc., etc., etc.

Is it really that shocking that the selection of different wheel sizes is that alien a concept? Is it really that strange that we have bikes with different frame sizes and travel numbers all over the board? There really is no one-size-fits-all. You mention "weird". Not trying to be argumentative or attacking you personally, but maybe it's weirder to think one size should fit all.

I was wondering if your screen name means you only ride single speed mountain bikes? That's a question, not a slam. I would kind of bet you have other bike setups too. However, I can see a single speed aficionado leaning heavily toward 29'er only in the sense that maintaining momentum and rollover with one gear is extremely critical.
I'm not assuming a one size fits all type of situation, or assuming anything for that matter. I'm not even saying mullet isnt a legit setup, I'm sure there are situations where it has its perks. I was just pondering how it seems to come back around every few years. Like it's a huge deal that everyone is interested in, then you don't hear about it for 2 years and then all of the sudden people are all about mullet setups again. If it were a one time trend I wouldn't think anything of it, but it's one of the few things that seems to circle back often.

Edit: yes I only ride SS, and 29er. I've never had the urge to purchase a second wheelset just for the sake of trying a different size in the rear.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,762 Posts
Hair style setups have been done for how many decades? Who really cares? Participate in it or ignore it as needed.

Moving forward, things have changed over those decades to include geometry of frame, fork rake, tire volume being above the early 2.125's of yore. People are indeed "experimenting" when they give a hair style build a go, c'est la vie!

Disclaimer; I ride SS and geared bikes, because they are fucking bikes! :p

·
noMAD man
12,174 Posts
I'm not assuming a one size fits all type of situation, or assuming anything for that matter. I'm not even saying mullet isnt a legit setup, I'm sure there are situations where it has its perks. I was just pondering how it seems to come back around every few years. Like it's a huge deal that everyone is interested in, then you don't hear about it for 2 years and then all of the sudden people are all about mullet setups again. If it were a one time trend I wouldn't think anything of it, but it's one of the few things that seems to circle back often.

Edit: yes I only ride SS, and 29er. I've never had the urge to purchase a second wheelset just for the sake of trying a different size in the rear.
You bring up a good point on how the topic resurfaces with what appears to be an increased interest on the different wheel size options. However, my take there is that the issue isn't resurfacing because people weren't doing it. It resurfaces because conversations come up about it in various formats like MTBR etc. I work at a shop, and I hardly see and hear about how the industry and/or riders are using wheel and tire setups globally, but I see the occasional bike from a given manufacturer here and there with "mullet" offerings, and I see individuals with bikes in the same setup that were delivered that way or were changed by the owner. When it started in the 69'er venue years ago, I think it's been around in various forms since...just not featured on the 6:00PM news...CDT of course.:)

·
Ride what you like!
701 Posts
Oh my. There is a company that does nothing but mullets.
They're really going all in with the weird dead ends, their hardtail offering is an e stay

Kinda like the discount barbershop at the flea market

·
Registered
Lone Wolf
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
They're really going all in with the weird dead ends, their hardtail offering is an e stay

Oof, yea that hardtail is rough looking. The chainstay is elevated on both sides too. That's goofy as hell.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Oof, yea that hardtail is rough looking. The chainstay is elevated on both sides too. That's goofy as hell.
Rough/goofy looking... sounds like they made it work though.

Not that I'd run out and buy one today, but.... what if we're all dinosaurs and in ten years this thread is in the MTBR museum?

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
^^Interesting that they are keeping the geo numbers a secret. Lol...I kinda like it. It'll let you decide after you ride the bike.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,053 Posts
What was the bike that had a 26" front, 24" rear- it was a Raleigh. I had one, but it was way too small for me and killed my knees.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts

I actually like the looks of that thing, but I have a Trek Stache too, and to be fair, I really do enjoy riding it, but think it’s pretty ugly.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
New Bronson looks real good, as does the Insurgent

I love how they show the rider way off the back to highlight butt buzz. When they want to sell us 29'ers they say ride in the middle not off the back. When they want to sell mullets they advertise riding off the back.

Not sure why the rider pictured is so off the back here? Clearly they told him to exaggerate his body english. This is an example of where the rider should be riding more in the middle. God I do love marketing. Fun stuff.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
4,790 Posts
What is the advantages of mullet?
I think in a nutshell, it should have the same rollover/ control advantage of the bigger wheel up front but the smaller back tire moves the rear axel closer to the bottom bracket which gives you better control when the trail is tighter.

With regards to hair styles, it's lower maintenance than a proper long cut while still being cool. Particularly if paired with a single earring.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts