Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
snow is gone here, but now lots of mud and water (private trails). i have put my cleats back on, but still kind of cold to get feet wet. i had some shoe covers i was using, but they don't work well and aren't that durable.

I had originally planned to use flats on this bike all year, but found out i was missing my cleats once i started using them again.

doesnt seem to be many choices for mtb boots. most are listed as winter boots. i don't really want anything warm, temps will be 30's to 50's f.

i was looking at the mw81 and mt91. mt91 i worry about water and mud splashing down through open top. any thing else i should be looking at? opinions on these two for what i want to do?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a pair of mw81's that I really like. They are just right in that temp range, especially when the going is wet. I consider them more of a shoulder season shoe than a winter shoe, but I live in a pretty cold place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another thing i thought of is i could use the shoes i have and get some seal skinz socks. Wouldn't really keep the mud and water from going down in the shoe though.
So the mw81 doesnt' get too hot?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that why you sold them?

Might be the way to go for what i'm wantying. My feet don't get that cold. I used standard shoes with the shoe covers in single digits last winter and didnt get cold. . Got a good line on where to buy?

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
A pair of gaiters will help a lot with water getting in from the top. You don't need insulated ones, just some basic REI or OR gaiters will do the trick.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A pair of gaiters will help a lot with water getting in from the top. You don't need insulated ones, just some basic REI or OR gaiters will do the trick.
Nice, but standard soes have vents in them so feet will still get wet..

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a pair of MT91s. I've only had them since Christmas so my experience is limited so far. I'd say they'd be great for early spring mud with a couple of pairs of socks and gaiters.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Louis Garneau 0 Degree LS-100 Mountain Shoe - Mountain Bike Shoes Reviews say they run small and are not that warm. But do keep feet dry. Winter shoes go on sale at your LBS about now. I wore similar Garneaus today at 40 degrees in rain and slush with thin wool socks and never had to think about my feet.
my size isn't in stock.

i do see that nashbar has the lake winter shoes on sale, plus another 15% off. this would get them down to just a little over $200. Would the lake shoes be too hot for temps up to 60's?

·
Human Test Subject
1,333 Posts
I really like my lake mx145s. There really isn't anything I'd change about them and they're a welcomed change after that fasterkatt fiasco.

·
Registered
149 Posts
A lot of my "mud season" riding takes in lots of non-traditional trails and exploring. This usually results in some hike a biking over varied terrain and the hiking boot style and rubber sole works really well. The gaiters are really light and just keep the crap and water splashes from entering in the top of the boot. They also make great footwear for ride in trail work.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The Lake winter boots would be pretty warm after mid 40's but the Lake 145 boots would not. I have a pair and they are good from 25 degrees with heavier wool socks like Defeet Wooly Boolie, and above. They are waterproof and a lot lighter than the winter boots. I have friends with the Specialized mid-season shoes and they like them also for the same conditions. The specialized just did not fit my feet at all.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I picked up Mavic Scree boots last year. Goretex lining, great shoulder season boot. I think a good wool sock inside and a gaitor over top and you're in good shape. Maybe use the old bread bags over the wool socks before putting feet in the boots if you expect lots of submersion.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A lot of my "mud season" riding takes in lots of non-traditional trails and exploring. This usually results in some hike a biking over varied terrain and the hiking boot style and rubber sole works really well. The gaiters are really light and just keep the crap and water splashes from entering in the top of the boot. They also make great footwear for ride in trail work.
hmm, sounds famaliar! if you got the knee high gaitors, you could even still wear shorts when it gets warmer and the sticker bushes come out. Guess you could still wear the gaitors with any of these options too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts