Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just demoed my first fat bike yesterday. Rode a beargrease on my local singletrack and absolutely had a blast. I was blown away by the climbing ability, traction on loose rocks and traction in corners. I want a fat bike now. My shop does not have a mukluk demo, I rode one in the parking lot and it didnt feel that much different than the BG, but thats not the same as a 10 mile ride on singletrack. I would like to save the extra money if both bikes ride about the same re: handling and climbing. The weight difference was only 2lbs 9oz at the shop, not a big deal to me. Has anyone ridden both? Is the beargrease that much more performance oriented? (frame specs arent that much different). I dont care about the component differences, just how it rides.

thanks

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I've ridden both, though months apart. Funny at the LBS Salsa demo, they only had the Beargrease, and I chuckled with the Salsa guy asking if he had something more in my price range. But yeah, the Beargrease is a blast to ride. Note that I am newer to fatbiking. My understanding is that the Mukluk is more upright, where the BG is more dialed in for MTB geometry.

I am most likely looking at a Muk 3 or the Fatboy, unless a used craigslist deal on something else pops up.

Something else very strange, that maybe someone else could weigh in: we (in Eau Claire, WI) put on the Powder Keg fatbike/snow shoe race, and I am pretty active on the local trails, but have hardly seen any '14 Muk 3s. A bunch of older Muk 3s and current Muk 2s, among other brands, but no current model year Muk 3s. And the LBS sponsor is a Salsa (and Surly) dealer. Found that curious.

·
Rocking on a Rocky
1,637 Posts
The mukluk should take a larger tire the BG?

·
Geordie biker
1,376 Posts
The bear rides more like a 29er....both are awesome, mukluk is good value and yeah it's more upright....you can lower the weight on both easy.

I've owned both.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everybody says the mukluk is more upright but if you look at the geometry the ett and head angle are the same as the beargrease. Is there something else i am missing?

·
Geordie biker
1,376 Posts
Sometimes that's just the way a build works out...different from what the specs suggest on paper.

It's why it's so important to try before you commit....if possible.

My large mukluk was quite big....yet my large beargrease is perfect fit.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had the original Mukluk before the adjustable dropouts, then a carbon Beargrease. They ride completely different, the Mukluk was a noodle, had no stiffness, I don't weigh that much, but standing up and cranking would result in the chain rubbing both sides of the FD, hard cornering caused the discs to run on the brake pads. The Beargrease feels like a mountain bike, when you step on the pedals it goes, but still handles fine in snow.

·
Registered
186 Posts
While I have not ridden a Mukluk I picked up a Beargrease in December and it does indeed handle much more like a mountain bike vs the 9 Zero 7 I rode a few times last year. I've been mixing up my trail riding so far this spring between my Beargrease and my Epic (older 26" model) and I've been faster on the Beargrease on the same trails. I really like the bike.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
What does this mean "rides more like a mountain bike"? Let's say I have 2 bikes, one is an all mountain upright rig and one is an xc stretched out race so they both ride completely different. Which one rides more like a mountain bike? Sorry not a personal attack this silly phrase has been over used on here.

Rant over back to the task at hand. I have ridden the bG a very little and the Muk never but saying the Muk is more upright has to be in the build and NOT the frame design, heck the Muk even has a shorter head tube. The effective top tubes are the same length, hell I bet you could build them using the same parts and just sitting on each one blind folded I doubt one could tell the difference. The cs is a 3 tenths of an inch longer on the Muk in the shortest position so that would be a little different. Now remember this is frame geo alone and not complete build as they might be set up completely different from the factory but nothing that couldn't be changed with a few bits.

As for ride like I said I have no friggen idea. For all I know the aluminum could be a noodle but just make sure when riding or taking advise only compare the most recent year as I heard some of the older Muks where a tad noodle-ish.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Really, I love my 9zero7 as it is, but hell I did not know the beargrease did ride so much better..

What size where the frames...!?
Both were mediums. Don't get me wrong - the rides on the 9zero7 left me smiling and helped me decide to get a fat bike.(and I was going to get one but I couldn't get one built for about 8 weeks) But it was like a tank, rolling over everything. And it was a blast. But after I got the Beargrease I was amazed how I could throw that thing around from the first ride on. It's quickly becoming my go to trail bike.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What does this mean "rides more like a mountain bike"? Let's say I have 2 bikes, one is an all mountain upright rig and one is an xc stretched out race so they both ride completely different. Which one rides more like a mountain bike? Sorry not a personal attack this silly phrase has been over used on here.
When I used that comparison, my Beargrease feels more like a XC race bike

·
Registered
460 Posts
The carbon Beargrease is so.much.stiffer. Way more performance oriented than my alu muk (have not ridden the ti version of the Muk). On paper the BG might not be that different from the Muk, but the latter feels like a tank, the former like a sports car.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've owned both '11 Mukluk and '14 BG... Both are great bikes! Really depends what you are looking to accomplish with the bike. If you are looking to race it. Hands down BG, the bike is incredible! It's really amazing what it can do! Slower paced adventure rides Mukluk is where it's at!

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
I haven't ridden this year's BG but I do have the current Mukluk. On paper the geo of both frames is similar. That said, the Mukluk comes with a setback post and shorter (?) stem, which could account for the more "upright" riding position.

As regards the Salsa frames and 9zero7, chain stay length of the Salsa frames with gears is 17.5"; 9zero7 is closer to 18."

·
Registered
1 Posts
My biggest concern is the way the bike rides. I loved the way the bg climbed and I imagine a lot of it was due to the carbon frame and stiffness. I would hate to buy a mukluk and be dissapointed. I dont imagine myself strapping on bags and racks either. aside from price would anyone prefer the aluminum mum vs BG?

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
My thought is that -if cost is less of a consideration between the two, then why not just go with the BG, especially since you've already tried one and like it? I haven't heard of anyone on these forums getting the BG and then wishing he/she had gone with the Mukluk. Between the main differences I see are price point, rack mounts and aesthetics (one can be powder coated to look like a traditional bike).

·
Registered
106 Posts
For what it's worth I rode an aluminum Mukluk up some steep downhill ski trails a week ago, up in the North Cascades. (no snow! loose packed gravel and dirt- this is almost summer after all. ) The mukluk climbs like a mountain goat. Previously tried out the 2014 mukluk TI, felt even better on the trail than the alum bike. Then got on a carbon BG and was blown away by how responsive it is, because of light weight. It's 5 or 6 pounds lighter, with lighter wheels than the Alum bike. The weight makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Took out my 2014 MUKLUK to my local trails, I was amazed at how it climbed, like a billygoat. I am sure the BG will feel even better. I would have gotten the BG, but since I need to buy the GF a bike, the BG was out of my price range. My buddy is building up a BG, cant wait until he finishes it so I can put it thru its paces. Either one you get you will NOT be disappointed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts