Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took what was perhaps my most fun ride yet on my Muklulk this weekend, high in the hills behind my house. The snow in the spring, after being subjected to multiple freeze/thaw cycles, is so solid that you can travel fast and ride almost anywhere you want - and I had a feeling I was going to end up way back in the wilderness, not on any established trail. Long story short, I was paranoid about getting stuck alone with a flat tire and only my cheapy mini-pump, so I grabbed the frame pump off of my road bike on a whim as I headed out. It worked PERFECT, so I thought I'd share.

This is an extra-large Topeak Master Blaster Road, on a large Mukluk. Just had to mount if backwards of normal. If there's a major plus to the bike's unique cable routing, I think I just found it. It held fast through multiple endos and generally worked perfect unless I needed to shoulder the bike. (I later figured out that I could temporarily reverse it to the top of the tube if necessary, as shown in the photos.)

The only thing that would make this better is a peg on the seat tube, facing forward. If anybody knows of an after-market add-on, I'd love to hear about it. And "no," I didn't get a flat.

Attachments

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
iamkeith said:
The only thing that would make this better is a peg on the seat tube, facing forward. If anybody knows of an after-market add-on, I'd love to hear about it. And "no," I didn't get a flat.
What about a zip tie, with a head that fits in the pump's indentation? Super cheap and easy :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Drevil said:
Good start, but that one faces parallel to the tube its mounted on. My solution would require a peg that faces perpendicular to the mounting surface, just like the traditional pegs that are brazed on the back of many head tubes - except that it would be at the seat tube in this case. I suppose you could mount that one on the top tube, but it would mandate using a shorter pump with less volume. The other problem is that the Mukluk top tube is so fat and ovalized, where the seat tube is round and normal sized.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rushman3 said:
Keith,

Where were those photo's taken?
Hoback Mountains, which are part of the Wyoming Range. Link to a description here. Its one of the few places around here that aren't "true" Wilderness (which would prohibit mechanized travel), but are still in snow. I'm just not quite ready to end my first season of snow biking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts