Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Almost every tire brand have a special mud tire for 26, but had not been able to get one on 29er size. Are they available? Can I get away with a cyclocross tire? If so, wich one would you recomend me? Wich width? Can I use them tubeless on my 355?
Any response would be great!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
onixbonilla said:
Hi! Almost every tire brand have a special mud tire for 26, but had not been able to get one on 29er size. Are they available? Can I get away with a cyclocross tire? If so, wich one would you recomend me? Wich width? Can I use them tubeless on my 355?
Bonty Mud X

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
rear recomendation

Fire XC Pro (rear only)

Nothing like the 26" version on performance. MUCH better all round, with excellent traction in the gloop, even under full power when in the really deep slow going stuff. Tracks well too on the techy wet ups

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
bonesetter2004 said:
Fire XC Pro (rear only)

Nothing like the 26" version on performance. MUCH better all round, with excellent traction in the gloop, even under full power when in the really deep slow going stuff. Tracks well too on the techy wet ups
My experience with the FireXC Pro is that they turn into mudballs when introduced to ANYTHING wet. And ... they don't very well.

Double ... Triple the rating on the Mountain King. Not only to they excel in the mud, they are also a decent performer in dryer conditions.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
onixbonilla said:
What kind of mud (soil) are you talking about?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
My experience with the FireXC Pro is that they turn into mudballs when introduced to ANYTHING wet. And ... they don't very well.

Double ... Triple the rating on the Mountain King. Not only to they excel in the mud, they are also a decent performer in dryer conditions.
Hmmm... looks like your mileage is going to vary. What conditions do you have, and this should help the OP decide?

My UK 'woodsy' conditions - leafy mulsh mixed with wet 'n' sloppy, wet 'n' sticky clay, wet roots, stones (no rocks) etc.

They are better than Kenda Klaws, Michelin AT, Bonty ACX to name a few I have tried in these conditions

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:

Clay ...

Hey no doubt that the Fire XC is a great all around tire. I used them for years. But ...

1) There are newer, better, all around tires like the Panaracer Rampage and Kenda Nevegal.
2) The guy was asking about a tire specifically for mud.

Horses for courses. I have off road wheelsets for my mountain bike. On the primary set is a Rampage/Ardent (used to be Rampage/Rampage). On the second set is Mountain King 2.4. I mix and match according to conditions just by switching wheels.

BTW, the third set turns my bike into a cruiser with Schwalbe Big Apple 2.3".

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
bonesetter2004 said:
Hmmm... looks like your mileage is going to vary. What conditions do you have, and this should help the OP decide?

My UK 'woodsy' conditions - leafy mulsh mixed with wet 'n' sloppy, wet 'n' sticky clay, wet roots, stones (no rocks) etc.

They are better than Kenda Klaws, Michelin AT, Bonty ACX to name a few I have tried in these conditions
I use the Fire XC Pros for mud as well (and they are great fall season riding tires to boot). The 29"er version is a much better tire (more aggressive) than the 26" version I used to ride. Great on snow as well (that's what they are doing on my RIP this winter). Nothing but clay mud around where I live. It doesn't get any nastier.:madman:

The tread is aggressive and open enough to shed mud and keep churning in all but the nastiest of nasty. And those big square lugs dig and dig.

There are certain kinds of mud (clay following a decent rain) that it doesn't matter what the heck tire you are running. The Bone Bender in Missouri had the majority of us DNF in the first lap because of this.... (photo's courtesy of Brandon Harpster):

The bikes weighed nearly 60 lbs + within the first 1/2 mile of the 3/6 hour race and most of us could no longer turn the cranks due to the chains being glued and stuck with mud and the build up of mud around the fork arch and chainstay area preventing any wheels from rolling. My advice in those conditions is to go home and ride when things dry out (or if it is a scheduled event, just cancel the race).

BB

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
:thumbsup: Got to 2nd the MudX :thumbsup: I ordered one and gave it a try and it works fantastic, clears almost instantly in our clayey mud and has a much better/softer compound than the Mtn.King (I own both 2.2" and 2.4") AND it has the added protection of the TLR casing AND airs up without even needing sealant in my experience - but do add sealant for punctures. I have run it on the front with a 2.2" Mtn.King rear and recently threw it on the back with the 2.4" Mtn.King front and so says it works fantastic either place, whereas I'll use the Mtn.King on the rear only in our mud and roots.
shiggy said:
Bonty Mud X

·
Lazy People Suck
771 Posts
My go to mud tires have always been the Kenda Klaws. I have not tried the Contis, but the Klaws generally can be found pretty cheaply. They shed pretty well and consistent as to when they break loose, which has always been important to me when pushing the limits.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've been running the Schwalbe Albert K's (used to be the Little Alberts) with great success. It doesn't pack up and has great grip. There are a lot of us who use that tire here in Wisconsin (although most switch it out for racing in dry conditions, then it's SM8's that dominate).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.