Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

141 - 160 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Remember that your license plate needs to be fully visible so nothing like a bike rack and bikes on it to block a clear vision of the plate. Seems all too common and should be a hefty fine.
Depends on the state. I got pulled over for it in Washington, but in Utah there is a specific law to protect you for having bike racks blocking the license plate.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I'm not sure of a justification for a heavy fine, but I've blocked my plate many many many times over the years and, fortunately, never got stopped or fined.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Depends on the state. I got pulled over for it in Washington, but in Utah there is a specific law to protect you for having bike racks blocking the license plate.
I have a hitch rack and haven't been pulled over so far (knock on wood). Here in WA, there's a movement to allow racks that block the rear plate not being a violation. Not sure of its status right now.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Just go to a sticker shop and have them make a copy of your license plate. Then stick the sticker on a flat piece of metal or a flat spot on your carrier.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
I got stuck in the backyard.

I guess my desire for AWD/4x4 was confirmed. First 10' I try and drive it, I get stuck

I will be getting a locker and better tires. Also won't normally be driving it questionable locations, like back yards.
Definitely curious on which direction you go for a locker and how much you end up spending as I'm waffling on the same decision.

Lots of talk on capabilities in here but a loaded van with high load tires and 60-80psi will turn into the proverbial one wheel wonder right quick. Again on a gravel road it doesn't take much pitch to start spinning. As of now I'm a big fan of Cooper AT3's. Remarkably quiet and extremely well mannered on pavement for an all terrain mountain/snowflake rated tire. 60k tire to boot.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey RealDad, is your Promaster gas or diesel. I'm in the used market and would really prefer the diesel but they are hard to come by. So what do you have and how do you like it? Thanks.

·
This place needs an enema
15,786 Posts
I'm in the used market and would really prefer the diesel but they are hard to come by.
I have a diesel Promaster, already built out with a bike-specific cook/sleep/thrive setup.

Might not be exactly what you need, but I'll be selling it in ~4 weeks.

Love it to death, but we just bought a new house in snow country, with a steep-as driveway, and while the PM is great in the snow this driveway is 4WD-only all winter. Gotta get something 4WD.

Ping me if interested.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mike, thanks for the offer, I've seen your PM and your build-out is along the lines of what I would do. However, I think I would enjoy the design/build process too much to miss out on it.

·
15,786 Posts
Lots of talk on capabilities in here but a loaded van with high load tires and 60-80psi will turn into the proverbial one wheel wonder right quick. Again on a gravel road it doesn't take much pitch to start spinning. As of now I'm a big fan of Cooper AT3's. Remarkably quiet and extremely well mannered on pavement for an all terrain mountain/snowflake rated tire. 60k tire to boot

My Promaster is ~7k pounds when loaded for our average ~week out. ~3900# on the front axle. Front wheel drive.

59k miles and I have yet (touches wood) to get stuck in snow, mud, or sand. Some of that is being cautious about where we pull off of maintained roads. Some of it is being delicate with the throttle when things are soft. Some of it is surely luck.

And some of it is undoubtedly that this front wheel drive vehicle with a *lot* of weight on the front axle is suprisingly capable. I've gotten stalled out behind Civics and Accords and other FWD sedans that have spun out on icy/snowy climbs. Parked the van, got out, helped push them off to the side, their front tires spinning all the while. Got back in my van, put it in first, and (delicately) crept right up what had stopped them cold. This happens with some regularity every winter. Point simply being that I don't think all 2WD vans are equal.

I tried BFG KO2's for ~5k miles -- after finding some reason to choose them over the Cooper's. Lost over 5mpg across the board. That still put me in a few mpg's higher than a Sprinter gets with street tires, but still -- that loss seemed completely unacceptable/irresponsible, especially given that I couldn't tell any difference in performance anywhere. I liked the way the KO2's looked but that was the only tangible (?) benefit.

