Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yetiski said:
Anyone find a rear rack that bolts up to those nice threaded holes all over the rear triangle.I would like a rack and put something to stop the slop from shooting up my back.
I think this could prob be in its own thread...

I mounted the Old Man Mountain Sherpa read rack for disk brakes. Its not perfect, but it works. I rode with it today for the first time. This will prob go though some additional modifications... The rack stays are just a fraction too short, so its tilting slightly forward. And the mounting brackets are not quite right. I do have clamps to attach it to the seat stays instead of the mount holes, but for now this is ok.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Just before reading this thread I tried a Bontrager rack on my Mukluk and it didn't even kinda fit.

I really like the look of this one, but I am thinking its not going to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
timhMN said:
I think this could prob be in its own thread...

I mounted the Old Man Mountain Sherpa read rack for disk brakes. Its not perfect, but it works. I rode with it today for the first time. This will prob go though some additional modifications... The rack stays are just a fraction too short, so its tilting slightly forward. And the mounting brackets are not quite right. I do have clamps to attach it to the seat stays instead of the mount holes, but for now this is ok.

That looks terrible.
I'm sure those experts at Salsa with their years of snow and adventure biking experience have a good solution for this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
...yeah, the OMM I bought from Speedway fit my Fatback like it was part of the frame design process...
 

·
Bicycle Obsessed
Joined
·
12 Posts
My Topeak Explorer mounted just fine after I clean out all of the mounting holes. I used the non-disc model because the disc model would not line up at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Looks like you need to get the longer stays that OMM sells. IIRC they come in 2" increments. Using the appropriate length stay will solve you angle discrepency and allow you to relocate the bottom bolt placement. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
9GUY9 said:
Just before reading this thread I tried a Bontrager rack on my Mukluk and it didn't even kinda fit.

I really like the look of this one, but I am thinking its not going to work.
Spyder tire fits...

https://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=45689&id=130651303616724




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pbasinger said:
That looks terrible.
I'm sure those experts at Salsa with their years of snow and adventure biking experience have a good solution for this.
I agree that its not right. I was just attempting to make due with the hardware I had on hand. I sent email to the OMM guys, and they recommend clamps on the seat stays instead of going to the frame eyelets. I'll prob play around with it some more this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
timhMN said:
I agree that its not right. I was just attempting to make due with the hardware I had on hand. I sent email to the OMM guys, and they recommend clamps on the seat stays instead of going to the frame eyelets. I'll prob play around with it some more this weekend.

Try removing the aluminum adapters completely and just bolt it directly to the frame at the lower seatstay mounts. You will have to spread the rack a little to get it to fit. Looks like there will be enough tire clearance. This is how we designed the Fat Backs.

If the seat stay mounts seem funny in this position, then get some traditional rack stays from a bike shop, the ones that are thinner and have a twist to them, drill 4 holes in the top plate of the rack and mount it up from the top of the rack instead of from the sides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Thanks for providing Tim with some advice their Pete. Mounting racks on most Fatbikes can be difficult as it is sometimes hard to find on that will just clear the tire. The OMM's are the most commonly used and can be configured/modified as Pete described to mount effectively and cleanly.

- Most every rack on the market will have to be spread to fit the wide back end of the Mukluk and the stays will have to be modified/tweaked to mount nice and clean at the seatstay.

Tim, being that you are in MN I'd be happy to find a time to connect and get that Rack mounted nice and clean. I've fidgeted with a few on my Mukluk, but ultimately have gotten away with using a frame bag/seatbag/and handlebar harness for the multi-day winter rides I've done. Pete and many others have experience at the big dance in AK. I've got little interest in winter *racing*. I'd rather carry a woodstove and relax around a fire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
pbasinger said:
Try removing the aluminum adapters completely and just bolt it directly to the frame at the lower seatstay mounts. You will have to spread the rack a little to get it to fit. Looks like there will be enough tire clearance. This is how we designed the Fat Backs.

If the seat stay mounts seem funny in this position, then get some traditional rack stays from a bike shop, the ones that are thinner and have a twist to them, drill 4 holes in the top plate of the rack and mount it up from the top of the rack instead of from the sides.

Here is a not very good picture of the same rack mounted on my Fat Back as described above. Notice how it's just mounted directly on without the use of the dropout mounting extensions.
I have the rack stays mounted on the top plate of my rack because that's where they worked on another bike of mine, but they'd work fine mounted from the side with those thick OMM rack stays and from the looks of your frame I'd guess it'd be the same.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pbasinger said:
Try removing the aluminum adapters completely and just bolt it directly to the frame at the lower seatstay mounts. You will have to spread the rack a little to get it to fit. Looks like there will be enough tire clearance. This is how we designed the Fat Backs.

If the seat stay mounts seem funny in this position, then get some traditional rack stays from a bike shop, the ones that are thinner and have a twist to them, drill 4 holes in the top plate of the rack and mount it up from the top of the rack instead of from the sides.
There isn't enough length in the OMM rack supports to reach the Mukluk lower seat stay mounts without the dropout adapters. It's about an inch short. In addition, it kind of seemed like the rack would be too far forward even if it did fit, panniers, etc might give you heal issues. I moved the rack struts to the seat stays using clamps, which allowed me to level it out - this is what was recommended to me by OMM. I had just wanted to see if I could get it to work without the clamps. I suspect different racks will look/work better with the upper mounts, but this being kind of a short rack to begin with I think the clamps look better as well as allow the rack to be leveled. I would like something different for the side extensions, but actually it does kind of provide a lot of connection options for bungee cords, etc.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
timhMN said:
There isn't enough length in the OMM rack supports to reach the Mukluk lower seat stay mounts without the dropout adapters. It's about an inch short. In addition, it kind of seemed like the rack would be too far forward even if it did fit, panniers, etc might give you heal issues. I moved the rack struts to the seat stays using clamps, which allowed me to level it out - this is what was recommended to me by OMM. I had just wanted to see if I could get it to work without the clamps. I suspect different racks will look/work better with the upper mounts, but this being kind of a short rack to begin with I think the clamps look better as well as allow the rack to be leveled. I would like something different for the side extensions, but actually it does kind of provide a lot of connection options for bungee cords, etc.

I'm sure that will work, but it is sitting really high and there is a lot of extra stuff down there with the dropout extensions. OMM makes a separate extension just for something like this.
Designed to mount to the frame but will give you another inch or 2 of length. If you have the tools and time you could cut down the dropout extensions you have to fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JMKM said:
Tim, being that you are in MN I'd be happy to find a time to connect and get that Rack mounted nice and clean. I've fidgeted with a few on my Mukluk, but ultimately have gotten away with using a frame bag/seatbag/and handlebar harness for the multi-day winter rides I've done. Pete and many others have experience at the big dance in AK. I've got little interest in winter *racing*. I'd rather carry a woodstove and relax around a fire.
Thanks a lot for the offer! If I don't come up with a solution I'm happy with, I'll definitely get in touch. I might tap you for possible handlebar mount solutions. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
these racks

So I might have missed part of this discussion, but what about these forthcoming racks from Salsa, the "Wanderlust?":



I picked up my mukluk today, and my LBS told me that they were specifically designed to fit the bike. From the Salsa website:

"Wanderlust rear rack - These are finished and are in transit. They will arrive around December 1st.

Minimalist rack - These have finally fully passed our CEN testing and are in production. Anticipated arrival to our world headquarters will be around Christmas time. Expect them in stock at our distributor around Jan 1st."


EDIT: It turns out that the Wanderlust does NOT fit the bike, but the Minimalist might. Read posts below....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pbasinger said:
I'm sure that will work, but it is sitting really high and there is a lot of extra stuff down there with the dropout extensions. OMM makes a separate extension just for something like this.
Designed to mount to the frame but will give you another inch or 2 of length. If you have the tools and time you could cut down the dropout extensions you have to fit.
I'm also sending the pics to OMM to see what they say. They don't show any alternate extensions as part of their rack mounting kits on their web site ( http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=O&Category_Code=MH ) but maybe they have custom stuff that's not listed or that can be made to order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Just got a OMM rack that is specific to the Mukluk. I think it was originally made for the Pugsley, but they sent it to me with non-offset hdwr. I took some measurements, and it looks like it will fit just fine. Should have my bike by this weekend, so I'll post an update once I get it mounted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
My LBS ordered a Delta Disc rack and said it should fit great.If it does not work they will just keep it in inventory.
 

·
Home of the Gravedigger
Joined
·
385 Posts
My OMM came with different brackets. Maybe these brackets would move the rack down and more forward so that it would be closer to the frame braze-ons.

<a href="https://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp356/jkaber/?action=view&current=001-5.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="https://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp356/jkaber/001-5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
 
1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Top