Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We are proud to announce a new and informative article in our Spotlight section called the MTBR Lights Shine-Off!

We did some tests and comparison of the latest HID lights and a few other popular non-HID models as well.

Read the article here:

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/

Please post your opinions, comments or general thoughts about the article here!

Thanks for checking it out.

-gregg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit 2006-10-20 by CraigH

Previous light comparison, mostly Halogen
http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lights/

Discussion thread about the older spotlight thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=1800

Light Reviews:
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/lights/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,417 Posts
Great article Gregg...

I am sure this will become one of those frequently viewed areas like the Brake FAQ area. Good to see that MTBR is still producing stuff that will help the inquiring minds.

TJ

gregg said:
We are proud to announce a new and informative article in our Spotlight section called the MTBR Lights Shine-Off!

We did some tests and comparison of the latest HID lights and a few other popular non-HID models as well.

Read the article here:

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/

Please post your opinions, comments or general thoughts about the article here!

Thanks for checking it out.

-gregg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Very Cool Stuff

gregg said:
We are proud to announce a new and informative article in our Spotlight section called the MTBR Lights Shine-Off!

We did some tests and comparison of the latest HID lights and a few other popular non-HID models as well.

Read the article here:

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/

Please post your opinions, comments or general thoughts about the article here!

Thanks for checking it out.

-gregg

GREAT COMPARISON PIECE!! The pictures of the light patterns is something you can't get anywhere else. Nice work.
 

·
Lazy People Suck
Joined
·
767 Posts
Feeling Pretty Good about my Turbocats

I have a Turbocat S47 bar light and a TG15 helmet light, both halogens. I have always felt like I was never at a disadvantage over my friends who are largely using Niterider and L&M HID lights. It seemed as if I was putting out at least as much light, but the comparison seems to confirms my subjective observations. Turbocat really does make a high quality product. Their beam pattern seems to be very good.

I do concede my runtime is not as long as the HIDs, but our night rides usually average around 2 hours and neither light has died yet on the trail, so it is largely irrelevant.
 

·
grasso e lento
Joined
·
410 Posts
Thanks this is great

Thanks for the update this is a great article.

-Dude
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Just got my CygoLite Hi-Lux 30 a few months ago and I'll admit I'm still curious how it stacks up against a lot of the other stuff on the market. I don't have much opportunity to go out and compare with other lights around here at night. I have no idea where it would fit in on your test. I just know it seemed to be the best I could afford at the time (about $100).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,636 Posts
Jet beam pattern confusion?

I'm writing because I think that the article needs some clarification on a couple of the beam comparisons. I would like to clarify the images of the Jet lights in particular. The M6 is really a bar light, at least according to the Jet web site. The Jet Phantom SB Beam is really a helmet light, at least according to the Jet web site. This is where it looks confusing; the actual light beams almost seem reversed. The Phantom picture looks great, but is that really a helmet light picture? It better compares to the TurboCat S47 bar light for example. The M6 also looks more like a helmet light, not a bar light. Did anybody else think this looked a little strange?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Something that needed to be added to the article is the cost of replacement bulbs.
Halogen bulbs: $5-$20
HID: $80.


Something that seems to be popular with the light manufacturers is increasing the voltage to increase light output. Increasing the voltage by 10% (12 volts to 13.2 volts) increases lumen output by 42%, but as we know nothing is free. This extra light output comes at a price. Life. The filaments only makes 40% of ratedlife (from 3000 hours to 1200 hours).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
On/Off switch

gregg said:
We are proud to announce a new and informative article in our Spotlight section called the MTBR Lights Shine-Off!

We did some tests and comparison of the latest HID lights and a few other popular non-HID models as well.

Read the article here:

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/

Please post your opinions, comments or general thoughts about the article here!

Thanks for checking it out.

-gregg
I did a 24 hour race last October, and one my biggest complaint, was the on/off switch button on both the NightRider and Light and Motion HID lights. Besides the 10-15 second delay or whatever, there was something funky going on. It appear to me like the on-off switch needed to be improve? anybody else share the same experience with these lights?
Also found the NightRider reflector panel?? the thing just behind the bulb, is very fragile, is made of glass or something. It broke on me on a small crash.

Good arcticle I wish I had some literature like this earlier. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
good news is that most of laptop li-ion battery are 10.8 or 11.1volts which means that you could use it on your Light & Motion ARC HID.
The only issue that I have is to find the same 3 pins connectors used by L&M???
Who knows where to find it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
Kley said:
I did a 24 hour race last October, and one my biggest complaint, was the on/off switch button on both the NightRider and Light and Motion HID lights. Besides the 10-15 second delay or whatever, there was something funky going on. It appear to me like the on-off switch needed to be improve? anybody else share the same experience with these lights?
Also found the NightRider reflector panel?? the thing just behind the bulb, is very fragile, is made of glass or something. It broke on me on a small crash.

