Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best bike magazines? I want to get a subscription (I hate paying news stand prices) but I don't want to waste my money. In my opinion, Dirt Rag is the best I've come across. Any other ideas?

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Lenny said:
Dirt Rag.
MBA is just an advertising forum.
Notice that they never give a bad review to anything!
Lenny
I like dirt rag, but you are dead wrong
the latest dirt rag has 7 or 8 reviews and liked everything
the latest Mt. bike action has 15 - 25 reviews (if you count the pros) and give you the pro & con for each bike and the thumbnail reviews use a star rating, 6 items , 2 three star, 1 five star and 3 four star.

more reviews
pros & cons
better mag
Mountain Bike action

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
mountain flyer is the best--nothing even comes close--and I'm extremely pleased Barnes and Noble here in Texascarries it.

dirt rag is next.

after those I'd say singletrack--but is Great Britain based.
I've never seen Mtn Flyer mag, but seeing it listed here made me curious
not much on the web site. Am I reading the subscription right? $16 for 2 years
but only 4 issues? why is it the best ? the reviews are basicly manufacturers promos, looks like there is not much in the articles unless you want to go to wineries, pretty pics of the rocky mtn states

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Capt Tripps said:
I really enjoy Mountain Flyer ( it is based out of colorado and mainly covers the Rockies) but a fantastic quality bike mag. You may find a copy at Barnes and Nobel, it is quarterly only.
according to their web site they are bi anual, 2 issues a year

·
Registered
4 Posts
I get both Mountain Bike Action and Dirt Rag. They're both good. Mountain Bike Action has a lot of ads, but they have good articles and good reviews too. It's a tough choice if you're only going to get one, but I would go with Dirt Rag by a nose.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I get MBA - not a bad overall but definitely has some crap in it. For example this months issue is the "buyers guide". A lot of space wasted on product info you can find on a manufacturers web site. Some of their reviews are good but they definitely show some bias--lately you'd think Jesus Christ himself designed the Nomad.

Bike--very good magazine. Intersting articles, great pictures, good product reviews.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Probably best to just send them an email about that. Or, you could subscribe. It's $20US for 7 issues. The next issue is Feb. 15. Mountain Bike Action does 12 issues for about the same price. That might be a reason to lean that direction instead.

·
Registered
779 Posts
i say it all the time, but MBA is a crapper only magazine; great pictures and plenty of ads to keep you busy, but the writing is awful and im pretty sure we're all sick of hearing that so and so bike is "the BEST trailbike we've ever tested!!!!!"

if you want to actually sit down and read a good article id highly recommend DIRT RAG and Singletrack magazine. their writers are fantastic and when they dont like a product they say so!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
If you liked Dirt Rag then definitely look into BIKE. Like Rag, they do a good job brining a gritty look at the lifestyle (with beautiful photographs to boot) to the table.

Never heard of Mountain Flyer but I'll have to look into it. Its not on newstands up here but I imagine a subscription could be sent anywhere.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
N0..

It is definately not grim; it keeps it fresh something that the other mags--to include Dirt Rag--is not.

To the other poster inquiring about content--my two issues are downstairs and I forgot twice now to bring it up to jog my memory of all the good content. But as an example the last issue had a multiple page article on cycling New Mexico's forgotten, desolate roads. You will find the gamut from road to mountain riding, to adventure racing and yes some ads for all the tourist hot spots in their corner of the world.

I look forward to it. I will admit I read ALL the other major mtb magazines except decline, bmx and anything focusing on that and related sects of biking and also the other British mags I skip.

So we have: MBF, Dirt Rag, Single Track, MBA, Mountain Biking, Bike, Bicycling, Road, Velo News and likely I'm forgetting a few. Next month we can look forward to the rebirth of Road Bike Action.

SlimTwisted said:
From Mountain Flyer's site:
Subscriptions - 2 Years - 4 Issues - $16

2 issues per year? That's pretty grim.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.