Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone mountain bike the ATV trail system west of Sedalia/ rampart range/ devils head area? It is a really cool area, especially now with the roads closed it is nice and quiet. In the summer however, I bet it is crawling with dirt bikes and 4 wheelers? I have hiked some of the trails this winter, and they seem like they are great MTB trails, and they go for 100 miles I hear.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am new to the area.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Don't do it!!! Unless you want to get run over by a bunch of morons on quads with their kids riding on the front, none of them with helmets by the way.
I will probably catch some static for dissing on quads but i don't care. I consider myself decent on a motocross bike and i am always nervous riding that trail system, so many people out there not paying attention and it gets so crowded! The stuff i have always ridden there is one way trail system.
If i was able to ride there during the week it might be different but.....

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspected that the crowds of motorized vehicles would be a problem. Just the thought of a 4 wheeler potentially blasting around a blind corner could wreck your experience. Right now trails are snow covered and there aren't many people up there, and it has been a nice place for me to hike and let my dog run loose. I guess it would be nice for mountain biking, if I was the only one who knew about it. :)

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
ATV and dirt bike trails tend to be pretty chewed up and although I haven't ridden those trails, that's the report I've gotten back from some friends who live in the area and have experience with that trail system.

·
drinks from the fountain
391 Posts
It's been a while since I've done it but I thought it was fun. On some of the whooped out sections you can double some of the whoops.(moto speak)And you can race your buddy side by side. Do it on a weekday!

·
Registered
480 Posts
A word of caution

I grew up here and rode Rampart with my dad for years. With the closure of more and more ohv trails and the influx of folks to Colorado in the 90's...thing have become fairly crowded at Rampart. As a consequence there have been several fatal accidents and many near fatal serious collisions down there. Personally I can't understand why they still run all the trails as multi-directional. I know a lot of people, myself included that have written to the Rampart Range Moto Mgmt Committee concerning this but we never hear back. With the shortage of ohv areas around I would think they would want to make Rampart a model of safe ohv land use. Plus, what's a life worth? I just don't quite get their adversion to single directional trails. On the RRMMC website they state some reasons as to why they won't adopt this but I personally don't think those reasons stand up very well against potentially saving a life.

Anyway, in addition to this issue and the extemely loose and sandy soil, Rampart is not a great mtb spot at all. In light of what I have stated above, if you do go for either mtb or moto you would be wise to go on a weekday. As it is the entire area may be shut down for snow/winter now as it is. Check out the RRMMC website to make sure.

Has anyone else heard of or had bad experiences at Rampart?

·
simple
665 Posts
I've had more good experiences at Rampart than bad. I've even had a brutal head on with a dude. It happens on tight single track, but I'll keep going back for more since singletrack that is open to motos is rare in the front range. I ride responsibly and on trails that have much less traffic on them.

I agree it is pointless to go mtb on those trails as there are better trails just down the road. I'm not convinced on the one-way aspect, even if it saves "a life". Accidents can happen to anyone on a moto as it is an inherently dangerous activity.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Rampart Range ATV trails were closed to motorized vehicles this weekend due to muddy conditions, but they weren't muddy. I used the opportunity to take a nice ride on one of the trails leaving from the big parking area at the hwy 67 / Rampart range road intersection. Really nice fast rolling track, with absolutely no one out there and no obnoxious ATV noise.
It might be opened up again by next weekend, but if not, it might be worth a visit.
It's probably pretty nice on week days as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.