Good arcticle I wish I had some literature like this earlier. Thanks

i tested both of the aforementioned systems and had similar problems with new units. The on/off switches are just too finicky ao I settled on a Lupine which has a better beam than either anyway.

why was the Topeak, Cateye, Lupine, Lumicycles and others left out of the test. Seems to me like the article on HID's served to market american products only when there are other products available. I'd like to see those tested as well before I can view this article as balanced.
 

·
Tracking up the place
Joined
·
627 Posts
I like

I like the beam comparison, it helps define what is wanted...and not having to wait and beats lookin in the shop.. I would like to see how th code 15 or 25 vistlite faired..I sitlluse mine and am looking for more nightsticks...I am not electrically inclined...to build my own.
 

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
Joined
·
708 Posts
Lupine vs L&M

moonraker said:
I have seen nothing that compares to the Lupine lights. Just ask world 24 hour champion Chris Eatough what he likes best. check out Mt. Gretna Mountain Bikes
My 2 cents:

I have used both in races and would say they are very similar in wieght, beam pattern, construction quality and burn time. All these things being equal, I next looked at price. This is where the big difference appears. Lupine is about twice as much as L&M for basically the same product. I went with L&M and have no complaints from two 12s, two 24s and numerous training nighties this year.

Eddie O
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
Eddie O said:
My 2 cents:

I have used both in races and would say they are very similar in wieght, beam pattern, construction quality and burn time. All these things being equal, I next looked at price. This is where the big difference appears. Lupine is about twice as much as L&M for basically the same product. I went with L&M and have no complaints from two 12s, two 24s and numerous training nighties this year.

Eddie O

sorry but I think you're very much mistaken.
My LBS lent me a Edison 5 and a L&M ARC on the same night to do a test so I could decide on which light I wanted.
The L&M hs a nice smooth beam with a very small very hot centre. It's run time is 3.5hrs maximum if you use the conservative 11W setting and 3hrs at 13W.

enter the Lupine Edison:
The bea has a bigger hot spot in the centre but does not reach as far down the trail. The beam also covers the same area as the L&M. However even at 10W (low setting) it is brighter than the L&M!! an then when you switch it too High beam or 16W it literally drowns the L&M's beam.


The run times for these models are similar but I decided to purchase the Lupine Edison 10 which has an 8hr run time on LOW!!

IME the Lupine is much better system with better beam but the L&M is better value for money.
The Lupine has superb features though and coupled to the reliability of the system - the L&M would not restart after a 30min puncture break!! - I would take the Lupine ove the L&M again purely for safety.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
Bigwheel said:
Check out this new model from the folks at USE. SLED technology.

http://www.exposurelights.com/exposure_spec.htm
heard about those and apparently people who have sen them in action are impressed. This is on British forums though an they have a habit of plugging their own stuff.
Wait until the working models are released.
I'm no convinced they're as good as we'reeing LED to believe... :cool:
 

·
Trail rider and racer
Joined
·
4,691 Posts
Brad said:
sorry but I think you're very much mistaken.
My LBS lent me a Edison 5 and a L&M ARC on the same night to do a test so I could decide on which light I wanted.
The L&M hs a nice smooth beam with a very small very hot centre. It's run time is 3.5hrs maximum if you use the conservative 11W setting and 3hrs at 13W.

enter the Lupine Edison:
The bea has a bigger hot spot in the centre but does not reach as far down the trail. The beam also covers the same area as the L&M. However even at 10W (low setting) it is brighter than the L&M!! an then when you switch it too High beam or 16W it literally drowns the L&M's beam.


The run times for these models are similar but I decided to purchase the Lupine Edison 10 which has an 8hr run time on LOW!!

IME the Lupine is much better system with better beam but the L&M is better value for money.
The Lupine has superb features though and coupled to the reliability of the system - the L&M would not restart after a 30min puncture break!! - I would take the Lupine ove the L&M again purely for safety.
The Edison 10 is a killer light system. Very reliable. I think the width of the beam is great, I couldn't imagine requiring a wider beam to be honest. The low setting is great, and I find I use that most times. High is great though - really bright.

I have done more night riding with my Lupines than I have ever done in the past, and I have only had them for a few months.

Great choice in light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
Trevor! said:
The Edison 10 is a killer light system. Very reliable. I think the width of the beam is great, I couldn't imagine requiring a wider beam to be honest. The low setting is great, and I find I use that most times. High is great though - really bright.

I have done more night riding with my Lupines than I have ever done in the past, and I have only had them for a few months.

Great choice in light.
SO you have more than One edison then??

it must be great riding with two Edison's
 
1 - 19 of 75 Posts
Top