Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Its seems that I have been having soem extremely muddy conditions in my neck of the woods ( which is rare) so do you guys have any tips for how to clean your bike after a muddy ride. Also is there anything I should put on the gears and chain, maybe a really good greese that works awsome on your bike. Thanks guys look forward to hearing from ya.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use a regular garden hose and a rag or a sponge and when the mud is really sticky I use a small amount of Bio-degreaser.
I de-grease my chain and re-grease it when the chain is dry.

I NEVER use a high-pressure spraying pistol, because water gets in places it normally wouldn't and this can ruin your bearings and other components.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Cool, what do you use for grease? I don't want crappy grease and I will pay a good buck for the stuff that will keep my bike riding perfect. Thanks alot Preppie

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Don't use grease on drive train

JRuss said:
Ok Cool, what do you use for grease? I don't want crappy grease and I will pay a good buck for the stuff that will keep my bike riding perfect. Thanks alot Preppie
Grease lubricants should be used on component internals such as the bearings in your hubs and headset. If you're doing your preventative maintenance on these items, there are a ton of good products out there, just check with your LBS for recommendation. As for regular lubrication of your drive train components (chain, cassette, etc) use a liquid lubricant especially made for this. Again, a ton of good choices out there, just check around. Lube the drive train right after cleaning it. This gives the lubricant time to work it's way into the components, and allows the other inert materials time to evaporate before your next ride. This will also minimize the amount of dirt and other material that will inevitably build up on the components.

I hope this helps.

Clyde

·
Registered
112 Posts
JRuss said:
I use Pedro's.
It's not that expensive.
What "Call_me_Clyde" wrote is correct, I also re-grease my headset, hubs,
bottombracket once every 2 months with this :

and lube my chain +/- every week (or after I de-greased it) with this :

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, also I have found that dirt sits on the part were my stations of my fork go into the lowers. Do I just spray this out with the hose or just leave it?? Thanks guys always helpful to have experiensed riders helping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.