Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

mud

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  earl06 
#1 ·
Took the dog out to the LL for a moonlight hike last night. Got there at ~9 when everything was frozen hard. As soon as I got off the DT and onto Kurt's I hit the first frozen rut. You know the kind--4" deep and plain as day what kind of tire left them. Lots of 'em throughout the rest of the hike.

Looks like the warmer temps are starting to melt things out, and the goop is starting to show up in the afternoons. Hate seeing ruts form out of disrespect or apathy. Ruts from a good hard rain don't seem to bother me as much.

Anyhoo--please ride early and let the trails breaths in the afternoons. At these temps it should only be a few weeks til everything is thawed and rideable again.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

MC

#2 ·
mikesee said:
Took the dog out to the LL for a moonlight hike last night. Got there at ~9 when everything was frozen hard. As soon as I got off the DT and onto Kurt's I hit the first frozen rut. You know the kind--4" deep and plain as day what kind of tire left them. Lots of 'em throughout the rest of the hike.

Looks like the warmer temps are starting to melt things out, and the goop is starting to show up in the afternoons. Hate seeing ruts form out of disrespect or apathy. Ruts from a good hard rain don't seem to bother me as much.

Anyhoo--please ride early and let the trails breaths in the afternoons. At these temps it should only be a few weeks til everything is thawed and rideable again.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

MC
Here! Here! Been seeing those ruts on the Kokopelli, too. My rule of thumb is that if the tires sink to sidewalls (meaning past the tread), I turn around.

#3 ·
Ya!

Good rule of thumb! I no thinky of that- I dumb, you smart. Thanks for lernen me someum new.:thumbsup:

Quick clarification- there is no way those ruts where 4" deep, it was a lot muddier than that and my buddy weighs way to much to only leave a 4" deep rut (His hindquarter alone would do that). They had to be at least 6".:p

Should be good today around 2:36-4:31.

Cheers
BRs (the "s" is for smart-as...)
P.S. Don't get yerrn G-string so knotted, twisted, and torqued that it becomes uncomfortable, shoot, I is jis kidden folks.:D

#5 ·
I'm predicting (based on the accuweather forecast and my own genius) that the first day the trails (LL and 18) are gonna be prime is............FEB. 4 (Kokopelli FEB. 1). Mark your calendars. Looks like Feburary is gonna be good! No more lows in the single digits or teens! Think postive and it will happen.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.