Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been itching to let the veil off of her for about a week now to see what you think. This is a 6 inch travel AllMountain bike. We're not sure the market is ready yet for such a long travel bike, but we wanted to see what was possible. Because of the bent seat tube, we were able to keep the chainstays to 460mm. The ultimate angle of the seat tube above the pivot was determined by using a vitual placement of the seat (adjusted per size) and making the effective seat tube angle 73 degrees. Obviously, this angle will change slightly depending on the seat height. I've been prototyping this frame as a 26 inch wheel for about a year now, and refining it before converting it over to a 29er. As she sits (without pedals) she is 30.2 pounds. This includes some new heavy duty 29er rims from WTB. We would love to hear your comments and look forward to you posts.

Steve
Niner Bikes

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Steve, when I pray, is it you answering the call?

That bike is pretty much exactly what I've been looking to get as an ideal FS.
But, I'm afriad your largest size won't be compatible with my long legs.
Will these frame have a taller seattube top to not have lots of slack-angled seatpost taking the increased load?

Sure looks nice! Have you been riding it already?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kbell said:
This was my first thought. Would they get flexy with time. 30.2 sounds good if it's 5"+ of travel. Heavy if it's 4" or less.
four pivots is the same as any horst link bike. I used larger bearings and have been hammering some downhill courses on the 26" version without issue of play. I won't be able to ride this version until after Interbike.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Niner Bikes said:
four pivots is the same as any horst link bike. I used larger bearings and have been hammering some downhill courses on the 26" version without issue of play. I won't be able to ride this version until after Interbike.
I guess similar to the VPP (all pivots near the front and none in the back) which I felt was laterally stiffer than FSR. I'm not being critical, just giving constructive criticism. Hope it was received that way.

I had the idea one time of a FS design which would be similar to the old ' 82 Suzuki RM-125s and 250s. They had a design back then called the Full Floater which worked great to combat squat when accelerating. Unfortunately, I think someone else alreday has a patent on such a design.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
The suspension looks similar to the concept that Balfa used with their 2Step FR frame - is this somewhat of an accurate statement?

I spent some time on a 2Step DH that I carried as a demo bike and for a 7" travel freeride bike it pedalled great and cornered like it was on rails. I never carried a 2Step FR as a demo, but other 2Step Riders really like the way the suspension worked on their 2Step frames - so perhaps you guys have taken that concept to the next level of refinement here with your 29er FS frame.

That bike looks truly amazing - and I give you guys mad props for really putting out some amazing frames in what seems to be a relatively short period of time as a company.

For comparison purposes:

Please produce this frame - people will buy it!!!!

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Oh yeah and if you need an East Coast Test pilot for this frame, please let me know as I'd be more than happy to oblige. :D

I can't stop coming back to this thread and looking at the photos over and over again.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
SWEET!

Looks a bit like it might function similar to a DW-Link Ironhorse or even the DW ripoff Giant Maestro stuff. Very cool. Throw a Mav DUC32 on the front and LOOK OUT! :D ;)

Will you have a proto available to ride at Interbike? Not that I'll be there but it will be cool to hear how it rides.

Cheers!
-Ian

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.