Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mt. Biker Rescue on Lower Eldridge (Mt. Tam) Wed, Jan 6, 2010

At about 11am today (Wednesday), I was with friends, climbing up lower Eldridge Grade, when a cyclists coming down, at medium speed, crashed a very short distance uphill from us. Based on his bike and clothing, he looked like beginner or intermediate rider.

We didn't see the crash, but heard it, as he slammed into the ground.

The guy had hit his head, and body, hard on the ground, and was knocked unconscious. He wasn't moving or talking, but he was making a loud "snoring" like sound, as he struggled to breath.

Anyway, Rob Nowlain (who is an RN) administered First Aid (basically keeping him from moving, and monitoring his breathing and bleeding).

My part in the rescue was to call for help, and this is the point of this email.

I have programmed on speed dial on my cell phone, the phone number for the Marin Sheriff. (That is the BEST NUMBER to call for an emergency on dirt roads, or trails, in Marin!). If you call "911" you get the CHP in Vallejo, which delays any sort of rescue.

The Marin Sheriff's answer the phone promptly, and based on my description of the location, started the rescue.

The first Water District ranger, in a truck, arrived in about 5 minutes, and the fire department shortly thereafter. Great, fast response, in an emergency situation.

Anyway, if you ride off-off road in Marin, and you carry a cell phone on rides, (you should for emergencies), please program this important number in you cell phone:

MARIN SHERIFF
415 499-7233

Danny Forer
Tamarancho Bike Coordinator
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
And to add to this excellent post, when riding in Sonoma County the Sheriff dispatch number:

SONOMA COUNTY SHERIFF DISPATCH
(707) 565-2121
 

·
(slight return)
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
Great tip. Just entered the # on my phone, hope I never need it. Hope the rider's ok, sounds like he was lucky to crash near some peole who knew what to do.

-slide
 

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
Joined
·
4,164 Posts
Good job helping and good points. In addition to local sheriff #s, local Fire Dept, Ranger and Police. And, if going on a long ride in a new area, plug in the local #.
 

·
Birthday Collector
Joined
·
2,610 Posts
How is the rider? Anyone following up? Contacts with family, etc... made or was it just a "let the pros do their thing?" sort of situation? My friend Adriana, who is doing better (but still in 5-day-a-week rehab therapy with a long way to go...) had similar symptoms when she fell. Her tongue was lax, making the snoring sound. Did anyone see the riders' eyes - were they focused/unfocused - aiming in the same direction or not, etc...?

EAST BAY REGIONAL PARK PD Phone: 510-881-1833 - hope you never need it!!!
 

·
XC = fewer broken bones
Joined
·
46 Posts
Thanks for sharing the above story and info; I hope the rider injuries are minimal and wish him a speedy recovery

All this time on the trails I've never thought about carrying local emergency personnel phone number(s) other than a readily available personal (friend/family) numbers in my pack or wallet in case I am found unconscious or unable to communicate. Like the small medical kit, and a tick kit I put together and carry after an incident last year, I will add these numbers to take with me on my rides hoping they won't be needed.

For those of you who are just going to program the numbers into your phone you may also want to write and carry the numbers with you in case:

1) your phone battery dies
2) your phone is damaged and rendered unusable on the trail
3) your phone provider doesn't get coverage in that area, you can hand off the number to another trail user (assuming they don't a working phone or paper to write the number down
4) somehow your phone gets lost on the trail (like the gps devices i read about once awhile here)
5) a great way to meet and make an impression to an attractive rider. "Hey, in case nobody including myself is not around to rescue you if your injured, do you have a phone and the emergency number(s) for this area? You know what I better ride with you just in case"
 

·
Uncle
Joined
·
4,361 Posts
ATBScott said:
How is the rider? Anyone following up? Contacts with family, etc... made or was it just a "let the pros do their thing?" sort of situation? My friend Adriana, who is doing better (but still in 5-day-a-week rehab therapy with a long way to go...) had similar symptoms when she fell. Her tongue was lax, making the snoring sound. Did anyone see the riders' eyes - were they focused/unfocused - aiming in the same direction or not, etc...?

EAST BAY REGIONAL PARK PD Phone: 510-881-1833 - hope you never need it!!!
This sounds all too familiar -- especially the part about the snoring sound. Programming numbers now. Thanks Danny and everyone else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Stripes said:
Fast responses for MidPen (Saratoga Gap/Long Ridge/Canyon Trail/Monte Bello/Skeggs/Russian Ridge):

650 968 4411. These guys are good too, very helpful when I had to call for a cyclist who had a seizure on trail.
who are "these guys"?? police, sheriff, SAR, ambulance?? What district? etc.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Some of the guys out there with the best stuff are not the better riders IMO. They are also the ones most often riding above their ability, getting hurt, and then relying on others to bail them out...Just my 2 cents so don't get your panties ruffled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
"he was making a snoring sound"


sounds like he just wanted to take a nap in the middle of his boring, marin fire road descent. Ha Ha...

if he was on a legal trail in marin, then i'm serious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,005 Posts
PTownDiddy said:
"he was making a snoring sound"

sounds like he just wanted to take a nap in the middle of his boring, marin fire road descent. Ha Ha...

if he was on a legal trail in marin, then i'm serious.
Eldridge is boring?

One of my friends pedaled his Yeti DH-9 to the top. I bet you wouldn't be bored following him down Eldridge...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
sanjuro said:
Eldridge is boring?

One of my friends pedaled his Yeti DH-9 to the top. I bet you wouldn't be bored following him down Eldridge...
don't want to start a rant or rage here, but if you can pedal a DH bike up it, the ride down can't be all that tough (read: technically challenging).

and to clarify, if it's a legal trail in marin (read: fire road mostly besides Tamarancho and China Camp), then it's prolly beginner/intermediate stuff. Of course, if you're ripping down on a 9 inch travel bike full bore, it could get interesting (read: dangerous), but ....

my point is that most of the great, trails in Marin that are technically challenging (read: GNAR) are illegal and can't be pedalled up...

hope I didn't pi$$ too many people off here. if eldridge is a good trail, i'll be sure to check it out. but i've never heard of it before, but judging from this, I may be in the ballpark with my assumption.
http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/eldridge-grade-to-east-peak-loop.html

peace out.
tc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,005 Posts
PTownDiddy said:
don't want to start a rant or rage here, but if you can pedal a DH bike up it, the ride down can't be all that tough (read: technically challenging).

and to clarify, if it's a legal trail in marin (read: fire road mostly besides Tamarancho and China Camp), then it's prolly beginner/intermediate stuff. Of course, if you're ripping down on a 9 inch travel bike full bore, it could get interesting (read: dangerous), but ....

my point is that most of the great, trails in Marin that are technically challenging (read: GNAR) are illegal and can't be pedalled up...

hope I didn't pi$$ too many people off here. if eldridge is a good trail, i'll be sure to check it out. but i've never heard of it before, but judging from this, I may be in the ballpark with my assumption.
http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/eldridge-grade-to-east-peak-loop.html

peace out.
tc
Eldridge is a special challenge because I am not as much of masochist as my friend, so my hands are aching descending on my hardtail.

I don't think it is that hard when you brake, but if you let it go, the difficult does increase dramatically.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top