Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last couple of times I have sold/tried to sell items utilizing the classifieds I have been bombarded with dumb questions and flakes. People hit the email hard with a definite response that they want an item then flake after a day or two. In the mean time I have put 3-5 people on hold only for this first buyer to flake. What is up with the classifieds? Lowballing. Deadbeats. Dummies. No consideration for a sellers time or money.

Grrrrr.....

There goes another $2. At least it is going to support this site.

What are the odds of getting our own feedback forum here on this board?

·
Premium Member
7,599 Posts
I was just going to complain about the classifieds, but from a buyers perspective. I have responded to 10 ads in the past two weeks trying to find out if the item is still available and have had exactly one response. Crap, no wonder people have so much trouble selling stuff.

·
Registered
571 Posts
While we're ranting - can I add one more?

Don't post an ad for a $3,000.00 bike without a picture. No - I don't want to email you for pics - instead, I'll keep scrolling to the 500 ads below yours....

Ahhhh - much better.

Rant over.

GF

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
CDMC said:
I was just going to complain about the classifieds, but from a buyers perspective. I have responded to 10 ads in the past two weeks trying to find out if the item is still available and have had exactly one response. Crap, no wonder people have so much trouble selling stuff.
that's more mtbr's fault actually. The stupid change they made to block the seller's email addresses appearing in the main email reply button forces prospective buyers to use mtbr's stupid forking private messaging system. And 90% of the time the damn thing LOSES the replies from the sellers.

Used to be I'd run a LOT more ads per month, and get lots of responses, but since mtbr switched to that message system, I got a lot fewer responses and as such, don't waste more than a tenth of what I used to spend (easily $30 to $40US) on ads per month as it just isn't worth the hassle when pinkbike is free, has an easier image load, allows more images per ad, and keeps track of all the ads you run and redoes the indexes each week, and allows quick and easy resubmitions with a single button, and easy removals when sold, again, single button.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
But its still not as bad

dsb1829 said:
Last couple of times I have sold/tried to sell items utilizing the classifieds I have been bombarded with dumb questions and flakes. People hit the email hard with a definite response that they want an item then flake after a day or two. In the mean time I have put 3-5 people on hold only for this first buyer to flake. What is up with the classifieds? Lowballing. Deadbeats. Dummies. No consideration for a sellers time or money.

Grrrrr.....

There goes another $2. At least it is going to support this site.

What are the odds of getting our own feedback forum here on this board?
as some of the Ebay vampires or craigslist freaks. I've had more good experiences then bad ones.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
mtbr.com sellers seem to have difficulty getting back to me. Maybe like D8 said, it's getting lost, but I've had more luck inquiring via private mail after reading someone's post of "I just got so-and-so part, and it's replacing my 1-day old so-and-so part..." I have purchased a lot of great things by asking, "Hey, you wanna sell your 1-day old part..."

As for craigslist, geez, it is freak city, usa!
rec.bicycles.marketplace is full of retro, cheap grouches, and the one good part gets snapped up in seconds (good for seller, not buyer).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.