Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

181 - 191 of 191 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
15,786 Posts
For better offroad performance you can put a small lift, better shocks and springs, and bigger tires on those too. Beats a Sprinter IMO. Which engine did you get?

Yep, VC does some good stuff.

I wanted a bit more ground clearance so I went up one size on the tires. But I don't drive 'off road' and the suspension feels great for the way I use it, so I won't likely be spending money in that direction.

·
This place needs an enema
15,786 Posts
You haven't lived until you've taken a drill and jigsaw to the skin of a brand new, doesn't-even-have-plates-yet van.

So focused was I on getting everything right, and keeping the saw from binding or creeping, that I didn't notice the elk that had crept up behind me until I went inside the van to push the cutout out.

I got it all put back together by ~sunset, but when I took it to town the next day for groceries it had some god-awful creaks and squeaks. Had to remove/reinstall it two more times to get it quiet.

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,884 Posts
Accidental vanlife.

My car was totaled last week, so now I am using my ambulance for everything. And since I need to replace the glow plugs, it won't start in the cold. So I am driving it to work at night and sleeping at work right now.

(I could use a block heater, but my "home" isn't much better)

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,884 Posts
Little update:

After my car was totaled, and after I healed enough to do work, I started dedicating more time to the project. Still not willing to sacrifice much fun time (riding and running with the GF, etc) so I just did a little here and there (with exception for the mechanical repairs that I hit hard). Tight fit in here. Replaced the glow plugs, relay, fuel filter, and turbo up pipes (maybe other things?). Then did a few small local trips, making a few changes here and there.

Changes include building a bed frame, using my bouldering crash pad as a mattress. Fixed some electrical issues so now I have functioning lighting inside, high beams work again, and put in a sound system so I can listen to music while driving! Bike mounts are added, and I get a chest refrigerator. Also got a small solar setup with a nice house battery and isolated most of the electrical systems from cab and box.

The GF and I decided to go to St George for Memorial Day weekend for a four day trip. Right before leaving we made a last minute decision to go to Bryce to pace the final 14 minutes of the 50 miler for a friend of ours who's pacer her ditched her. We got several days of riding and running on Zen, Jem, Hurricane Rim, Thunder Mountain, and others before heading home. Definitely very nice having a permanent bed to crawl into whenever we decided to sleep, even if it is just on an off ramp. Which came in handy when a crash shut down the freeway and I luckily pulled off the freeway at the last second right when I saw brake lights. We slept there for a few hours, then got caught in more traffic from another wreck, so I got to work a couple hours late.

Still more work to do. Working on building a water tank from PCV, going to try and build a sink and mount the camping stove. Going to work on getting some more external lighting working, try and improve the ventilation, and other items that I probably haven't found yet.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Cool.
Nothing beats having a bed ready in cabin. Simply park and lay down.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sidewalk

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Yeah, that's really good mpg's.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,884 Posts
I am pretty happy about it too. Keeping your foot out of the (not so) loud pedal helps a lot. I rarely see my boost go above 2 PSI, but it will hit 15 PSI if I hit it hard. I am not currently planning on opening up the exhaust, though that MIGHT improve it further.

181 - 191 of 191 Posts