Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this flashlight mounted to my bars and when it is on any other mode then medium it will cycle through all modes then stop on medium. It only does this when I am riding on a rough road, has anyone had a similar experience? I will file a claim with DX to have this light sent back but you can only file one claim at a time and I have one open for a faulty battery
-m

·
Registered
590 Posts
Guess you are not having much luck with DX stuff. I have 3 of these lights and they work fine. But I would guess the jarring around presses the switch internally somehow. It is a light touch switch, so it is possible. Not sure how technically challenged you are, but you could remove the rubber end cap on the switch and take a look. Might be faster repairing it yourself than dealing with DX and having to wait.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
opusair said:
mbaha, I had something similar happening to me tonight with an MTE MC-E flashlight. When I got home, I unscrewed the tail-cap about 1/16 - 1/8 of a turn and it seems to have resolved the issue.
Let me know how it works after another ride, I can't replicate the issue at home but it always happens on the road

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Like the MTE P-7 torch I own, more than likely it is a problem with the switch. When going over rough terrain it is probably shorting which would cause the switch circuit to cycle through the modes. If not the switch, there is a intermittent disconnect on the torch somewhere which is pulsing the driver/switch to cycle through the modes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had this problem with a torch (a cheap MDXL 3W). It had a spring in the tail cap only . The weight of the battery compressed the spring a little, making the battery loose connection with the driver in the front and cycling modes.
Solved this by switching to a much harder spring.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cat-man-do said:
Like the MTE P-7 torch I own, more than likely it is a problem with the switch. When going over rough terrain it is probably shorting which would cause the switch circuit to cycle through the modes. If not the switch, there is a intermittent disconnect on the torch somewhere which is pulsing the driver/switch to cycle through the modes.
Did replacing the switch fix the problem?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gillestugan said:
I had this problem with a torch (a cheap MDXL 3W). It had a spring in the tail cap only . The weight of the battery compressed the spring a little, making the battery loose connection with the driver in the front and cycling modes.
Solved this by switching to a much harder spring.
This could be true, when I "whack" the light end the flashlight I can get it to change modes

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
mbaha said:
Did replacing the switch fix the problem?
Yes, it did seem to solve the problem however I have yet to try using the torch on a ride due to the weather/winter season. I did try to take the old switch apart to see if I could fix it, unfortunately without success. It's possible that these switches don't handle the current load very well. There's no way to know if the new one will last until I start to use it on a long ride.

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
I have now been on several rides with two SSC P7 (5 mode) on my bars. I have not had any problems, but I did have a similar problem with an Ultrafire C1 Q5-WC 230-Lumen light. If the quick fixes do not work for you, send it back to DX (return center is in Miami) and they will send you another one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.