Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
16,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Better yet, get a couple pairs of each color. You won't be disappointed.

·
DAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNN
63 Posts
My rear XT 8120 doesn't like the red pads for some reason. Too much noise coming from the back. New rotor when I installed the pads and did the proper break in and was fine for the first couple of rides but after that the rears got too noisy so I am now riding Swisstop green pads in the back and the silence is awesome and feel just as good as the MTX reds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i got the m8120's (4 piston) as well, and have about 75 miles on them now.
the rears are great, the fronts have a very light hum to them from time to time, not bothersome at all, but they seem to not be as powerful as the rears, not sure why. but overall im pretty happy with them. now to see if they can survive a season or 2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I decided to go with Red Label front and rear for now.... Can always try the Gold front later on if I feel the need but sounds like the red will handle how I ride.

The longest descent I ride is a 30ish minute section with a lot of tight switchbacks, so it is constant on/off the brakes, but even the OEM Shimanos normally handle the heat buildup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I’m Kevin from MTX Braking - let me address your comments quick and I just wanted to let everyone know that I’m here to answer any questions. I was hesitant to chime in, but I want to be transparent and available.

Yep there are several options priced lower than our premium Red Label ceramic brake pads and if we wanted to sell a $10 set of brake pads (for example) we easily could (and we will indeed have at least two other compounds coming that will have a much-lower MSRP, and we may put a ceramic in this category too.).

Here is the thought behind our Red Label product - we really wanted to go after the ceramic element for mtb brake pads, and were willing to deal with a “higher” MSRP to get there. This is our train-of-thought: most of our bikes are thousands of dollars and our brakes are anywhere from $120 to $250+ per wheel. We feel like so many of us obsess over our brakes (I always use the example of a SRAM vs Shimano debate that will never end - people are wildly passionate about their favorite brakes), there has to be room for a high-end brake pad that takes your favorite brake up a notch and does it quietly.

I’m sure Trickstuff makes a good product, but we’re extremely happy with how are Red Labels perform and are excited to get these out and into your hands.

Speaking of - any of you can DM me and I’ll give you your own discount code to try a set for yourself; I already set Nat up with a code so he and a few friends can give them a shot.

Regarding the rotor - thank you for the reminder - that isn’t quite the rotor you are referring to, but we have since decided to not go with that exact one and I’ve been meaning to pull that down, which I’ll have done today. We’re not trying to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes - ‘just want to create a high-end retail-friendly line of brake pads that everyone can be stoked on - a legit brand that we want you to be part of.

Kevin / MTX

Hey, I have been searching around trying to find more information about the MTX Red Label pads. I found this and figured that maybe you would still respond even after a year from the original post. Thanks for being willing to share all of this info, I am really looking forward to getting these on my Pivot. I'd love a discount code if you are still willing. BTW, for some reason I could not message you? Maybe you can send me a message?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey, I have been searching around trying to find more information about the MTX Red Label pads. I found this and figured that maybe you would still respond even after a year from the original post. Thanks for being willing to share all of this info, I am really looking forward to getting these on my Pivot. I'd love a discount code if you are still willing. BTW, for some reason I could not message you? Maybe you can send me a message?
I love me Reds on my XC bike, great power and modulation! The Reds are my new favorites.

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,430 Posts
Hello. My inbox may have been full? I’m getting hit pretty hard with messages dally but I just cleared some out.

I’ll send you a message in a second. Appreciate the interest; you’ll dig them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
I run Formula Cura 2 piston brakes.

I tried Jagwire organics when the stock pads wore out in the rear and they were garbage.

I gave the MTX reds a try after seeing their website. I did not get any discount or know anyone who referred me to use them.

I have been on them for about a month now and they are everything they are cracked up to be.

I ordered a set for the front for full price that should be arriving today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any News on these coming to EU? been looking everywhere for the last few months trying to find some gold label ones to test em out this holiday in the alpes. always had issues with that start to glaze after time or squeel like there dying inside. Time running out :(

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just ordered Gold/Red F/R Any recommendations as far as bedding in the pads? I seem to recall reading something that they might not even need to be bedded in but...

·
Registered
360 Posts
I rode down a small hill a couple times near my house, but honestly they just bedded in over my first 10 mi trail ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. My inbox may have been full? I’m getting hit pretty hard with messages dally but I just cleared some out.

I’ll send you a message in a second. Appreciate the interest; you’ll dig them.

Couldn't send you a message

Mind sending me a message as well. Need to try this MTX brake pads ASAP

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,324 Posts
I ride desert, SS rigid, slow, 45-75 minute ride, slight elevation change, Guide brakes, 220lb, sintered pads. So the SHHHH sound from the brakes is not especially bothersome and braking is adequate. Any benefit to using MTX pads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,430 Posts
I just ordered Gold/Red F/R Any recommendations as far as bedding in the pads? I seem to recall reading something that they might not even need to be bedded in but...
We have two versions of our bedding process. One our attorney has outlined for us, and our more common-sense approach. As others have said, the ceramics take very little time to fully seat. You could find a small hill and go up and down 15-20 times just as you'd think - ride up and down, easing into the braking and not coming to a harsh stop.

What WE tell people is to ride your bike - go hit your normal trail, as long as it doesn't point straight down for a 5,000' descent, or from a heli-drop in the Andes.

