Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You would think that common sense would deter Open Space trail users from the muddy mess that exists after days of rain and snow, but it just doesn't work. As I crested the corner of Pine Ridge Rd on my after work road laps there they were, three or four cars in the White Ranch lot loading up muddy ass bikes. I mean, it's not even close to being ridable right now, WTF are they thinking. I thought about stoping and explaining some things to them, but I was just at the peak of my buzz so I kept going. I have myself to blame as well for not educating, but what about some big Open Space signage that is up year-round or even winter/spring that says something like "If it's muddy do not pass". Maybe there already is something like this but I have never noticed it.

I just needed to rant a bit,I have no real answers, but I know those guys left some big ass ruts. I guess it happens every year though and they get ridden down.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Proposed signage - nice and big, black lettering, white background, conspicuously posted - maybe we could take it a step further with phonetic spelling and pictures for those of us who are a bit more "challenged"

Apologies to Keaton, whose picture just happened to work with my sign.

Attachments

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
jugdish said:
Same with(Ass )Halls, idiots. That's what a road bike is for.
What's with the high(er) concentration of arses at Halls? I tend to avoid Hall so I don't have to yield to every freaking biker in Boulder County as they bomb down Hall while I'm climbing up.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Jdub said:
What's with the high(er) concentration of arses at Halls? I tend to avoid Hall so I don't have to yield to every freaking biker in Boulder County as they bomb down Hall while I'm climbing up.
No clue, literally. I pass Halls daily and rarely ride there for the same reasons. I just shake my head and laugh (cry) at those who so desperately need to get a ride in they'll tear up the trail. As for bombing down the trail, you should see the look of confusion when I pull off to the side when I'm coming down for riders climbing, like it was the last thing in the world they'd expect.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
people have sh!t for brains. They just can't put 2+2 together. Since natural selection no longer weeds out the stupid, we have to rely on behavoir modification to change behavoir. Nothing can change a person's attitude as fast as a good beating, or some electric voltage applied to the testicles. I'm going to start carrying an electric cattle prod around with me!

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Renegade said:
people have sh!t for brains. They just can't put 2+2 together. Since natural selection no longer weeds out the stupid, we have to rely on behavoir modification to change behavoir. Nothing can change a person's attitude as fast as a good beating, or some electric voltage applied to the testicles. I'm going to start carrying an electric cattle prod around with me!
Pearls of wisdom there...

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
Pearls of wisdom there...
Poor decisions regarding trail use do fire me up, sometimes not in a reasoning, intellectual fashion. I just get mean.

Edit: I see that you understood me, You've quoted me in your signature!
I have even greater pearls of wisdom after a few pints of ale!

·
Trail Sanitizer
467 Posts
I used to...

I used to ride in the mud but soon realized it was hard on my bike (I'm lazy and don't like to wash it) and hard on the trails. The trail bed gets destroyed and the trails widen to a point where SUVs could drive them. Educating people is always hard. Getting them to volunteer to repair the trails that they gouge/widen is even harder.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Loudpawlz said:
Add something about picking up dog sh!t and you've got it.
My favorite subject - why is it that 90% of the [email protected] who pick up their dog's poo using the provided black plastic baggies turn around and throw said baggy on the side of the trail? Like the dog's poo is only offensive to others if it is not wrapped in litter? This baffles me - I'd rather smell dog doo than see it in the form of lumpy, non-biodegradable black baggies all along the trail.

Renegade - I was being serious in the post above - that was one of the best one liners I've stumbled across in a month or two.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
haven't been to White or Hall

for 2 years due to the crowds, etc. I agree, let the trails dry out. This time of year it is roadriding season. Plus, Hall/White require most to load the car & drive. 1 hour roundtrip of driving for a 2 hr ride?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
jimmy said:
for 2 years due to the crowds, etc. I agree, let the trails dry out. This time of year it is roadriding season. Plus, Hall/White require most to load the car & drive. 1 hour roundtrip of driving for a 2 hr ride?
One hour roundtrip of driving for a two hour ride can't be all that uncommon. I do that on a regular basis. Not everyone lives in the foothills. I live in downtown Denver and it takes me at least a half-hour to get to just about any trail and I ride very regularly. Just a few weeks ago I drove 8 hours for a 4 hour ride (GJ).

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
It's supposed to be...

s1ngletrack said:
My favorite subject - why is it that 90% of the [email protected] who pick up their dog's poo using the provided black plastic baggies turn around and throw said baggy on the side of the trail? Like the dog's poo is only offensive to others if it is not wrapped in litter? This baffles me - I'd rather smell dog doo than see it in the form of lumpy, non-biodegradable black baggies all along the trail.

Renegade - I was being serious in the post above - that was one of the best one liners I've stumbled across in a month or two.
... the universal sign for "I'm picking up the dog [email protected] on the way back" but I think most idiots have the attention span of a fruit fly and forget about it.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
bulletbob said:
... the universal sign for "I'm picking up the dog [email protected] on the way back" but I think most idiots have the attention span of a fruit fly and forget about it.
I talked to a ranger at a nearby dog-allowed area about this. His take was that if you're going to bag it to "pick up later," you might as well not even bag it, as only about 10% of those bags ever get picked up.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Dog crap bags - I drop em and always pick it up on the way back. And if I see another one, I usually pick that one up as well. If only 10% of them were picked up, the math would seem to suggest an infinite number of bags lining our trails since plastic doesn't biodegrade.

Popular crowded trails - Hall, White and other popular trails are popular because they're close and they're good. If you don't like crowds, go early. I usually hit Hall at 6am on the weekends - until the high country stuff dries up - and rarely see a soul. My hunch is that it and similar trails stay pretty darn clear till mid-morning. But don't complain about a good convenient trail being crowded in the middle of a late spring afternoon. Don't like crowds? Either go remote, get up early or ride the community ditch trail.

Oh yeah, people that ride on muddy trails or ride around muddy sections (argh!) are lame. S... in bad mood :mad:

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
DSR said:
Popular crowded trails - Hall, White and other popular trails are popular because they're close and they're good.
Yeah I realize anything that is close and good is going to get crowded, but crowded and full of no yielding arses is a different thing. I guess I just get huffy when people are in too much of a hurry or flow to give people common respect. I love bombing down the trail on the way down, but I ALWAYS yield and it isn't that hard to do.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.