Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,430 Posts
Anyone running these on Dominion A4s? I'm swapping out to 2mm rotors soon, and would be an easier time to try a different pad. It'd be interesting to see how a different compound changes stopping power and modulation on them.
I have Dominion A4s on my personal bike right now and I'll be moving them to the Blackthorn we are building currently. Such a great brake set; love the details they put into them like the dual bleed ports.

Clearly I'm biased, but I will tell you that the Red Label version gives these brakes more strength in the "midrange" of the lever pull. I have not really put a ton of time on these brakes yet as our season is just kicking off and I've been too busying working. Smoother initial transition but ... its a broken record as the brake pads enhance & boost the same aspects to a lot of the brakes out there, but smoother initial hit and a really nice progressive curve to the point of "stop right now".

And yes I did use their OE-supplied organic pads first and they felt pretty abrupt to me...on or off. The Red Labels just have such a unique and smooth feel.

We have them in stock for both Red and Gold right now. DM if if you'd like to try them.

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,430 Posts
Great tip for mixing the Red & Gold...I had installed Red F&R on my Tallboy. Noticed they were a tiny tad less grippy then stock Shimano 4 pot pads. I'm definitely in the Clyde category. Just ordered a set of Gold to try out on the front.

Any tips on getting these to not rattle? I have the XTR 9120 calipers...

Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike sorry I missed your question: these will not rattle - its the Shimano fins that make the rattling sound (if thats what you are referring to).

As far as the less-grippy-ness - yep you're probably right, but we always position that as a win; you're not losing power by any means, but gaining control coming into your corners, for example.

Kevin / MTX

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hi Mike sorry I missed your question: these will not rattle - its the Shimano fins that make the rattling sound (if thats what you are referring to).

As far as the less-grippy-ness - yep you're probably right, but we always position that as a win; you're not losing power by any means, but gaining control coming into your corners, for example.

Kevin / MTX
Hi Kevin, wondering now if someone put bb's in my handlebars? ;-)

Interesting take on your intent behind gripping power vs modulation. I guess I've been running shimano for so long, I have learned how to modulate it myself. And, I am pretty methodical with all the prep work I put in prior to hitting the trails with new pads. Always a fresh bleed when installing new pads as well. The power is still there but a bit less biting on the initial take...if that makes sense. Looking forward to getting my Gold version to try them on the front though.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,430 Posts
Hi Kevin, wondering now if someone put bb's in my handlebars? ;-)

Interesting take on your intent behind gripping power vs modulation. I guess I've been running shimano for so long, I have learned how to modulate it myself. And, I am pretty methodical with all the prep work I put in prior to hitting the trails with new pads. Always a fresh bleed when installing new pads as well. The power is still there but a bit less biting on the initial take...if that makes sense. Looking forward to getting my Gold version to try them on the front though.

Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike,

Yeah I'm certain that your rattling would have been the Shimano fins; we hear that daily and its a well-known Shimano thing.

I will say, Shimano users are harder to please in most cases; I'm not sure why that is, but as I said earlier in this post, one of the fun things about this business is that our customers OBSESS over their brakes and carry a lot of passion & enthusiasm for having the best setup. Which like anything with bikes, is subjective. And yes I try to encourage an open mind about control more-so than "more power more power more power" but, our brake pads make tons of power as well, but thats not the whole story with any brake or brake component.

Report back after you get some time on the Gold Label HDs for the front.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I’m Kevin from MTX Braking - let me address your comments quick and I just wanted to let everyone know that I’m here to answer any questions. I was hesitant to chime in, but I want to be transparent and available.

Yep there are several options priced lower than our premium Red Label ceramic brake pads and if we wanted to sell a $10 set of brake pads (for example) we easily could (and we will indeed have at least two other compounds coming that will have a much-lower MSRP, and we may put a ceramic in this category too.).

Here is the thought behind our Red Label product - we really wanted to go after the ceramic element for mtb brake pads, and were willing to deal with a “higher” MSRP to get there. This is our train-of-thought: most of our bikes are thousands of dollars and our brakes are anywhere from $120 to $250+ per wheel. We feel like so many of us obsess over our brakes (I always use the example of a SRAM vs Shimano debate that will never end - people are wildly passionate about their favorite brakes), there has to be room for a high-end brake pad that takes your favorite brake up a notch and does it quietly.

I’m sure Trickstuff makes a good product, but we’re extremely happy with how are Red Labels perform and are excited to get these out and into your hands.

Speaking of - any of you can DM me and I’ll give you your own discount code to try a set for yourself; I already set Nat up with a code so he and a few friends can give them a shot.

Regarding the rotor - thank you for the reminder - that isn’t quite the rotor you are referring to, but we have since decided to not go with that exact one and I’ve been meaning to pull that down, which I’ll have done today. We’re not trying to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes - ‘just want to create a high-end retail-friendly line of brake pads that everyone can be stoked on - a legit brand that we want you to be part of.

Kevin / MTX

Hi Kevin! Can you let me know if Gold or Red label is best for me?. Here are some details about myself:

*6' / 215 lbs
*Ride So Cal trails
*2021 Stumpjumper with SRAM G2 4 piston

Also, I would love if you can shoot me a coupon code to purchase.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just want to put a brief plug for these red label pads. I put them on my e-mtb and spent 5 months in baja this winter riding in the finest dirt and dust singletrack. What I mean is the trails are really DUSTY with the finest dirt particles. Hard on the equipment. BTW the trails are fine also.1500 miles on the rear of a 50 lb bike and no problem. Loved them over the shimano metals previously used. No squeal and excellent modulation to this day. Glad I checked on them because they are about gone. I will buy again.

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,430 Posts
Hi Kevin! Can you let me know if Gold or Red label is best for me?. Here are some details about myself:

*6' / 215 lbs
*Ride So Cal trails
*2021 Stumpjumper with SRAM G2 4 piston

Also, I would love if you can shoot me a coupon code to purchase.

Thanks!!
Hello,

Sorry I missed this - we're blowing up at the dealer level and its getting a little overwhelming and hard to keep up. I try to keep an eye on things here.

Easy suggestion for you is the Gold Label HD. These seem to really be the ticket in your drier SoCal climate too - on the dyno the Gold produce more power with a little sacrifice in modulation, but barely and they're still very, very quiet.

Thanks,

Kevin / MTX

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,430 Posts
Just want to put a brief plug for these red label pads. I put them on my e-mtb and spent 5 months in baja this winter riding in the finest dirt and dust singletrack. What I mean is the trails are really DUSTY with the finest dirt particles. Hard on the equipment. BTW the trails are fine also.1500 miles on the rear of a 50 lb bike and no problem. Loved them over the shimano metals previously used. No squeal and excellent modulation to this day. Glad I checked on them because they are about gone. I will buy again.
I have spent a ton of time in Baja, but never pedaling (always motorcycle) but I've always wondered how riding an MTB down there would be. Where exactly do you ride down there? I feel like the Tecate area would be great. Anywhere in Mexico is great though. And, thank you very much for the input here. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I put them on my e-mtb and spent 5 months in baja this winter riding in the finest dirt and dust singletrack. What I mean is the trails are really DUSTY with the finest dirt particles. Hard on the equipment. BTW the trails are fine also.
Had te chance to ride in Punta San Carlos, Baja. I was was there for two windsurfing trip (wave riding is really good in PSC) and they also had decent mtb. Really cool to ride in the desert, surrounded by small bushes and cactuses.

·
Registered
57 Posts
XC Racing Clyde here, ordered a full F&R set of the Gold Label HD, will report back after a few rides. They are going on my SS hardtail race bike with XT brakes

·
Registered
637 Posts
I will say, Shimano users are harder to please in most cases; I'm not sure why that is, but as I said earlier in this post, one of the fun things about this business is that our customers OBSESS over their brakes and carry a lot of passion & enthusiasm for having the best setup. Which like anything with bikes, is subjective. And yes I try to encourage an open mind about control more-so than "more power more power more power" but, our brake pads make tons of power as well, but thats not the whole story with any brake or brake component.

Report back after you get some time on the Gold Label HDs for the front.

Thanks.
We wouldn't want to make this easy on you now, eh? ;-)

I've had a couple good rides with them. Tokul & Tiger Mt are in my backyard so I've had some good long descents at times. Reminder...Gold up front and Red in the rear. Heat management has been good for me (clyde) and not experienced any fading. The pads are differently grippy like I mentioned before. The stopping is all there but modulation is different...not bad but just different. Seems more on/off then even Shimano pads, if that makes sense. I still like them and will probably order some more. Wanting to see how they are with my rotors.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
got a ten mile ride in on the red's today (rear only).
im pretty satisfied with them. they did take some of the ride to break in, but currently seem to have more stopping power than the shimano pads i took off (metal). as far as feel at the lever, its as the guy above said. modulation is different, i like the change but its firmer. there is no question of where in the lever travel the pad hits the rotor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Got my Gold front and rear for my Shimano XT brakes.
Shipping to east coast was super fast!! Rode a rocky and technical XC course with them today. Absolutely best pads I’ve ever run!
Modulation and stopping power are outstanding for me! Will be XC and enduro racing with them this year!
Gonna put them through the Marji Gesick course torture on my single speed in September!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm interested in the Red Label pads. I probably wont wear these out in a month, but in comparison to say, SRAM or Shimano sintered metallic pads, what's the lifespan? I have metallic pads on my bikes now that have been there for over a year(maybe even 2 on my Guide Ults) and still have a lot more life left. But I also don't drag my brakes. I brake late and hard the majority of the time, using the front for immediate slowing, and the rear being modulated for how wide or tight I want my line to be.

And how's the performance of the Red Label in wet and damp conditions? Sintered pads perform just as well in the wet as they do in the dry, though it sounds like I have an angry goose chasing me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just started researching pads for my new bike (Transition Scout with Shimano XT M8120 brakes) and discovered MTX pads. I was going to order Trucker Co OSMs, as I used them previously on another bike and was very happy with the stopping power as compared to the OEM resin pads...

Most of my riding is dry conditions, occasionally a small creek crossing but it is rare. Still reading, but thinking a Gold Label front, Red Label rear may be a good setup for the braking power / heat buildup on some of the longer runs (such as Raccoon Mountain in Chattanooga).

·
Registered
28 Posts
My new bike came with some sram G2s and about to pull the trigger on these pads to hopefully get a little more performance out of them. I think for sure going with the gold label up front from reading these post, but having a hard time deciding between the red or gold for the rear. I sit around 195-200 usually. Anyone have experience with both and which one they prefer?

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
My new bike came with some sram G2s and about to pull the trigger on these pads to hopefully get a little more performance out of them. I think for sure going with the gold label up front from reading these post, but having a hard time deciding between the red or gold for the rear. I sit around 195-200 usually. Anyone have experience with both and which one they prefer?
Do you ride a lot of extended downhill trails? If so, go gold.

You know, I always thought that I favored my front brake "like I'm supposed to" but after a few years of DH riding I've discovered that I use my rear brake a lot more than I thought. I'm not skidding out all over the place so I must be using the rear for control. I know that I avoid my front brake in tight corners for the sake of balance.

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,430 Posts
Just started researching pads for my new bike (Transition Scout with Shimano XT M8120 brakes) and discovered MTX pads. I was going to order Trucker Co OSMs, as I used them previously on another bike and was very happy with the stopping power as compared to the OEM resin pads...

Most of my riding is dry conditions, occasionally a small creek crossing but it is rare. Still reading, but thinking a Gold Label front, Red Label rear may be a good setup for the braking power / heat buildup on some of the longer runs (such as Raccoon Mountain in Chattanooga).
Morning. I do like suggesting the Gold / Red setup to a lot of new users as it does make sense for a lot of people and as Nat suggests below, not everyone is front-brake-focused and I do hear people going vice-versa as they like the smoother feel up front but they are just back-brake heavy.

We always try to keep the dividing lines simple though: Red = most trail riders who like a smooth progressive and quiet brake. Gold = defaults to eMTBs, riders over 200lbs who never feel like they get enough out of their brakes, or very aggressive top-level riders and racers who focus on descending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nat

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you ride a lot of extended downhill trails? If so, go gold.

You know, I always thought that I favored my front brake "like I'm supposed to" but after a few years of DH riding I've discovered that I use my rear brake a lot more than I thought. I'm not skidding out all over the place so I must be using the rear for control. I know that I avoid my front brake in tight corners for the sake of balance.
I wouldn't say I would do a lot of extended downhill, more just typical trail riding with up and down.

I use to really favor my rear brake, less so in recent years but know I still use it a little more than others I bet so that was has me leaning towards the gold in the rear as well.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts