Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Advanced Slacker
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a rear tire for winter riding in the southeast. I need widely spaced knobs that will penetrate through the wet, slimy leaves. I want something like the old conti-survival pro tire, which is, IMO the best ever made in the 26" size for what I want.

The Rampage on there is just not cutting it. The Nevegal I run on the front worked a little better, but I want something better, with some serious driving bite, I don't care how it rolls.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
kapusta said:
I am looking for a rear tire for winter riding in the southeast. I need widely spaced knobs that will penetrate through the wet, slimy leaves. I want something like the old conti-survival pro tire, which is, IMO the best ever made in the 26" size for what I want.

The Rampage on there is just not cutting it. The Nevegal I run on the front worked a little better, but I want something better, with some serious driving bite, I don't care how it rolls.

Thanks
Try a Conti Mountain King.

The Bonty Mud X is a great mudder but I do not know about the leaves.

I still need the try the Panaracer Fire Cross in the mud/wet. It still may be the most aggressive tread on a 700C tire.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
kapusta said:

Thanks
There isn't anything like the Continental Survival Pro for the 29"er. I rode that tire in the off-season front and rear as well for leaf covered, mud infested fall/winter/early spring riding. It's an amazing tire for traction. What would it weigh in a 29"er version?:eek:

Most of the 29"er tires that come up in discussion with regards to mud include, but are not limited to, the following...

Continental Mountain King
Kenda Klaw
Fire XC Pro
Bontrager Mud X

If you want to get creative with your snippers/knife/Dremel - you can open up the tread to create your own custom mudder.

Personally, I have ridden the Kenda Klaw rear and the Fire XC Pro in the rear for a lot of mud without any modification to the tread. I think a lot of guys over in sloppy merry old England are having success with the Fire XC Pro in the mud.

It's got an aggressive tread (much better than the 26"er version). I've run it in 24 hour events as well as the conditions you describe of wet leaves where you need some tread to dig down deep to the earth underneath. I've got the Nevegals and Klaws as well, but the Fire XC Pro is the closest of the rubber I own that performs like the Survival Pro. Not entirely, but close enough to work quite well.

If you take a look at the tread, it would be very easy to open it up by removing some alternative knobs, but I have found them to shed fairly well as is..

The other avenue to pursue is going with narrower tires to dig down through the mud to some dry grip. A rear tire like a Schwalbe Little Albert or a less aggressive tread like the XR 1.8 surprisingly cuts through and works well in the kind of mud that has dry stuff underneath it. Not all mud is created equal, so you have to choose what works best in your type of terrain and soil.

And sometimes you just have to stay off the trails and wait for Ma Nature to bake them back into some kind of condition that you can ride. Unfortunately, there are no Survival Pros in the big hoop size. Those triangle deep knobs are amazing - that's for sure. They also come in handy in the spring to till your garden. ;-)

BB

·
Advanced Slacker
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kapusta said:

Thanks
Interesting, I have a Mountain King 2.4 on the back of my 26" bike. I like it all around quite a lot, and it is great in the wet (rocks and roots). I never really paid much attention to how it did in the wet leaves. I'll look into that.

I guess I should be asking for more of a leaf tire than a mud tire. The mud does not get too deep, it's just really slick on the top. If you can get down under the surface, it's usually OK. Probably the same requirements, though.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Conti Mtn.King

Ditto :thumbsup: got to be one of the most open tread designs out there and the deepest tread. Best bet would be to go with the 2.2" version if the muds real thick and get some more clearance. I've provided a side by side comparison of the Mtn.King 2.4" next to a Rampage.

PanFry said:
Continental MTN Kings. Period.

PF

Attachments

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
UK mud rider

I found the Mountain King good in Autumnal conditions, but when the wet and mud set in it started squirming and skating in runny slop.

Ran the Stout up front for a bit and was initially impressed - could run super low (19psi) pressure (with a tube), grip in most wet, muddy conditions was good, BUT it's a slow and heavy tyre. Makes for sluggish acceleration.

I second BB's recommendation as I run the Fire XC Pro in the rear now. This has amazing grip on everything. You wont go far wrong with it.

Up front I run a Kenda Klaw. It's light, rolls well and has good grip - pretty much does everything I want out of a front winter tyre.

As for cutting through wet leaves, I really don't think anything will

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
The mountain king CLEARS rapidly out of mud. For me this is very important.

Rampage, Firex XC Pro, WTB Stout do not.

This is not meant to disparage these tires. Rampage is my favorite tire for hardpack, Fire XC Pro is no slouch. WTB Stout is probably better for dryer climates with loose surfaces, I haven't found a use for it here in Indiana yet.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
kapusta said:

Thanks
Huh, the Nevegal in Stick-E worked great on my 26 in the mud, roots, and leaves....but it's HEAVY and I feel it on the climbs and flats. They roll way too slow and therefore I'm still riding my stock 29er tires until I find a light and fast rollin tire for it. Good luck and keep us posted on what you go with and how it does.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like Bonesetter, I have found the Conti Mtn King perfect for dry'ish Autumn rides, but a little slippery in more recent winter mud (UK). They clear nicely and roll well, but the central tread is not deep enough to cut through and grip. Will be putting on some Bonty Mud X's in the next day or so, which are significantly deeper and should do better.

J

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
kapusta said:
I guess I should be asking for more of a leaf tire than a mud tire. The mud does not get too deep, it's just really slick on the top. If you can get down under the surface, it's usually OK. Probably the same requirements, though.
Again, if it is more of a "leaf" tire you are after - you can't go wrong with the Fire XC Pro. It's got the aggressive knobs for deep leaf digging much in the same manner as the Survival Pros. The knobs are not of the soft variety, but very much like the digging firmness of the Survival Pros. Volume wise, it's really a 2.2 even though it's labeled as a 2.1 tire. Mounted up on wider rims, the tire takes on a monster truck aggression...

BB

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've used Michelin XC AT 2.0 tires in various types of mud and quite like them.
Not to heavy, not to wide, wide spaced knobs and good self cleaning characteristics.
They cut through mud well and have low rolling resistance to.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Stout...

I have not ridden many of the others but the Stouts are nice. I think they are a good compromise between the soft rubber of a Nevegal and the hard rubber "dig" of a Conti Survival (if you recall that one).

Ever get that spring rate figured out on the Heckler's 5th Element ;)

·
Advanced Slacker
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mountain King questions....

LyNx said:
Ditto :thumbsup: got to be one of the most open tread designs out there and the deepest tread. Best bet would be to go with the 2.2" version if the muds real thick and get some more clearance. I've provided a side by side comparison of the Mtn.King 2.4" next to a Rampage.
Can you get a total tread width comparison between those two tires (Rampage 2.35 and MK 2.4)? The rampage I have on now is the absolute maximum width that I can use with my current setup. I'd like to even go a few mm narrower if possible.

From the picture, it looks like they have similar tread depths. How much taller are the knobs on the MK?

Also, anyone know how the knobs compare on the 2.4 vs 2.2 MK's?

Thanks.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Happy to

Not a prob, I actually did full measurements on them when I mounted them up for that photo. Mounted on STANS Flow rims @ 40 PSI, measurements I got are as follows...........

Mtn King 2.4" - Casing Width=55.5mm, Tread Width = 61.5mm
Casing Height = 71mm, Knob height = 74mm

Rampage 2.35" - Casing Width= 57mm, Tread Width = 61mm
Casing Height = 69.5mm, Knob Height = 73mm

As to how is the 2.2" version - anorexic, is the best way to describe it. Definitely not an avg 2.2" tyre, more like a 1.95", so prob would be good in a serious mud fest giving loads of clearance - haven't tried it myself since rainy season started as I went tubeless and swapping tyres on and off is a PITA with sealant etc. Didn't like how it felt AT ALL on hardpack/rocks.

I uploaded another image of the Rampage next to the Mtn King 2.4" that might help better with knob comparisson. Also upload a side by side shot of the 2.4" and 2.2" mounted on some WTB SpeedDisc wheels - had a few of them but just cleaned out the HDD week before and this one somehow gots missed, so lucky you. lines are from the 2.2" so you get an idea compared to the 2.4"

kapusta said:
Can you get a total tread width comparison between those two tires (Rampage 2.35 and MK 2.4)? The rampage I have on now is the absolute maximum width that I can use with my current setup. I'd like to even go a few mm narrower if possible.

From the picture, it looks like they have similar tread depths. How much taller are the knobs on the MK?

Also, anyone know how the knobs compare on the 2.4 vs 2.2 MK's?

Thanks.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.