Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
All fat, all the time.
9,359 Posts
People need to be aware if they are on a multi-use/shared trail system. Whether you're hiking, horse riding, or biking, everyone has just as much right to be out there than anyone else if it's public trails.
A little courtesy goes along way, no matter what group you belong to.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I added a Bear Bell to my bike. Someone on this forum suggested it. I felt a little dumb at first but I 'd prefer you think I'm dumb and hear me coming rather than sneak up on you and possibly one or both of us get hurt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is a multi-use trail withing riding distance from me. Its pretty huge, so as long as its not a huge group, hikers and bikers never have issues. The issues arise with the horses.

I've only run into horse groups on a few occasions. They always seem to think that they ****ing own the trail. like not the fact that i should be yeilding to them (which i do) but i should be thanking them while i bend over for them and their horse.

One time we were coming in opposite direction from these two horses. they could see us for a while, we could see them. There was a guy on a bike come from behind them. The two fat ladys on the horses however are busy talking to each other. The biker lets them know hes coming to pass on their left side. They are too busy talking to hear however. He comes buy at a decent speed, not flying, not going slow, the rode is big enough that he had enough space to give em a healthy birth. When he goes by however the fat ladys start to ***** at him for not letting them know hes coming/hes going to fast/hes an ass.

it drives me crazy. it takes BOTH parties to make multiuse trails. Everyone needs to accept this. its the people who think other people will worry about it who ****ing it up. MTB's that haul ass are just as much of a problem as fatties on horses.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Shuttleworth, the former BLM official, says trails groomed for mountain bikes impede "the natural feel of the landscape."

"Historically, there have not been 6- to 8-foot-wide hiking paths through the North Fork wild and scenic corridor," he adds. "Mountain bikers would like that. The nature of mountain biking requires broadly graded routes, and some sensitive areas in the Sierra don't need that."

Man, I really wish someone from IMBA would have been quoted addressing that ridiculous strawman. I don't know a single mountain biker who wants to see 6-8 foot wide trails! We like singletrack too.

David B.

·
Registered
177 Posts
"It was the greatest potential harm I've ever experienced,"
What a load of BS, you where in way more danger than just driving to the trail.

The nastier the single track the better.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I wonder how sensational the life-threatening "trouble on the trail" actually was, compared to how sensational it ended up being, after the article was written? ... "It was the greatest potential harm I've ever experienced."

I doubt anyone who has experienced time in the natural environment, would even say that. That comment is beyond being ridiculous. I live close to the Bicentennial National Trail in the Australian Capital Territory (less than 100m away). Not once in 18 years have I seen the slightest issue with any of the user groups. I'm on the BNT often.

After reading that divisive article, anyone who hadn't experienced mountain biking would think that MTBs are sending multi-use trails "to hell a handbasket." .. perhaps we should. Since we are guilty by association.

Now, I dream of seeing someone on a trail (hopefully a journalist), just so that I can say, "ding, ding, ding, ding". then go WACK!!! and end up being a notorious mountain biker and really give them something to write about.

I requested from NSW National Parks, only last week, reports of any instances of bikers hitting walkers. NSW National Parks and Wildlife here are claiming that MTB are dangerous to other Park users. I doubt that I will be replied to because here it is all about the presumption of danger.

Warren.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Shark: People need to be aware if they are on a multi-use/shared trail system. Whether you're hiking, horse riding, or biking, everyone has just as much right to be out there than anyone else if it's public trails.
A little courtesy goes along way, no matter what group you belong to.
+1 that.

Judging from a few of the responses, this may not received well by some, but here's my rant anyway.

Perhaps the hiker overstated the danger, perhaps not, I wasn't there to see. However, he has every right to pissed about having to dive out of the way of a biker whipping around a blind curve on a multi-use trail. I'd sure as hell be. :madmax: Imagine this scenario - you're riding to the trailhead and some schmuck in a car whips around a blind curve at speed and you barely escape by diving off the shoulder. Any difference between that and what happened to this guy? Same situation, as I see it. I've dealt with this both as a biker and as a hiker. As a hiker, I get pissed at bikers who value their speed over the safety of others. Or expect hikers to jump out of their way. Or can't manage a "Thanks" if you step aside for them. Fortunately, in my area, most bikers are pretty cool about sharing the trails safely. :thumbsup:

As a biker, I always
- slow to a walking pace when approaching hikers, announce myself, ask to pass
- say thanks if they step aside, which they almost always do.
- get off the bike for horses because a spooked horse can be a very dangerous 1500 pounds of animal.
- slow down for blind curves or hills - maybe there's a little kid just ahead

It's simple. We absolutely don't have a right to endanger others. Nor expect special rights to multi-use trails. I've gotten pretty militant about this, and it's only taken a few a$$hole bikers to get me this way.

We are obligated to share safely, and have a right to expect the same from others. If even just a minority of us act like a$$holes on the trails then we're all at risk of losing access to those trails. In our own best interests, as well as for the sake of doing the right thing, we should expect considerate and safe behavior from the entire biking community

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
davidbeinct said:
Shuttleworth, the former BLM official, says trails groomed for mountain bikes impede "the natural feel of the landscape."

"Historically, there have not been 6- to 8-foot-wide hiking paths through the North Fork wild and scenic corridor," he adds. "Mountain bikers would like that. The nature of mountain biking requires broadly graded routes, and some sensitive areas in the Sierra don't need that."

Man, I really wish someone from IMBA would have been quoted addressing that ridiculous strawman. I don't know a single mountain biker who wants to see 6-8 foot wide trails! We like singletrack too.

David B.
+1000

If you need a 6 to 8 foot lane to ride a mountain bike you are in the wrong sport. It is called road biking. Why was this not addressed?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
There must be some "greener" site pushing the 6 to 8 foot bike path requirement as a means of getting them limited, Carlsbad was attempting to use the same definition even though bikers were telling them they only wanted single-track sized paths.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The whole story had a BS vibe to it

douche in article said:
An experienced hiker, Garabedian picked himself up and tried to quell any angry impulses. It wasn't the first time he'd had a dangerous encounter with a mountain biker on that trail, which ironically was built by volunteers from a mountain bike group, the Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Action Coalition. "Used to be, you hardly ever ran into a mountain biker," Garabedian says. "Now I keep getting the wits scared out of me."
So on a trail built by mountain bikers, he hardly used to see any mountain bikers. Sounds like he's looking/making for trouble

·
Registered
812 Posts
About the IMBA in the article,
"The organization's Web site carries information about a 1995 study by the New Zealand Department of Transportation, which found: "It has not been established in the research done to date that mountain bikes have greater overall impact on tracks than do walkers."
The New Zealand Department of Conservation's paper 'Off-road Impacts of Mountain Biking', has a section covering the false perceptions of mountain biking being inappropriate, a safety hazard and a trigger for conflict with other trail users ...http://www.mountainbike.co.nz/politics/doc/impacts/social.htm

The Sacbee's article flies in the face of the research, which flagged me that the Sacbee's article ... is crap, irresponsible and divisive journalism.

A full review and discussion, SCIENCE & RESEARCH SERIES 92, 'Off-road Impacts of Mountain Biking' can be found here ... http://www.mountainbike.co.nz/politics/doc/impacts/index.htm

If you have ever questioned, whether we riders are the anti-christs of the trails? ... read the body and the findings of the research and see which user group actually causes and what causes the most damage ... and who is dangerous out on the trails.

Just as Gasp4air wrote that he is also a walker, many mountain bike riders are also walkers, and can see the trails from both sides of the coin.

Warren.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
the hiker in the article is a bit :eek:ut: and one of those that believes the trail is his to his liking. I mean really, if almost getting hit by someone on a bicycle is the most dangerous thing encountered in your life, you obviously have not gotten out much.

I have enjoyed the outdoors in just about every avenue, Mostly on horseback or hiking, some dirtbiking, some cycling, snowshoeing, 4x4, fourwheelers, quads, and snowmobiles. When on snowmobiles we would pull off the trail or go slowly around cross country skiiers, they always complained and chewed us out, so it went from showing manners, to just being Jerks and dusting them on our way back out. Same has went for nearly everything I have done, one group of people (usually the one with the least mechanized devise) believes the trail is for them, and them only, thus creating a problem right off. They are also from the same crowd who likes nature, but wants it in "their perspective" and not yours.
The absolute best thing is simply to ignore them and their complaints, not everyone can be pleased, you do your best to be polite, there will be problems, but cowering and giving way only creates the situation that we are in now, where things have become borderline asinine in many area's and any excuse thought of to keep you out is covered to the point where some believe people in general are truly a scurge, how depressed they must be.
Enjoy yourself on your trail, and maybe introduce yourself at a parking area, or on a break, talk a bit, share a story or two, and people are often surprised that you are not evil, really its true. Hell if you see em later on, dont be afraid to say "ya know I was going a bit fast on the corner, Im sure glad I didnt hit you, hope you have a great day and enjoyed your hike" if they still are belligerent, remind them it is for everyone's enjoyment and like it or not, the old adage of he with the least, must give :nono:

·
Registered
401 Posts
1. I don't get the argument that I see often about endangered plants on the trail. A horse will trample it just the same as a hiker or biker (probably worse when you take into account the pounds per square inch in each step with the rider weight on the horse), so why not just not have a trail there period if you're that concerned about the plant life.

2. A mountain bike didn't kill Superman.

3. I loved the "featured comment" that popped up to the right of the article, something about how the paper should run an article about cars that are faster/nicer/better/slower than mine on my freeway. Right on. At least someone out there sees these arguments as what they are.

4. According to Andrew Zimmern (sp?) we are one of the few countries that doesn't eat horse.

5. Maybe we should just admit defeat as a country and vote California off the island. I could live with 49 states.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
im all for non multiuse trails. we should be given our own, hiker and horse poop free trails. we can stuff them on "safe" fire roads ;)

·
The White Jeff W
5,701 Posts
redmr2_man said:
x2!

just backspin or freewheel your hopepro2 and ppl run! like a bee hive that you pissed off!

Works every time!
I used to sneak up on hikers all the time before I got my Hope hub. Now they hear me coming long before I can be any 'danger' to them. :lol:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts