Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the lookout for some decent 2.5" dual ply tyres to replace some worn high rollers, they'll be a general use DH tyre, but most trails I ride are wet/damp/rooty so I was leaning towards the Muddy Mary as it seems suited to exactly that, and I've always found Schwalbe tyres very good - until I saw the weight - 1390g. That's almost half a pound more than the High Rollers, and I don't particularly want to add another pound to a bike that's already plenty heavy.

Any suggestions? Is the Ardent what I'm after? Swamp things are probably too mud-specific for what I'm after, while the Continental Baron is a bit lighter, but very expensive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Muddy Marry's are great tires and they aren't heavy.
2.5" schwalbes are more like 2.7-2.6" maxxis, so they're basically the same weight.
I have personally only done 1 run on the ardent's on a freinds bike, they rolled faster than my MM's but in the wet/ loose spots they didn't have nearly as much grip.
BTW from what i've heard the ardent's have a longer lasting life than MM's

·
zombie freerider
152 Posts
Here's an option that might work out well: Continental Rain King 2.5 DH tire. Claimed weight of 950g, it's dual ply and the black chili rubber is pretty sweet. I've rolled other black chili tires like the RQ and it's good stuff. Huck n Roll has them for like 45 bucks (only 1 in stock so good luck). Pick up some tubes to get over $50, i think and you get it shipped free.

·
Registered
427 Posts
SaddleRags said:
Here's an option that might work out well: Continental Rain King 2.5 DH tire. Claimed weight of 950g, it's dual ply and the black chili rubber is pretty sweet. I've rolled other black chili tires like the RQ and it's good stuff. Huck n Roll has them for like 45 bucks (only 1 in stock so good luck). Pick up some tubes to get over $50, i think and you get it shipped free.
your right about the rain kings-- now renamed to Der Baron being good tires, but weight wise, conti revised the quoted weight- they are roughly quoted now for being 1.3 kgs.

I havent heard one bad thing about them from any users.

personally ill be running Der kaiser up front and a rain kin/ Der baron on the rear this season

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
my dh casing muddy marys weigh 1330-1340 g. i'll sell them to you for a decent price if you're interested. the tire itself is hella awesome despite the weight. you'd have a hard time pinchflatting or poking holes in them.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SaddleRags said:
Yeah, the Rain King is now renamed Der Baron.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.