So I had the tire shop swap them for some Michelin LTX's. I run 'em at 55psi to give a smoother ride. I still get ~23-26mpg in average/mixed driving conditions. I've gotten as high as 31mpg on two-laners when keeping it around 60mph. I never once got above 19mpg with the KO2's.

Point simply being that unless you're getting a specific snow tire like a Blizzak I'm not sure it matters much for traction, but holyeffingholy does it make a difference with mileage.

·
15,786 Posts
Mike, thanks for the offer, I've seen your PM and your build-out is along the lines of what I would do. However, I think I would enjoy the design/build process too much to miss out on it.

Careful what you wish for... ;)

It was intensely satisfying to build this one out, no doubt. But man -- it takes so much longer than you think it will. If you're the patient type that enjoys the process this just makes that process last that much longer, which is its own gratification.

I'm the type that would rather be out riding, or boating, or simply sleeping under the stars. For me it took way too long...

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hey RealDad, is your Promaster gas or diesel. I'm in the used market and would really prefer the diesel but they are hard to come by. So what do you have and how do you like it? Thanks.
Mine is gas. I was originally looking at diesel MB and the maintenance costs on them was ungodly. Additionally, I don't have anyone in my valley who really works on diesel, so if something did go wrong I would have to get it towed pretty far away.

Lots of people have diesels and like them, but they are hard to find and I could be wrong but I think they stopped making a diesel version in 2020, so that tells you something.

I like my van greatly and it gets great gas mileage IMO for what it is. I get about 18-20mpg combined on a somewhat loaded 159 High Roof van. Again better than my 4th gen 4runner.

If you are having problems finding vans near you, do a nationwide search and buy last year or a few years ago model from a dealer. I was able to get a 2017 at the end of 2017 with low miles and a better than new warranty for about $15k less than a new van. I hopped on a plane, picked it up and drove it home. Pretty easy. I think the important part is to get it from a reputable dealer with a solid FCA warranty. My friend did what I did but bought it private party and got burned.

Oh and try to buy at least a 2016 on up version. Earlier versions were new and so had some problems that got ironed out.

Here is a little thread to go over, but I would check out this forum and read through it if you haven't already.
https://www.promasterforum.com/threads/gas-vs-diesel-educate-me.56130/

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know all about taking longer than you think it should. I started building a house last July and hope to move in a June. Not only does it take longer, but it costs more than you think it should.

Realdad, thanks for the info. I'm generally a big diesel fan, but like I said they are hard to find. How is the gas version for powering up hills?

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
And some of it is undoubtedly that this front wheel drive vehicle with a *lot* of weight on the front axle is suprisingly capable.
I'm going with that, at least vs a pre Transit Ford van with an open diff. Speaking of which is that what's in the Promaster? I'm guessing it has at least some anti-slip brake lock tech?

Those LTX's are damn nice tires as well. I can't speak to them regarding mileage vs the Cooper's. In 15k on the Cooper's my average is 15.4 mpg with mostly city driving. I got exactly 17.2 on my Moab trip this past summer. Coincidentally 17.2-17.4 is what I got in my 93 with a 6cyl and 2001 e250 with a 5.4 over 24-27k respectively on big xcountry trips with different tires. Conservative all terrain tires seem to be of little consequence on van generations predating the more efficient drivetrains. Though my 2011 is much heavier than my past 2 full size vans.

With all that said I'd still prefer a more aggressive tire for the adventure portion of life my van sees. So in that regard I agree with you. The Cooper's were a big improvement to what I bought it with though, and highway comfort is truly impressive.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
People frown on others living out of their vehicles. How can one beat free rent! The only issue for some is taking a dump, but a home depot bucket is good enough but what about the females in da house, simple cushioning around the top edge is not sufficient to calm their nerves. Go all out for an actual toilet seat that wont wobble or break off. As for #1 for the guys in da house, the bottles with the wide opening, like Gatorade bottles. It always amazed me that no matter how much I drank I could never get 1L full on one go.

141 - 160 of 191 Posts