Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having issues on my home computer finding trails I have ridden on the mtbproject.com. Is anyone else have issues? Example I type in blankets creek in the top search and nothing shows up? WTF this is supposed to be one of the most used trail heads in north America. I could not find conyers, ga international horse park either.....that is the 1996 Olympic MTB trails. Maybe it is just me but the website seems terrible for searching....maybe it is better on a smart phone.

Just venting:madmax:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Is the Conyers Olympic course privately owned? I think someone from the area has to decide to add the trail, do the mapping and write-up. They may only have IMBA affiliated trails listed, since it is a partnership project.
Could also be that some trails have requested to NOT be listed, though I would doubt that.
Natehawk has been doing the Indiana trails, he may have some insight.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would not think it is privately owned.

Just hard to believe two major trails in the Atlanta area not listed. I do realize mtb project is less than a year old....its just that my local 4.7 mile trail on privately owned land is on the website and not these two trails.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,319 Posts
Someone has to put in the work to list the trails. The number of people adding trails to the site is pretty low. AFAIK, there are MAYBE 3-4 who have added anything in my state. And at least one of those people have only added a single trail.

They don't necessarily have to be IMBA trails (though IMBA has put an emphasis on getting IMBA Epic trails and other model trails listed there). The site DOES require that the land manager/owner be known and for the trails to be legal, of course. AFAIK, there is no limitation regarding privately owned facilities (there are a few in my state that I plan to add this year), but they did just add a feature that will allow land managers to register to be notified when trails are added to the site on their property.

It has only been fully live to the public for 6mo or so, so it's remarkable that it has as much content as it does. However, do not expect the coverage to be universal. Some parts of the country have very active contributors and some parts of the country do not. Some people who might contribute have decided that the site is not worth their time. Some people believe that adding map content is bad for their club, because the club sells maps of the area, and they feel that making digital maps available for free would eliminate a revenue source for their club.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you map a trail for mtb project? I assume you need something like a garmin 510? I do not have a GPS but I have a smart phone (iPhone 5c) on the way if that is any help. I would be curious how to add that trail. At this time I do not have the time to jump through the hoops. It would be good to know as others may want to expand the site. I think it is a great app.....for as much as I know about it at this time. To me strava is for training purposes and not for the out of towner or someone that wants to explore a trail IMO. I just want to ride and don't care to compare my times with anyone else.

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
How do you map a trail for mtb project? I assume you need something like a garmin 510? I do not have a GPS but I have a smart phone (iPhone 5c) on the way if that is any help. I would be curious how to add that trail. At this time I do not have the time to jump through the hoops. It would be good to know as others may want to expand the site. I think it is a great app.....for as much as I know about it at this time. To me strava is for training purposes and not for the out of towner or someone that wants to explore a trail IMO. I just want to ride and don't care to compare my times with anyone else.
https://www.imba.com/resources/maps/meet-mtbproject

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That seems like a very easy process. I would love to do that project but like I said my time will be very limited for the next couple months. I should also note I live about an hour and 45 min away from the conyers trail.

Thanks for the link. Maybe others will contribute knowing how easy it is.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,319 Posts
"Easy" is a relative term.

Process wise, yeah, it doesn't take much technical skill to do.

The challenging part is that trail and ride data is organized in a very specific way. You just can't go track your ride like you do for Strava, then upload it and expect to be done. Each trail segment (especially if each has a unique name, number, or color designation) needs a listing on the site. If your ride linked together multiple trail segments that are not in the database yet, you need to add them. Doing that on your phone is going to be a major PITA. It's easier to work with stuff like that on a real computer. They also require geotagged photos. Again, something you have to think about and consider. The best pics I've seen on the site are not just snapshots from a ride. They look at least semi-professional, and were at least taken by someone who specifically spent time on a particular trail for photography reasons. My best pictures were from when I dedicated a whole trip to a trail just to take pictures of the other people who were riding that day.

Also, mtbProject doesn't take just any old text for trail descriptions. They have reviewers that look each listing over and they will not approve it unless it's good enough. They spend more time reviewing listings from new submitters than they do for established folks. IME, it is more time consuming in some cases to get the text descriptions right, by providing additional information about lodging, food, beer,etc.

If you want to submit, it takes a commitment to do the whole job. I have already taken over one listing that was abandoned and incomplete in a neighboring state. It had already been abandoned and adopted maybe half a dozen times before I took it over and actually finished it. The person who started didn't really invest the time to get the listing done well and correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.