Just go ride, knowing that it will take a few minutes / miles of easy braking, corner to corner, before they seat-in. You'll feel it hit quick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have two versions of our bedding process. One our attorney has outlined for us, and our more common-sense approach. As others have said, the ceramics take very little time to fully seat. You could find a small hill and go up and down 15-20 times just as you'd think - ride up and down, easing into the braking and not coming to a harsh stop.

What WE tell people is to ride your bike - go hit your normal trail, as long as it doesn't point straight down for a 5,000' descent, or from a heli-drop in the Andes.

Just go ride, knowing that it will take a few minutes / miles of easy braking, corner to corner, before they seat-in. You'll feel it hit quick.
Can't wait for my pads to arrive. Really want to try this thing out

·
Registered
254 Posts

Good stuff. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Came across MTX pads via the recent NSMB article and I am intrigued. 220 lb rider on a Canfield Balance with Zees on 203 and a Salsa Cutthroat with Force on 160. Never ventured from stock pads on either. Both are noisy with plenty of room for performance improvement. Considering Reds for both ... a discount code would definitely push me toward trying them and leaving some feedback in this thread.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I review quite a few products here in Hawaii. I'm always curious to check out something new or simply different from what many others are using. I've ordered a set of red label MTX pads (they're quite pricey) but if it's really that good, it'll be a worthwhile investment and I'll provide a review with my findings here. It will take a while since I tend to conduct testing over a few months before submitting a review.

I'm a long-time Shimano user that's been using SRAM Code RSC's for a few years and have a Dominion A4 set coming in to test. For years I've always known that you can have the state of the art braking system but when coupled with mediocre pads, you're not getting the best out of any brake system.

Here's just a few of my experiences with some a few of the pads I've tried.

SRAM Resin - These actually have a nice feel under partial braking, they perform better under the area below full and middle-zone braking power than SRAM Sintered giving you a little more power sooner. Under hard or extended DH runs, they will overheat and glaze rotors and are not particularly reliable (inconsistent) and noisy when wet.

SRAM Sintered - These are generally like Shimano Sintered pads. They're excellent at full braking power so these are the pads to get if you need peak braking power. These pads howl, they are the worst when it comes to noise when wet or contaminated. The issue with these pads are they wear out rotors faster than their organic counterparts due to the harder pad materials (metal). They don't provide much power when the brakes are cold (or cool) and requires higher temperatures to notice more power under partial or maximum braking power. I would only use these kinds of pads if I'm ever going to bomb down a tall mountain straight down where I have to be on the brakes almost full time, which is never the case. These pads are horrible when wet and the difference between dry and wet braking distance at full power is huge (bad).

Uberbike Race Matrix - These were recommended to me by UK riders and it seems to be a very popular brand. I'm not entirely sure what's in these pads but it is some sort of Kevlar blend. As with many Kevlar pads, they make a crunching, plastic-scraping sound when used. They perform very good in the dry, very consistent and strong feel, but they can make some noise when wet but not to the extent of Sintered pads. The issue I had was simply getting used to the sound. The brakes will work just fine but for some reason my ears are telling me something unusual is going on. This was the first real upgrade I would use in place of the above two.

Gorilla Ceramic Nanotech - I came across these pads when I was in search of ceramic pads. For some reason these pads took longer to bed in than I expected, even after 15 cycles of bedding runs, I didn't notice much improvement. I took these to the trails and went on a decent that spanned a few miles to bed them in. Mid-way, they finally felt a lot better and when I shuttled back up to try a real run, I noticed they were similar to the UB-RM pads above but with a different (more subtle, quiet) sound. When wet, these will make a small amount of sound but nothing major. Performance is similar to the pad above. I'm of the opinion that these are some sort of hard ceramic compound. What's nice about ceramic-based pads is they leave less black colored brake dust (because the dust is actually white).

Discobrakes Ceramic Pro - I was skeptical because these are priced really cheap. This is their softer ceramic compound. I was actually surprised at how good these pads are. This is the first pad I've used that exceled at partial, mid and full braking power and in my tests, they were better than all the pads above. Braking distance dry vs wet was around 1 feet, and they were completely silent despite drowning my calipers with water. IMHO these are the pads to beat as they cover all the areas. They're cheap, they're silent, and they perform negligibly close wet or dry. They're my current pad of choice and I haven't found anything that comes close. Like Gorilla, these pads make the appearance of having less brake dust but the dust is white and less noticeable. The only flaw is, these pads are almost always out of stock, and when they are, people buy them out in bulk. Of all the pads, these pads are the most powerful and have the shortest braking distance. Disco does state that life expectancy is shorter than their other pads but my testing shows they tend to wear no worse than any other non-organic pad material unless you have undersized rotors which will wear out pads faster than those using larger rotors.

MTX Red Label pads are something I'm looking forward to testing. Discobrakes' Ceramic Pro compound is very hard to beat, they already excel at the sound, wet/dry performance areas and the price. Even if the MTX pads perform identically the same to the Discobrakes Ceramic Pro, in the end the price will determine whether $32.99 for a set of MTX pads over $12.19 USD for Discobrakes is a reason to switch. Disco doesn't make Ceramic Pro for every brake system out there and in the end that may be the only reason to use MTX should you be in the search for ceramic-based pads.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts