Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. A few weeks ago, i went biking at my local trail. However, days of downpour resulted in extreme slippery muddy conditions. My tire was pumped at around 35-45PSI. I experienced so much skids that i decided to lower my tire pressure. It did help to some degree, considering my tire is a small knob tire.

However, lowering the pressure would mean increased risk of pinch flats. Im considering if i should go tubeless. Not only low pressure meant increased grip, it also increases comfort as it absorbs most of the vibrations.

If i ever go the tubeless way, wat rims would you guys recommend? :) Also, how do i use tubeless? I have yet to see my friends running tubeless so i rly have no clue abt it.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
AScott_user said:
Hi guys. A few weeks ago, i went biking at my local trail. However, days of downpour resulted in extreme slippery muddy conditions. My tire was pumped at around 35-45PSI. I experienced so much skids that i decided to lower my tire pressure. It did help to some degree, considering my tire is a small knob tire.

However, lowering the pressure would mean increased risk of pinch flats. Im considering if i should go tubeless. Not only low pressure meant increased grip, it also increases comfort as it absorbs most of the vibrations.

If i ever go the tubeless way, wat rims would you guys recommend? :) Also, how do i use tubeless? I have yet to see my friends running tubeless so i rly have no clue abt it.
No need to think about tubeless until and if you start having frequent pinch flats. I rarely use more than 30-32psi with tubes and have a pinch flat less than once a year.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shiggy said:
No need to think about tubeless until and if you start having frequent pinch flats. I rarely use more than 30-32psi with tubes and have a pinch flat less than once a year.
Hmm. I see. So whats the pressure range eu recommended? Cause i ever experienced a pinch on a nevegal when i pumped it at 45PSI. I was rly shocked. I've experienced 2 pinches for the past 6 mths.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
On my last ride I was running 19psi front and 15psi rear. I'm 165#s. Now I will admit, it did feel like I should have been running 2-3psi higher to prevent pinching the tires. But it's a far cry from 35psi.

I get great traction and the lower pressure really helps soak up some of the bumps as well. With mucky conditions, the lower psi really helps with traction.

As far as pinch flats go. I just changed my tube because I changed my tires. The tubes were the original tires from 1996.

30psi is pretty high pressure for me. I run those when I'm on fire roads in the summer.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
AScott_user said:
Hmm. I see. So whats the pressure range eu recommended? Cause i ever experienced a pinch on a nevegal when i pumped it at 45PSI. I was rly shocked. I've experienced 2 pinches for the past 6 mths.
Et depends on eur wa8, specific tire, terrain n riding style.

(Damn I hate stupid abbreviations)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shiggy said:
Et depends on eur wa8, specific tire, terrain n riding style.

(Damn I hate stupid abbreviations)
I see. My weight is around 52kg. Im using my stock scott tires, but its wire bead with small knobs. Terrain is average rocky to rooty and rocky with lots of tree roots , sometimes muddy to hardpacked single tracks and moderate downhills with small log drops. Riding style is just some basic XC. Havent really gone up to hardcore XC yet.

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
I would try running either Stans or a DIY ghetto tubeless setup with your current equpment before getting new a new wheelset. At the very least it will allow you have much more flexibility with your pressure range. I am running stans on non ust WTB tires with WTB speeddisc wheels. I usually run around 30psi front and 35psi rear. I could run a little lower (and have) but for reliability, since im 230#, I run a little higher. Since converting to tubeless Ive had zero issues with flats or tears.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Buzzaro said:
I would try running either Stans or a DIY ghetto tubeless setup with your current equpment before getting new a new wheelset. At the very least it will allow you have much more flexibility with your pressure range. I am running stans on non ust WTB tires with WTB speeddisc wheels. I usually run around 30psi front and 35psi rear. I could run a little lower (and have) but for reliability, since im 230#, I run a little higher. Since converting to tubeless Ive had zero issues with flats or tears.
Hi bro, do the NoTubes tubeless conversion come with instructions? I certainly have no clue about tubeless. :lol:

Oh yes, just to include, im planning this system for my new bike. My new bike will be offroad oriented as my current bike isnt really good/comfortable to use on offroad since most of the parts i used is meant for recreational use(apart from the RD). Its nice to ride it as a hybrid, but its a pain in the arse to ride offroad.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I should add that my tires are 2.2 Specialized Purgatory front and 2.0 Specialized Storm in the rear. It's a 12 y/o hardtail.

The reason I run these tires is to deal with the mucky conditions are trails are most of the year.

·
Registered
156 Posts
How about this...unless you are riding on private trails or expect to be doing a sh**load of trailwork you don't need to worry about proper tire pressure, you just shouldn't be riding on muddy trails. The amount of damage inflicted on trail systems by riding in those conditions is pretty heinous. Either wait until they dry out or until they freeze, then you can worry about tire pressure.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
You maybe going about this in the wrong way. Tire pressure is a factor, but your tire type is more important. You need to have tires that cut into the mud (think pizza cutter)and have wide spaced knobs. A 2.0 will work well. Larger tires like a 2.2 or 2.4 (real sizes) will float on top of the mud and feel slippery.

That being said, I must agree with the above post about limiting your time on muddy trails. If there is just a muddy section here and there, no big deal. But, when the entire trail is a mud pit, you may want to consider some fun time on some fire roads. They are not as technically challenging, but they can be fun when you slide around turns in the mud.:D

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Unfortunately in the Pacific Northwest where it rains 300 days a year, if you avoid mud, then you get to ride for 3-5 weeks between mid-July to September.

It's always wet. It gets dark by 4:30. Earlier in the woods. We have wet riding gear and we have bright lights. Otherwise we mind as well be riding trainers indoors.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
traffic002 said:
Unfortunately in the Pacific Northwest where it rains 300 days a year, if you avoid mud, then you get to ride for 3-5 weeks between mid-July to September.

It's always wet. It gets dark by 4:30. Earlier in the woods. We have wet riding gear and we have bright lights. Otherwise we mind as well be riding trainers indoors.
Bummer on the rainfall, but its all nice an green up there.:D

I'll bet the Kenda small block eight does not sell well up there at all.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
traffic002 said:

Same here. We experience the monsoon seasons and heavy rains throughtout the year. Most of the time the trail is wet. Some areas its muddy because the trees and shrubs covers the trail, hence the rain water couldn't evaporate that quick and forms muddy pools.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.