Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at doing a trip to the western US and am wondering if anybody could recommend a tour or guide service such as Western Spirit or Rim Tours. Any info on specific routes and tours you took would be great. I've never ridden west of the Mississippi River so I'm open to anything.

·
Go make a difference
1,247 Posts
Since no one has responded, I'll just say, I typically don't run tours out west but I can. I have customers who've use Rim Tours and have told me that my services are on par with them. I'll help you out anyway I can, even if it's setting you up with someone local.

Good luck!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I did the Utah trip with Sacred Rides. Highly recommended, 10 out of 10.

Edit for route:

Gem, Bear Claw, Poppy in St George
Thunder Mountain
Hazzard in Moab
Slick Rock in Moab
Amassa Back/ Rockstacker/ Jacksons in Moab
Some other epic rides that I can't remember the name of.

Each ride was the ride of a lifetime for someone who rides in New England.

·
powered by peanut butter.
875 Posts
I had a great experience with Western Spirit. Did their North Rim of the Grand Canyon trip - awesome riding, great guides, stellar experience.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I did the Durango to Moab San Juan Hut to Hut trip with 7 others and had a blast(unguided). In Moab there are a bunch of guide and shuttle services, and we used Rim Tours as a shuttle back to Durango. Google "The Whole Enchilada" for Moab.

I'm looking at doing a trip to the western US and am wondering if anybody could recommend a tour or guide service such as Western Spirit or Rim Tours. Any info on specific routes and tours you took would be great. I've never ridden west of the Mississippi River so I'm open to anything.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I live in Utah and have ridden most of the best places in Colorado, Arizona, Idaho and Oregon, Montana, and California. You could do all these places without hiring a guide. I'd be happy to talk with you on the phone to give you suggestions and how to do it. If interested private msg me or email me with your phone number.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Perfect topic Im in the same boat looking for a Mountain Bike tour in the spring/summer somewhere in the western US. What about up in Oregon? I found a website for a tour company called cogwild tours, anyone done a tour up in the northwest? Moab/western CO is probably second on my list.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Bend is a lot of fun but you sure don't need a guide there because there's so much info available. I've heard good things and bad things about Cogwild. I wouldn't hesitate to shuttle with them, not sure about a tour. Would check recent reviews. Unpredictable snow melt can limit trails open in late Spring and early Summer. Mosquitos can be gawdawful. It's very XC in character for the most part. Used to be nothing technical there, but it's coming along.

North Umpqua is popular but I haven't ridden it. Hood River area is high on my to-do list. Black Rock is fun for a day or two if you don't mind earning your turns and like steep downhill flow and especially features.

Lots and lots of goodness out of Ketchum if you wait out the snow. Same for Crested Butte and everybody should ride there at some point.

Can't beat the SW if it's still cool. TONS to choose from. Just depends on what you like and the weather.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mountain Bike Tour Company in New York City

I am starting up a company in the New York City area and if you decide to visit come check out my new company. I will be taking people up to the Catskills for day trips in the New Paltz region. If you are a more hard core mountain biker contact me and we can make other arrangements. biketoursny.com

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had a discussion recently with a few other guide outfits and we all sort of agreed: we all do a great job! I'd recommend Rim Tours and Western Spirit highly....both great outfits.

Matt

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had a discussion recently with a few other guide outfits and we all sort of agreed: we all do a great job! I'd recommend Rim Tours and Western Spirit highly....both great outfits.

Matt
One of the best aspects of a guide is not necessarily to show you where the trails are. The guide we had for the full seven days was a pro rider and my riding improved dramatically by taking her suggestions and watching what she did and the lines she rode. I rode stuff that I would never have had the confidence to do on my own. Each day we also had a 'local' guide who was very knowledgeable on local flora, fauna, history, anecdotes, bars, restaurants etc. That's really what made the difference.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
So where did you end up selecting a your desination?

·
Go make a difference
1,247 Posts
I am starting up a company in the New York City area and if you decide to visit come check out my new company. I will be taking people up to the Catskills for day trips in the New Paltz region. If you are a more hard core mountain biker contact me and we can make other arrangements. biketoursny.com
Shoot me an email and lets partner up on some trips. Check us out at www.atlantaoutfitters.com. Charles at atlantaoutfitters dot com.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any suggestions for a tour/guides specifically in Colorado? I'll be out in Denver the second to last week in August for a conference and want to extend my stay (into the last week of August). The catch is I will most likely be solo. I can travel up to 5-6 hrs away. Any ideas anyone? Thanks! =)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
These guys were written up in Adventure Cyclist for the hut tours they offer near Fruita. It looked very appealing and not exorbitantly priced. Not sure if August is "the time" to ride there. FWIW...

Mike

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Any suggestions for a tour/guides specifically in Colorado? I'll be out in Denver the second to last week in August for a conference and want to extend my stay (into the last week of August). The catch is I will most likely be solo. I can travel up to 5-6 hrs away. Any ideas anyone? Thanks! =)
Hermosa Tours has a fantastic selection and a very good reputation. Check em out.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used Hermosa Tours out of Durango last fall, but only for a shuttle. I rode Kennebec (fantastic 25 miles and about 6,500 feet of descending) with a group of 8, 3 locals and 4 guys from Boston, so even though I was solo, I wasn't really. You can do a guided trip, but part of the fun is the adventure of it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts