Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm racing Maui Xterra in a few weeks, and I was wondering if you guys have any reccomendations for a tire set up.

I'm guessing it's going to be quite muddy, as it's on the north side of the island.

I'm thinking I'm going to run the Captain 2.2 in the front. But for the rear, I'm looking for probably a 1.9 something rather, and something that's going to shed the mud quite well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ryan

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I'm not sure how much of the course has changed this year, but in previous years you had to worry about flats and tire gashes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That Conti looks decent, but trying to find it in a 29er may prove difficult :)

As for the course change, this is the quote

The bike is one big loop that goes up-and-down the lower slopes of the West Maui Mountains more than a dozen times. “First blush of the bike course shows 18 miles with more than 3,000 feet of elevation gain,” said Nicholas. “The terrain varies from hard-packed red dirt to new single track peeled out of an abandoned golf course that now rides like high speed grassland cross-country trails. There are major gulch crossings that drop into river beds and head-high vegetation to navigate through. One thing is for certain, to do well riders will need to bring their climbing legs and descending courage.”

I don't really know how courageous you'll need to be to be honest, but I think it's going to be muddy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.