Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, this is a Nor-Cal forum board, not passion, not general discussion, ect... But, since I have roamed mostly here since I've been a member, I know and recognize you users more than others, so here goes my question: I'm getting into motorcycles (sport/commute bikes) and noticed that through various google searches, I haven't found anything close to MTBR for motorcycles (I know, I know, nothing is going to be as great as MTBR, but you know what I mean...). Anyways, any opinions from you guys/gals who when you feel lazy, you rather accelerate through your wrist and not your quads? In other words, a web site for new riders, questions, and basically everything that we ask here, but for motorcycles (maitenence, good shops, group rides, ect). Thanks alot, I appreciate anything you can throw at me. :D

O, by the way, if anyone knows of any good 02-06 Yamaha FZ6 bikes for sale other than craigslist, shout that my way, too. Thanks alot guys!:p

·
Paper or plastic?
10,288 Posts
Steve,

Will this be your first bike ever? IMHO, starting with a sport bike is a recipe for disaster. Those suckers are real fast, and it's really hard to resist the temptation to twist that right grip. My first bike was an old Seca 400. It was a complete dog but it was the perfect starter bike to hone my skills. I'm pretty sure that I would have eaten pretty bad if I had started with a powerful sport bike. Then again, you might have more self control than I when it comes to the accelerator.

·
Registered
359 Posts
A FZ6 isn't a full-on sportbike, but a modern standard bike. IMO it will be fine for commuting with the higher grips and lower foot pegs. Here's a pic:

I've started on a Suzuki SV650, which is somewhat similar to the FZ6 and have no regrets about it. Things you don't like can be changed - although get's expensive.

Another newbie friendly forum is https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/ , which isn't as big as BARF and attracts more laid-back riders (at least that's my impression).

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I like sportbikes.net

Link is (duh):

http://www.sportbikes.net/

It's a huge site, but not review style, like Mtbr.

I'm ALL for a MotorcycleReview.com site, and have discussed this in the past with Francis...perhaps it's time to revisit this idea??

I think the FZ6 would be a great choice for a sporty commuter. Probably one of the best choices, if you can afford it, would be a VFR (you can add touring to the duties of the VFR, too.) And there are a LOT of motorcycles on Craigslist right now...selling season, for sure.

Have had several motorcycles in my lifetime, mostly sport bikes, and a couple of dirt bikes (and even a Seca 400). Marriage and kids put the motorcycles on hold for me, but I recently got back into it (and I mean recently.)

I bought this off of Photo-John about 3 weeks ago, have only ridden it a handful of times so far, though :(

-g

(p.s. that Husky looks friggin' Sick!!)

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
BARF is the best forum for motos in the bay. They organize a weekly ride as well.

I have a 1983 Kawasaki GPZ550, but I just blew the head gasket a few weeks ago. The 550 is a great starter bike too. It's got about 55hp, and I've heard an SV650 has about 65hp. However, the SV is a lot faster, I'm not gonan argue anything along those lines. For awhile I had a Suzuki VX800, kind of an earlier SV, but shaft drive.

I'm gonna buy a Ninja EX250 ASAP. It's time to learn how to really corner. The bike is so light it's super flickable. I keep hearing how much fun they are and how well they handle twisties. Going fast on the freeway takes little skill and isn't appealing to me. Railing mountain twisties (25-60mph) is where it's at!

·
Registered
913 Posts
bikenweed said:
BARF is the best forum for motos in the bay. They organize a weekly ride as well.

I have a 1983 Kawasaki GPZ550, but I just blew the head gasket a few weeks ago. The 550 is a great starter bike too. It's got about 55hp, and I've heard an SV650 has about 65hp. However, the SV is a lot faster, I'm not gonan argue anything along those lines. For awhile I had a Suzuki VX800, kind of an earlier SV, but shaft drive.

I'm gonna buy a Ninja EX250 ASAP. It's time to learn how to really corner. The bike is so light it's super flickable. I keep hearing how much fun they are and how well they handle twisties. Going fast on the freeway takes little skill and isn't appealing to me. Railing mountain twisties (25-60mph) is where it's at!
Several weekly rides, in fact!

I'm actually a moderator in a couple of forums there, and have met a lot of good people in those parts. There's a mountain biking contingent there as well:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82426

Have you looked into doing any trackdays / track schools yet?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for your input.

Zorg & beaverbike : I've been told the same thing you've told me. But I honestly think (o, here he goes...) that I would have the self control to not roll on the throttle full speed. From flipping over in a car 2.5 times on 17, going fast on/in a vehicle isn't one of my favorite things in the world, anyway (at least in vehicles, anyway).

Everyone else: thanks for the input, the sites look awesome! Thanks!

·
Registered
913 Posts
rensho said:
I'm all over the MV. I saw it 3 weeks ago online. I want. Hopefully it is 'only' $9k.
That's pretty damn sexy!

beaverbiker said:
definitely don't get a sport bike for commuting. unless you're out there trying to race people. for easy commuting and safety, go with a dual sport dirt bik/supermoto. those things are a lot easier to ride in traffic when you have to dodge around idiots. slacker head angles and a more relaxed/comfortable riding position. also, you can ride them in the dirt as well:) check out the honda XR650's or the ktm adventure 950's. those are both killer rides.
A buddy of mine picked up a KTM Adventure and took it up to Oregon via different backroads and fireroads. While he absolutely loves that bike, I'm not sure how easy it would be to squeeze something like that between stopped traffic on freeways as a commuter.

gregg said:
I think the FZ6 would be a great choice for a sporty commuter. Probably one of the best choices, if you can afford it, would be a VFR (you can add touring to the duties of the VFR, too.)
The FZ6 was a fun little bike. I do some freelance work for a local motorcycle magazine, and got to ride one around for a few weeks before returning it to Yamaha down in Los Angeles. I actually like the YZF600R a little more though. It's not *quite* as upright, but it's pretty darned comfortable, with more low-end, mid-range, and wind protection. I can also find them for as low as 2k used.

I got to ride a VFR800 as well, and wanted to like it more than I did. But with a rather flat power delivery and 50 more pounds carried higher in the chassis, it wasn't as much fun as my 1993 ZX-6E, which currently has 81,000 miles and is on its second motor.

And there are a LOT of motorcycles on Craigslist right now...selling season, for sure.
No kidding. I've been playing musical motorcycles in the last two weeks, having sold a 2000 CBR1100XX and a 2000 GSX-R750 to pick up a 2003 GSX-R1000. I'm looking forward to getting this thing dialed in and cutting a few laps on it.

Here's a shot on my old GSX-R750, pre-paintjob:

Attachments

·
aka Manzanita Tom
87 Posts
Bike-wise, if you're new to motorcycling, I would check out Suzuki SV650 (especially 1999-2002); used BMW F650; and Kawi KLR650. All are very capable street bikes, very reliable/bulletproof motors, low maintenance, and excellent commuter choices.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts