Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine the combined time wasted waiting for MTBR's servers to respond to http requests must be astounding. Francois, should we start passing the hat for upgrades?

I'm usually much more patient; I think finals are getting to me.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to think it was something with either my ISP or with my own machine, but it's the same everywhere I go. Even at work with a full DS3 to the Internet, the top banner loads right away, then 5-10 seconds for the rest of the page.

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Fricking Googleadware..

2TurnersNotEnough said:
I don't have a problem with the MTBR servers so much. Usually, it's related to the ad server being hung up.
Agreed Foxfire works better then IE. It seems worse on a windows based machine though. I'd love to be rid of it.

Oh and YES finals ARE getting to you..

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
adblocking is a real ******* move its how this site pulls its revenue

im mooching our connection off the neighbors and sure its slow, but i dont pay to be on mtbr so i dont have a right to *****.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,546 Posts
These forum pages are huge and there's a few third party ads on the right side which I don't always control.

Still, I see the page load on my end in about 3 seconds from home and the office.

The key is to use Firefox or Google Chrome. They are wayyy faster since they don't wait to render the page until all elements are loaded.

Don't use an ad blocker. That just harms our revenue and existence. Our server bill is $35k a month so passing the hat will need to be a very big hat.

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
35,546 Posts
TahoeBC said:
Ha, I just clicked on this thread and got this, made me laugh...

"The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."
Pedal faster homie.

We all have this at the office to help out.

fc

Attachments

·
(Ali)
782 Posts
francois said:
Don't use an ad blocker. That just harms our revenue and existence.
Agreed but I have a technical question: can you guys count the number of us that don't block the ads? Or is that a given that some undetectable percentage will block and that this is already factored in?

If you guys can't detect, then yes, we should not block the ads, and for the record, I never block ads. :p Even if I did (or didn't), I am one of the least to click on any ad. (Must be some childhood trauma; I am not sure... :) )

Ali

·
organically fed
1,175 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

I've been using Firefox with AdBlockPlus for waaay longer than I've known about mtbr. I ain't fid'n to change that now just for some crap ads that don't pertain to me.

Ban me if it's that huge of a deal. Better yet, censor discussions about ad blockers, especially for Ibex ads.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,546 Posts
w00t! said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

I've been using Firefox with AdBlockPlus for waaay longer than I've known about mtbr. I ain't fid'n to change that now just for some crap ads that don't pertain to me.

Ban me if it's that huge of a deal. Better yet, censor discussions about ad blockers, especially for Ibex ads.
Chill out. It's a free country. You can do what you want. Just be cool about it.

I've been using mtbr waaaay before firefox and ad blockers.

fc

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
francois said:
These forum pages are huge and there's a few third party ads on the right side which I don't always control.

Still, I see the page load on my end in about 3 seconds from home and the office.

The key is to use Firefox or Google Chrome. They are wayyy faster since they don't wait to render the page until all elements are loaded.

Don't use an ad blocker. That just harms our revenue and existence. Our server bill is $35k a month so passing the hat will need to be a very big hat.

fc
Server costs or circuit costs? You can't be buying $35,000 in server hardware each month. Circuits - I could see costing quite a bit, assuming you got fat internet pipes...

·
Mtbr Founder
35,546 Posts
iheartbicycles said:
Server costs or circuit costs? You can't be buying $35,000 in server hardware each month. Circuits - I could see costing quite a bit, assuming you got fat internet pipes...
That's the colocation bill. We're trying to get it down to 20k. That includes all the other sites and some other spam. Apparently they mostly charge based on bandwith and power consumption now.

fc

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.