Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
What winter? We rode throughout the winter up here, pretty much most of the trails were rideable for most of the season.
By looking at SS, we were thinking that the official opening would be about that time.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I heard that they were not going to open any new trails this year due to a ridiculous technicality from the trail building last year, hopefully that is only a rumor.
Most of the trails that are not on the mountain( Snow Summit) are open and in excellent condition, so you don't have to wait until Easter to ride up here unless your only interested in lift serviced riding.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
That would be a bummer if they aren't going to open anything new. What they have open is fun for 1/2 day and then I start to get a little bored (when riding the lifts). The new Skyline Trail is awesome. We just need about 30 miles of that!! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
How technical are the Big Bear trails? I tried looking at some Youtube videos and they don't look very technical. But, videos/photos can be deceiving.

I used to regularly ride around Aliso Woods (Lynx, Rock-It, Stair Steps) on a 2001 Stumpjumper FSR and even older hard tail.

I assume the beginner/intermediate difficulty trails are suitable based on my bikes and what I'm accustomed to. How about the high difficulty trails?

Thanks in advance for insight on Big Bear trails. I'm looking forward to checking them out this summer.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Well, in MY opinion, the difficulty lies in how you ride them. I'm not saying a straight up beginner wouldn't be intimidated but then again, everything is rideable for an Intermediate for sure. You might not be hauling a$$ or clearing every table top but you should be able to ride top to bottom on any of the lift serviced trails w/o killing yourself.

Compared to some other trails I've SEEN but not ridden elsewhere, I'd say that the trails at SS on Intermediate for those guys with mad skills....and there's plenty of them up there so I'm moving out of the way at least once or twice per run.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,856 Posts
How technical are the Big Bear trails? I tried looking at some Youtube videos and they don't look very technical. But, videos/photos can be deceiving.

I used to regularly ride around Aliso Woods (Lynx, Rock-It, Stair Steps) on a 2001 Stumpjumper FSR and even older hard tail.

I assume the beginner/intermediate difficulty trails are suitable based on my bikes and what I'm accustomed to. How about the high difficulty trails?

Thanks in advance for insight on Big Bear trails. I'm looking forward to checking them out this summer.
You can roll or walk any obstacles that you are no comfortable with.

I am soooo stoked that they are opening so early this year!!!!

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
I heard that they were not going to open any new trails this year due to a ridiculous technicality from the trail building last year, hopefully that is only a rumor.
This was posted and pretty much supports that rumor/remark...

Snow Summit Bike Park, Moving Forward, whats new for 2014

Snow Summit Bike Park worked with Gravity Logic and laid out a proposed map of new trails to be built in the park. Wade stated that Snow Summit “had a full master plan, but had to take a full step back” because of important Environmental Studies requested by the Forest Service.

The best we can hope for this year is one beginner trail according to the article. Bummer

·
IPA tester
1,318 Posts
Regulations and delays will put it close to BK if they can't make some money. The snow never came so they need the bike park to hold them over.
If they open early I hope everyone will support them and the community

Show them that MTB's are great for our local economy :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Its one of those "catch 22's" a ski resort needs to have a good skier(or boarder) turn out to make money to continue with building for summer activities, but in a winter season like we had, that didn't happen, so you hope that they gather up enough funds( and permission from the forestry) to build more trails and get big numbers to hopefully one day help support their winter activites. I know Whistler has had more bike days than skier days, the last few years, don't think SS could even dream of that, but SS has the biggest population pool to pull from of any place in the world, if they could only get full support from the Forestry and the riders, SS and Big Bear could be even more of an incredible place to ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts