Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, but I did not search this topic. Took the easy way out here:

I'm looking for shorts that have ample pockets, not overly baggy cause those hang up on the seat, with or without integrated padding, that can replace the comfort of road bike shorts.

I'm just back into MTB after many years away on a road bike.

Also, I see guys wearing longer socks. This makes sense in the southeast to avoid the dreaded poison ivy syndrome.

You guys know more that me, so please share thoughts regarding brands, sources prices, etc etc

·
Magically Delicious
9,887 Posts
I have several pairs of Zoic Antidotes and have been very pleased with their durability, pockets, and overall performance. Zippered vent panels, waist adjustment, etc. The liners haven't held up quite as well, but I'm still pleased and they're cheaper to replace. They have many miles on them. I will replace these with more Zoics.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I like my bibs with Club Ride Days short on top. The Days short is thin and light and doesn't get in the way at all. I forget I'm wearing them. The only negative is price at $90.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Also in the market for shorts... not sure if these Royal Racing Matrix Shorts would meet your criteria but they are at the top of my list:

Matrix Short | Royal 2014

Look well designed, durable and they don't have any lightning bolts or flashy looks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have Canari in foam and gel. The gel is awesome. I wear them under various shorts including workout and cargo shorts. $20-40 each. I also have padded underwear from Amazon that works well and they were $8-10.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mtb shorts are ridiculously priced. Go to TJ Max or Ross and shop for shorts. I found a nice pair of lightweight polyester/cotton blend shorts for $20.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dickies, cutoffs, check out goodwill as well. Function over form. My favorite shorts I ride in are a pair of jorts I found at goodwill for $3.50.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the looks of these:
Endura - Products

I have no MTB specific shorts yet $$ is tuff to spend on shorts so I just were what I have...
I see no purpose in MTB specific shorts. I think its pretty silly. Shorts are shorts. If your ass hurts, keep riding till it toughens up.
I started throwing some road in the mix,they are the worst. I love being the only non spandex guy blowing past everyone.
If you are putting down alot of miles then maybe a cheap pair of compression shorts for underwear.(as in $10 at walmart)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Some shorts have a baggie crotch. Most mountain bike specific shorts do not.
My only MTB-specific shorts, Endura Humvee, are simply too baggy. Waist size is fine, so WTF.

I'll take some board shorts or other generic baggies with a liner or bike shorts underneath. My venerable Quiksilver board shorts fit better than anything I've tried and are indestructible. Turned off big time on MTB specific shorts. Agree that they are overpriced.

·
EMBA Member
536 Posts
I have Canari in foam and gel. The gel is awesome. I wear them under various shorts including workout and cargo shorts.
And me I can't stand my Canari gel shorts. Just goes to show that everything is so subjective.

Personally I like the REI house brand Novura, I think it is, for the combination liner and shorts. Other then that I like the Pearl Isumi chamois and plain old Wrangler Cargo shorts during the summer. Lots of pockets. You can shop through REI outlet cheap and try the ones that they carry. They carry a bunch of different brands then their own.

I do like to wear mine loose so I have some undershirt suspenders to keep them in place. Nice and soft. Amazon carries them.

Have fun and find what you like. Slim

·
EDR
10,103 Posts
My only MTB-specific shorts, Endura Humvee, are simply too baggy. Waist size is fine, so WTF.

I'll take some board shorts or other generic baggies with a liner or bike shorts underneath. My venerable Quiksilver board shorts fit better than anything I've tried and are indestructible. Turned off big time on MTB specific shorts. Agree that they are overpriced.
In addition to my zoic shorts I also wear several pairs of $20 Quiksilver or O'Neill boardshorts I got from Costco. I like them just fine but they are not nearly as durable. I have ripped the crotch out of one pair just sitting on some granite rocks. But still I like them. They are lightweight and cheap.

·
Two Tired
396 Posts
I suppose I am even cheaper than some of the other replies. You already have "road bike shorts" so you should just wear them. They'll be just as comfortable as they are on your road bike and won't get hung up on the seat. I think you will find them to be cooler too.

I find the best solution for poison oak (out west but the same problem) is to stay out of it. This can make for some fun acrobatics on tight trails in the spring. Long socks may help, but you'll still get the oil on them and then onto everything else.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts