Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which tire is the best for mud?

Any other suggestions? Trying to prevent mud clogging my rear triangle. Both are advertised as mud tires. UST only.

thanks

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
Haven't tried the Mosquito, but own the Scorp and I think it's next to useless in mud.

The Schwalbe Jim & Big Jim are good all-rounders that also do well in mud.

The Geax Blade is a mud-specific UST tire that does great in the mud. It has long blade-like tread blocks that pull through mud like a steamboat on a river. It's a 1.85 (but seems bigger than the average 1.85) and sheds mud like mad.

For what it's worth, I'm moving from Vermont to Colorado and will no longer need my Geax Blade. I bought it last fall and it's in like-new condition. Only used 6 times. I'd part with it for a good price if you're interested.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Haven't tried the Mosquito, but own the Scorp and I think it's next to useless in mud.

The Schwalbe Jim & Big Jim are good all-rounders that also do well in mud.

The Geax Blade is a mud-specific UST tire that does great in the mud. It has long blade-like tread blocks that pull through mud like a steamboat on a river. It's a 1.85 (but seems bigger than the average 1.85) and sheds mud like mad.

For what it's worth, I'm moving from Vermont to Colorado and will no longer need my Geax Blade. I bought it last fall and it's in like-new condition. Only used 6 times. I'd part with it for a good price if you're interested.
I would agree. Neither the Mosquito (1.85) nor the Scorpion (1.75) is a very good mud tire. They do OK if the mud is not too deep or the mud is very wet and sloppy.

The [email protected] Blade 1.85 may be the best narrow mud UST tire currently available. [email protected] also has the Barro Mud 1.7 in a UST version.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Actually, I have the Blade. The problem is running a Fuel, the bike is designed to collect mud ( it seems) and a need a thinner profile closer to a 1.7.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
vtwin996 said:
Thanks. Actually, I have the Blade. The problem is running a Fuel, the bike is designed to collect mud ( it seems) and a need a thinner profile closer to a 1.7.
Both of the Hutch nsons are going to be as big or bigger than the Blade. Look for the Barro Mud 1.7.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Are these suggestions the same for non UST tires, or are there other/better options?

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
StormShadow said:
Are these suggestions the same for non UST tires, or are there other/better options?
For standard tires I would add the Pana racer Trailraker 1.95 (may be the best of the bunch), Tioga Factory Mud 1.85, and Conti Survival Pro 2.1. For bigger mudders add the Hutch Spider 2.1/2.3, and Ken da Knarly 2.10 (great mud tire if you have the clearance).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yep, that pretty much it.

I ran that set up in the winter. I tossed them to my buddy to check out after I used them. It's like Shiggy said, when the mud gets loose so do the tires. They wander a bit after it dries out also. They work ok in the dry. But if you push them,...well the drift is nice and predictable. Perfect conditions = perfect tire, ok conditions = ok tire, bad conditions = bad tire. They sit in the corner of the shop. Probably send them to Shiggy.

You still got mud? Lucky dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts