Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone tried these fancy pads? What do you think about them?

https://mtxbraking.com/product/red-label-brake-pads/
20200104_165956.jpg

I have these on my new Ripley build with Shimano XTR 9020 kit. They were much quieter than stock metallic pads, and require almost no time bedding in. Initial bite is much better before warm up and similar brake fading ability. I also felt like it gives the XTR better modulation. I prefer it over both shimano resin and metallic options. Still the whisper quiet after many muddy rides.

·
Registered
16,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 1312811

I have these on my new Ripley build with Shimano XTR 9020 kit. They were much quieter than stock metallic pads, and require almost no time bedding in. Initial bite is much better before warm up and similar brake fading ability. I also felt like it gives the XTR better modulation. I prefer it over both shimano resin and metallic options. Still the whisper quiet after many muddy rides.
Thank you!

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,430 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I’m Kevin from MTX Braking - let me address your comments quick and I just wanted to let everyone know that I’m here to answer any questions. I was hesitant to chime in, but I want to be transparent and available.

Yep there are several options priced lower than our premium Red Label ceramic brake pads and if we wanted to sell a $10 set of brake pads (for example) we easily could (and we will indeed have at least two other compounds coming that will have a much-lower MSRP, and we may put a ceramic in this category too.).

Here is the thought behind our Red Label product - we really wanted to go after the ceramic element for mtb brake pads, and were willing to deal with a “higher” MSRP to get there. This is our train-of-thought: most of our bikes are thousands of dollars and our brakes are anywhere from $120 to $250+ per wheel. We feel like so many of us obsess over our brakes (I always use the example of a SRAM vs Shimano debate that will never end - people are wildly passionate about their favorite brakes), there has to be room for a high-end brake pad that takes your favorite brake up a notch and does it quietly.

I’m sure Trickstuff makes a good product, but we’re extremely happy with how are Red Labels perform and are excited to get these out and into your hands.

Speaking of - any of you can DM me and I’ll give you your own discount code to try a set for yourself; I already set Nat up with a code so he and a few friends can give them a shot.

Regarding the rotor - thank you for the reminder - that isn’t quite the rotor you are referring to, but we have since decided to not go with that exact one and I’ve been meaning to pull that down, which I’ll have done today. We’re not trying to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes - ‘just want to create a high-end retail-friendly line of brake pads that everyone can be stoked on - a legit brand that we want you to be part of.

Kevin / MTX

Is that price for one wheel? Thats twice the price of Trickstuff power pads.

I can get a 2 sets of power pads shipped for less the $40

And the picture of the rotor in development is a ashima rotor that can be had for $15.

Link https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/141688161796

Its the exact same i have them on my bike.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Cool thanks for responding. Ill definitely take you up on the discount code ill try them for sure.

I actually run Trickstuff Piccola so i obsess even more then others.
The Power pads 40 percent less then yours and have been tested and proven to add 20% more stopping power.

That being said they are not silent and dont have the best longevity.

As far as the rotor i have a pet peeve when companies take off the shelf asian products and slap their logo on it and jack the price up 100%.

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,430 Posts
Cool thanks for responding. Ill definitely take you up on the discount code ill try them for sure.

I actually run Trickstuff Piccola so i obsess even more then others.
The Power pads 40 percent less then yours and have been tested and proven to add 20% more stopping power.

That being said they are not silent and dont have the best longevity.

As far as the rotor i have a pet peeve when companies take off the shelf asian products and slap their logo on it and jack the price up 100%.
No problem and you're welcome.

If longevity is a major concern the Gold Label HD is another good ceramic option too. I had a crew up in Whistler running them all year last season - durability and heat-fade results were really outstanding.

And yes - rotors - developing a proprietary rotor is a costly, costly investment. We're working on it. I get what you are saying.

Message me and I'll set you up with your own code to get them close to your current choice.

KG / MTX

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,430 Posts
Only available in the USofA? I don't see Canada as an option at checkout.
Good question - we'll get Canada setup this week. I'll post here to let you know once that door is open.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Awesome! Incoming PM... I'm building up a new bike for the season and willing to give these a run against the DiscoBrakes Copper-Free and Ceramic Pro pads.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've been running these pads for about 100 miles thus far on my Ripmo AF and am impressed. I've run other ceramics and sintered in the past and these have great initial bite and good power for me in a single pad. It's early in the season here but i am really liking the power and modulation. Cost is relative, i dont have money to burn but i wanted to try something new and different! They do howl when they get wet but dry out and go back to nearly silent fairly quickly.

I also like supporting a US company that is local to Utah. Its pretty cool and rare to email or DM a company with a question or concern and have the owner respond in a timely manner with a helpful answer.

Nathan

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,430 Posts
KG any chance you can ship to EU?
We are working on it and would love to be able to efficiently. Either through a distribution point, freight-forward service or other avenues.

We’ve been asked this a lot, especially since the release of a vid Fanatik did on us a few days ago - stay tuned please. We will and will work on it as a priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I'm giving these a shot on my Evil Offering. Brakes are Codes and rotors are Formula. Moderation is excellent. They are noticeably more quiet than the sram organic pads that I was previously using. Not sure about stopping power just yet as they are still bedding in. I've never been one to do the 50 repeated hill stops or whatever. Plug and play.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I’m Kevin from MTX Braking - let me address your comments quick and I just wanted to let everyone know that I’m here to answer any questions. I was hesitant to chime in, but I want to be transparent and available.

Yep there are several options priced lower than our premium Red Label ceramic brake pads and if we wanted to sell a $10 set of brake pads (for example) we easily could (and we will indeed have at least two other compounds coming that will have a much-lower MSRP, and we may put a ceramic in this category too.).

Here is the thought behind our Red Label product - we really wanted to go after the ceramic element for mtb brake pads, and were willing to deal with a “higher” MSRP to get there. This is our train-of-thought: most of our bikes are thousands of dollars and our brakes are anywhere from $120 to $250+ per wheel. We feel like so many of us obsess over our brakes (I always use the example of a SRAM vs Shimano debate that will never end - people are wildly passionate about their favorite brakes), there has to be room for a high-end brake pad that takes your favorite brake up a notch and does it quietly.

I’m sure Trickstuff makes a good product, but we’re extremely happy with how are Red Labels perform and are excited to get these out and into your hands.

Speaking of - any of you can DM me and I’ll give you your own discount code to try a set for yourself; I already set Nat up with a code so he and a few friends can give them a shot.

Regarding the rotor - thank you for the reminder - that isn’t quite the rotor you are referring to, but we have since decided to not go with that exact one and I’ve been meaning to pull that down, which I’ll have done today. We’re not trying to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes - ‘just want to create a high-end retail-friendly line of brake pads that everyone can be stoked on - a legit brand that we want you to be part of.

Kevin / MTX
hey kevin,
thanks for being so transparent on the forums. it's always great to see product manufacturers responding to questions/warranty/support on the forums.

i've been on the search for better pads for my sram code rsc brakes. i've tried stock pile stock sram metallic, jagwire elite pro, trickstuff, and galfer pads. so far the galfer pads have been my favorite.

do the mtxracing pads offer better performance than the galfer pads?

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,430 Posts
hey kevin,
thanks for being so transparent on the forums. it's always great to see product manufacturers responding to questions/warranty/support on the forums.

i've been on the search for better pads for my sram code rsc brakes. i've tried stock pile stock sram metallic, jagwire elite pro, trickstuff, and galfer pads. so far the galfer pads have been my favorite.

do the mtxracing pads offer better performance than the galfer pads?
Sorry I meant to answer this yesterday:

We haven’t compared our brake pads back to back with any of their product, yet. I’m sure we will at some point so we can answer these questions for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Big M, Little organ.
278 Posts
What do you like about the Galfer pads? I run Code RSCs for the most part and have been trying some different pads lately. Galfer are a step up from SRAM resin but compared to Trickstuff they definitely don’t have the same power, especially hot. Trickstuff and MTX are easier to bed in as well.
I’ve been using MTX red pads lately and I do think they have more power than Galfer but maybe less than Trickstuff. It’s hard to say for sure as I’ve switched to cold weather fatbiking and riding in freezing temps is a different than warm weather. So far though, MTX work well cold and haven’t faded. Love trickstuff pads and waiting for spring to see how MTX compare.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts