Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*Let me preface this thread by stating that I have read at least 30 threads over the last 2 days in an attempt to discern which light would be best for me.*

I am looking at running 2-3 lights on my bike. 1 or 2 on the handlebars or inside my upper stanchions (my forks are dual crown-I'm hoping this would help protect the lights), and a 3rd on my head.

I have been looking at 900 lumen flashlights but have only managed to confuse myself even further. I do alot of buying on ebay and they have quite a few options between MTE/Trustfire/Ultrafire lights. I believe a 3 mode light would be sufficient, but I'm not against a 5 mode if it is better. I noticed there are different types of "900" lumen lights, but I'm not 100% sure on which is best as I have read conflicting information. I really just want maximum usable lumens. I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks if I'll get a noticeable return on my investment.

Lights will be used for singletrack, some fire road, and occasional road riding.

MTE Lights:
900 Lumen ($56 shipped-no batt/charger)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200289696630&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

900 Lumen ($87 shipped w/ batteries and charger)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380091227395&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=025

Trustfire Light:
900 Lumen ($90 shipped-light only)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380085492242&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=025

Ultrafire Lights:
1000 Lumen ($147 shipped w/ batt & charger)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=330273517113&_fvi=1

900 Lumen ($90 shipped w/ batteries and charger)
http://cgi.ebay.com/P7-900-Lumen-Ul...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Any and all comments/suggestions would be appreciated!

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
Too me it looks like all those lights are too expensive when compared to dealextreme prices (and free shipping).
Since you read many threads already, you know that none of these lights are going to give you the advertised lumen (expect approx. 30% less). It now comes down to personal preference. I have a couple of the SSC P7 5 modes and like them. A lot of spill, I like them on my bars (I mount two, using one at a time rather than stopping to change a battery).
Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks IMHO!

I have noticed that actual lumens will be much lower than rated. Even so, I think they still seem to be a good option. Thank you for pointing that out though just in case I wasn't aware.

I have come across Dealextreme very often in my readings, unfortunately it seems as if it is for all the wrong reasons. Many members seem to be having issues with delivered lights not being up to spec, and severe Customer Service issues when dealing with DX. I'm hesitant to spend that much money with DX for those reasons.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
205 Posts
but you'd risk your luck with an ebay seller?

I've had two torch shipped (seperate times) to the UK without issue from DX and would recommend them to everyone,
You only tend to hear the complaints about ppl, but if there so bad, why do all the thread have DX links - obviously the poster must have used them.... otherwise they'd have post an alternative supplier.

Anyhow to throw my recommendation into this mix, I'm loving this... http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16500
Seemingly better output than the P7.

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight, it's nice to hear something positive about DX.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
My take on all of this....Just remember that all torch buys are a crap shoot. You never really know how good your light will be till it is in your hands. Like IMHO wrote, don't expect the advertised Lumen output. If you get 500 to 600lm out of a P-7 or MC-E you are doing well.
The e-bay seller you linked to looks to be the same people who operate the "China Goods" web site > http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/. I've bought from "China Goods "before without any problems although they do tend to be a little more expensive than D/X. Some of those e-bay offers looked pretty good to me as some were including batteries and charger. I own two of the same DSD chargers and they work great. ( edit: sorry, only some of the links were to China Goods ) I thought this link was a pretty good deal > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330290400786

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Cat-man-do.

Inconsistent build quality definitely worries me. It seems as if I'll be rolling the dice with a torch purchase.

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
For the record I should mention that though I have purchased five flashlights at DX over the last couple months. I did have to return one (Ultrafire C1 Q5-WC 230-Lumen LED Flashlight) as it did not work. I did realize after I started the return process that it started to flicker as I was tightening or loosening the end and/or the head of the torch, but would not work with everything tightened. I probably could have fixed it at that point by messing with the clicky or improving the connection (tricks I learned from another thread), but I was not in quick need of the light (as I already had a high quality EagleTac that I use on my helmet...it is great!) and I had already begun the return process. I returned the torch on 12/12 (the return center is in Miami, I am in NC). I just received an email today saying that in my return is being processed and in a few days my replacement will be sent. I am assuming that due to the holiday they are dealing with a lot of shipping and returns,hence the delay. With all that said, I will still buy from them again.
Just thought it fair that even though I recommend them, it should be known that it has not been all wine and roses.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Like IMHO, I have two SSC P7s on my bars. Also like IMHO, I use them one at a time to conveniently maximize runtime. In terms of bang for the buck, this system blows away most commercially available dedicated bike lights.

I also run two TR 801s (www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13095) on my helmet. With a claimed 220 lumens, these sub-$18 flashlights have a runtime of over two hours. Although, as I stated earlier, I'm pleased with the P7s, In my opinion, two TR 801s on the handlebars is a better choice (more than enough light, longer burn time without having to switch between torches and less weight).

I use these very inexpensive mounts: (www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8274). For added security, drill a small hole through the base and thread a zip tie through.

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate everyone's help.

z1ppy had mentioned a MC-E light. I noticed in this post the MC-E is given a better review (by z1ppy) than the P7. The 8 mode is definitely overkill, I feel a 3 mode would be right up my alley.

As far as runtime is concerned, I've recently began looking for torch's that allow 2*18650 batteries. My primary reason for this is I don't want to be fumbling with batteries when the temperatures are in the teens and I'm wearing gloves. Is this a logical decision, or would I be fine with 2 of these lights both on medium, or running 1 on high, then switching to the other as others have mentioned?

jmk999- Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Looks like they're just reselling the www.dealextreme.com lights on ebay "direct from factory". There are a lot of people reselling DX stock on ebay. There's an option to remove the DX logo during shipping for only a penny. Check under "Top Sellers" on the site for the $0.01 sale on the DX site.

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks norcom!

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
648 Posts
I can recommend the MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 5-Mode Super LED Flashlight. I have it and it rocks. It's not that big compared to the other two. I have the Aurora one as well and it's HUGE. The output is a little better on the Aurora but the size is a major drawback. It's not just the length, the reflector on that thing is LARGE.

One thing I can also say is don't cheap out on the charger, don't get the $7 18650 charger, get the $12.xx gray one or the $10/11 white one. The $7 one doesn't work worth a crap. The other two work great.

·
aka RossC
936 Posts
I haven't used torches for bike lights so can only post some basic observations here...

1. I have found DX slow but reliable. I have ordered literally dozens of things from them and it has all turned up and worked (including a p7 torch i gave my old man for xmas)

2. Have a read of this thread. As a quick run down... Turboferret is constructing an external battery pack for 18650 batteries and a new tailcap to fit a DX torch that will shorten the body and allow the battery pack to plug in.

It might be worth considering buying the compatible torch and using it in standard form and if the project never gets off the ground all is good. But it allows an upgrade path down the line aswell.

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
norcom said:
I can recommend the MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 5-Mode Super LED Flashlight. I have it and it rocks. It's not that big compared to the other two. I have the Aurora one as well and it's HUGE. The output is a little better on the Aurora but the size is a major drawback. It's not just the length, the reflector on that thing is LARGE.

One thing I can also say is don't cheap out on the charger, don't get the $7 18650 charger, get the $12.xx gray one or the $10/11 white one. The $7 one doesn't work worth a crap. The other two work great.
Head size doesn't concern me really (I may hang them under the bar if need be). If the Aurora is the better light then maybe that will be the route I go.

I have heard many others reccomend the grey charger also as the cheap one seems to be just that-cheap.

Thank you for the input!

ocean breathes salty said:
I haven't used torches for bike lights so can only post some basic observations here...

1. I have found DX slow but reliable. I have ordered literally dozens of things from them and it has all turned up and worked (including a p7 torch i gave my old man for xmas)

2. Have a read of this thread. As a quick run down... Turboferret is constructing an external battery pack for 18650 batteries and a new tailcap to fit a DX torch that will shorten the body and allow the battery pack to plug in.

It might be worth considering buying the compatible torch and using it in standard form and if the project never gets off the ground all is good. But it allows an upgrade path down the line aswell.
Thanks for the link, I subscribed to that thread so I'll be able to keep up to date on progress. Will his battery packs work for any 18650 powered Torch whether it is TrustFire/Aurora/MTE?

·
aka RossC
936 Posts
Datalogger said:
Thanks for the link, I subscribed to that thread so I'll be able to keep up to date on progress. Will his battery packs work for any 18650 powered Torch whether it is TrustFire/Aurora/MTE?
It is the endcap with the new switch and connection socket for the pack that is going to be the key component to adding the external pack. As far as I know, he has only designed it to fit with the one torch and I can't seem to find the link to the DX torch right now.

The key component

and the finished concept

I have nothing to do with this project. I just thought it looked cool!

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info, that is definitely wild looking!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.