Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out for a nice Sunday trail ride on the Cuyuna today, I had to shift quickly for a steep incline, and snap went my chain ( I know better) I found my way off the trail and onto a paved road that would bring me into Ironton, Minnesota, A DNR officer passed me up walking my bike,turned around, and asked if I needed a ride, sure great I said, and The Mukluk and I were on our way to the trail head parking lot. Thanks to that DNR Officer, made my day a bit brighter. One problem , I think I left the stock Mukluk chain in the back of DNR Truck box, If I need to get a new chain, are some better than others, thanks Jim

·
Registered
244 Posts
PC-971 a little better chain ,muks came with pc 951 on it if it was a stock bike. The thing is if your old chain had to much time on it a new chain may skip on your old drivetrain. You don`t carry a chaintool & extra link to fix a broken chain on the trail? its sure better then that long walk out don`t ya think.

·
Registered
300 Posts
One problem , I think I left the stock Mukluk chain in the back of DNR Truck box, If I need to get a new chain, are some better than others, thanks Jim
If the ride back to the trailhead only cost you a broken chain, I think you got a good deal! :thumbsup:

Although I (and I'm sure others) would be curious to see what exactly broke. You can prolly look up the chain model on the Salsa website.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will get a new chain, mine broke just like pictures in mukluk we have a problem . I did not have a extra link or tool with today, next time I will>! funny, I have a old diamond back 11 year old, same original chain with tons of miles ,and never a issue, better quality chains back in the day?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I will get a new chain, mine broke just like pictures in mukluk we have a problem . I did not have a extra link or tool with today, next time I will>! funny, I have a old diamond back 11 year old, same original chain with tons of miles ,and never a issue, better quality chains back in the day?
Apparently. I've broken a chain or two, but under circumstances that were obscene.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
funny, I have a old diamond back 11 year old, same original chain with tons of miles ,and never a issue, better quality chains back in the day?
They used to use 6-8 speed rear clusters, which had less gears to fit inside the same area, so chains were wider and thicker. Also, they are making chains more flexible now so they shift faster and cross chain better, which improves performance but hurts durability.

Hope this helps.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
They used to use 6-8 speed rear clusters, which had less gears to fit inside the same area, so chains were wider and thicker. Also, they are making chains more flexible now so they shift faster and cross chain better, which improves performance but hurts durability.

Hope this helps.
Agreed. New 9 and 10 spd chains are amazing feats of enginerding, but don't have the long term durability since there is less material to wear and hold up to extreme conditions.

I've switched my Mukluk to a Wipperman Connex chain. Higher strength test results, and longevity is claimed to be better. Shift quality is excellent so far.

I'll see how it holds up this winter, but so far I am doing fine.

·
rth009
996 Posts
Ive had a different problem with the stock Mukluk 2, KMC chain. Ive had links seize on me three times, such that Ive had to remove the bad link and put 2 sram gold and 1 kmc powerlinks in to get them to work right. Thats three link seizures in 180 miles. I use blue rocknroll, and do my best to apply it when its above 40 degrees. What am I doing wrong.

·
Registered
176 Posts
other than on my trials bikes i've only ever broken one chain, a 10 spd dynasis xtr chain. I find that chains usually only break under poor shifting, or improper installation. it can take time put usually a shimano chain will break where it was originally put together. i've found that shimano chains shift better and make less noise, but sram chains tend to be stronger (and i don't like to use master links cuz they tend to be garb)

wipperman chains are quite good, but i still think the rohloff chains are the ****! great shifting, strong, little noise and expensive

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.