Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sry for mi English in advance

I want your help to set up mi new "used" Nomad i post all photos i want it for all mountain all around .. the color and the size i think its a personal question (I bought my used one therefore I could not choose the color, its polish :mad: ), now it wanted your help for the remaining assembly, I give the options and you choose you agree? we begin whit headset what do you think ABOUT:

Chris King NoThreadset

OR

Hope Headset

·
Registered
729 Posts
What fork?????????????? I think you should determine that before the headset. In general the King works great but there have been several issues with using it with 180mm forks. If your fork is going to be less in travel then you probably are good with the King. I would definitely go with that over Hope, American Company with excellent rep and CS vs English company.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Micka said:
Here's something worth reading and perhaps considering.
http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=The_BEST_Headset
Good find Micka!

I have the S3 on my Nomad.
They are awesome headsets that'll give you many years of use/abuse.
I can buy 3 or 4 of them for the same price as a CK.

True CK has the "bling factor"...but....
Ever try to deal with CK's warranty dept?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Bora said:
Nice link Micka the Cane Creek never was in mi mind but your link get mi some to think about ...Chris King wons
I also have a CC S3 +5 on my Nomad. I was advised on this product as I needed to ensure proper clearance for the ATA knob on my 2007 66 fork. The headset it replaced was a CK, when I changed out forks.

I am very happy with the S3 as it does not creak like the CK did, it is very smooth and have not even thought about it since it was installed. For the price I would not hesitate to install another S3 on other bikes or to replace the existing one. Now if I was only concerned about bling, maybe the S3 would not be my first choice. However my concerns on a bike are things like shocks and forks, tire choices (to hook up on the wet and sometimes greasy shore trails, and that is where I will spend the extra $$$ to get what I want.

Everybody has reasons for picking the gear they do on their bikes, but it is important select the right gear for your riding style and budget.

Cheers

Jeff

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok here it is CK black

I think its a good deal now next step crankset:

Shimano XT Cranks HollowTech II & BB M760

OR

RaceFace Atlas AM & Rings X-Type

I think Saint are overmatch for the Nomad ....but???

·
certified mtb addict
163 Posts
I would definitely go with the Juicy 7's. I have XT's on my BLT and they are strong enough to stop you, but I prefer the feel & bite & power of Juicys. The Juicys will be somewhat more difficult to setup than the XT's, but the benefits are worth it I think.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,987 Posts
WHEELS -- Azonic Outlaw!!! A crank that's too much for the Nomad doesn't exist. The XT is a good choice, as is the 66 fork. My choice would have been Travis Single 150, but it's your bike, not mine. SRAM drivetrain all the way -- I won't run Shimano anymore (front de's are OK, disc hubs are OK, but the rest is puke).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.