Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
King of vegetarians
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MTBR custom bike of the year,nominate your candidates!
Here's my first,a sweet titanium adventure bike from Desalvo for jfkbike2.
Jeff k good 1.JPG

·
Five is right out
3,174 Posts
Don't laugh at the tyres- it's one of those new-fangled aquabikes ;)

(Seriously though- what are those tyres for?)

·
King of vegetarians
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
womble said:
Don't laugh at the tyres- it's one of those new-fangled aquabikes ;)
(Seriously though- what are those tyres for?)
They (Surly endomorphs) are currently the best tires for snow and sand,but there are plenty of guys here that use them for pretty much anything and everything.
Don`t forget to post your favorite custom bike:)

·
thecentralscrutinizer
2,981 Posts
Man, that BB is low. I think the fat tires look sweet, but I'd hate to lug them up hill.

·
King of vegetarians
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mopartodd said:
Man, that BB is low. I think the fat tires look sweet, but I'd hate to lug them up hill.
The tires are not that heavy for their size,3.7" come in at around 1250g.It`s the 65mm rims that are the real penalty,the xc version is around 1150g(100g less than the dh version).But even at that weight alot of people say that they don`t feel too bad,this bike has a rohloff too!

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts

Gotta admit that is pretty sweeet :p (pic by airwreck)

From the Norco Booth at CrankWorx :D (pic by gregg)

Sweet Santa Cruz (although the only thing custom is the paint job) - by Cunning Linguist

You can never crash with that bike! (pic by The Squeaky Wheel)

.....thats all from me..i only posted 4:p

·
King of vegetarians
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beautiful and interesting collection Oilerfan30.Although being that this is MTBR custom bike of the year thread,I would say that the only bike that qualifies as an MTB is the Santa Cruz with a custom paint job by Cunning Linguist.See if you can find another three candidates so that we can make it an even 4:thumbsup:

·
King of vegetarians
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bells Brewery MTB said:
Great family!are they all yours?
But if I had to only pick one then I would have to say the Quiring with Look Fournalès linkage fork and Zipp rims is VERY interesting,but I can`t help but think of Axis II`s rig every time I see that fork so I may as well nominate his bike as well.
axis.jpg
Remember everyone,all your feed back and opinions are helpful and will shape the final candidates that will be featured on a new voting thread to determine the 2007 MTBR custom bike of the year.

·
- factotum -
821 Posts
Quiring, eh?

Seems that Quiring will have to do a lot with the Custom Bike of the year.

My vote: SBK`s Quiring Ti:

please note the flames!

q-rigid-single-03.jpg

·
King of vegetarians
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Flames noted!

Pooh Bear said:
Seems that Quiring will have to do a lot with the Custom Bike of the year.

My vote: SBK`s Quiring Ti:

please note the flames!

View attachment 276413
Finally,Ti SS 29er representin:thumbsup:
Is that yours Pooh Bear and if so then what are the details and components that you chose?I see a Moots seat post and a Black Sheep 29" fork (great pairing),what else is on there?

·
- factotum -
821 Posts
yoginasser said:
Finally,Ti SS 29er representin:thumbsup:
Is that yours Pooh Bear and if so then what are the details and components that you chose?I see a Moots seat post and a Black Sheep 29" fork (great pairing),what else is on there?
nope, not mine. I wouldn't nominate my own bike, because then I would not understand if it didn't win.

As I wrote SBK is the name of the forum member. You find it in the 29er board. There are detail shots as well: AMAZING! it's not paint...

·
Registered
79 Posts
My pick

unufortunately its not my bike but it is my favorite one so far, im not sure what all the components are, rohloff custom build, paragon drops' these wheels look nice as well

thy-gkatfc01.jpg

i like the De Salvo from the top of the page as well
nice thread yoginasser, try to keep it for custom bikes like your title say

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
These guys I know build bikes in their backyard. The catch: There fixed gear bikes. Pretty extreme if you ask me. This ones called the "Damn Fool"

Check em out at smokebikes.com

·
King of vegetarians
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow!Gotta wear some shades to look at that picture!

Great choice GoldinJohn,that is my favorite (and most original IMO) Thylacine custom that I have seen so far.
i like the De Salvo from the top of the page as well
nice thread yoginasser, try to keep it for custom bikes like your title say
Thank you for the feedback and the nice words,and I completely agree with your thoughts of adhering to the parameters of a custom bike.But I realized shortly after I started this thread that the parameters and definitions for custom MTB is very broad due to its relative and subjective nature,so that is why I have decided to create several categories to be fair in recognizing and celebrating everyones efforts in customizing their bikes and helping in bringing our passion of cycling to new heights.
Some categories that I think would be helpful are:
1-29er of the year
2-26er of the year
3-69er of the year
4-96er of the year
5-Rigid of the year
6-Suser of the year
7-SS of the year
8-Ladies bike of the year
9-Vintage bike of the year
10-Urban/DJ bike of the year
11-Custom Steel frame of the year
12-Custom Aluminum frame of the year
13-Custom Carbon Fiber frame of the year
14-Custom Titanium frame of the year
15-Finish and color scheme of the year
16-Lightest bike of the year
17-Heaviest bike of the year
My thought is that the favorites in these categories (and any others that I have not considered) can face off for MTB of the year in December.I welcome all your suggestions and feedback in making the process better and more fun.Keep in mind that I am not the one that will decide the outcome of these threads,it`s you guys and your opinions.So if someone posts a bike you like,say so.And if you don`t like it,then be gentle:p

1 - 20 of 56 Posts