Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
noob
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been MTB'ing recreationally for awhile but never raced. My bike is relatively "old", 2006 Gary Fisher Piranha. It's a hard tail w/ Rock Shox Tora 85-130mm fork. I ride it hard and honestly it's probably not enough bike for me because I really punish it on the drops, jumps and sometimes unavoidable crashes.

Is it normal for people to show up at a MTB race with sneakers, flat pedals and a relatively low-end bike? I don't mean to be competitve. In fact, depending on how much I enjoy myself, I'm fairly certain it's time for a legit FS XC bike...

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Show up and race Cat 3 in your sneakers and flat pedals. It is not that common, but who cares?

Get some!

Upgrade later.

+ your bike is a 2007, not 2006. Says so in your signature. ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Definitely do it, have fun, and don't worry about what is common. Just don't try to get in front. ;)

You could be like a buddy of mine when he started racing. He showed up to his first race wearing a cotton t-shirt and a few racers mocked him for it...and he continued to wear cotton t-shirts to races. It was great because he was a really strong rider.

·
noob
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha yes, '07 good catch. Cool. Guess I'll give it a shot. I found a local series called over the hump. They even have a womens/kids division. Should be a good time.

I'll wear my regular moisture wicking tees and lightweight cargos I normally bike in.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
I have raced the Over the Hump at Irvine lake. It is a pretty fast course with lots of room for passing (or getting passed).

See if you can get out there to pre-ride some time. It will help you know what to expect regarding the course itself. You can plan for hills or descents. Also, it gets super dusty fwiw..

·
Registered
589 Posts
Raced my first race in flats. It didn't make it any less fun for me. Go out and have a good time!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
I wore a fanny pack for my first race. It was the 80's though.. ") Cotton t-shirt too. Shirt said "Life's a Beach". Go figure.

·
Registered
425 Posts
yeah, just race and have fun, especially for your first ones. There are obviously advantages to a full "kit," especially in longer XC races (i sweat so much if i wore baggies they'd weigh a ton, and plus i hate getting anything caught on my saddle in general, as baggies can big time), but by all means it's not mandatory! I'm thinking right now of that pro XC racer that sometimes races (and wins) in baggies. Name is escaping me.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Hi all,

I've been MTB'ing recreationally for awhile but never raced. My bike is relatively "old", 2006 Gary Fisher Piranha. It's a hard tail w/ Rock Shox Tora 85-130mm fork...

Is it normal for people to show up at a MTB race with sneakers, flat pedals and a relatively low-end bike? I don't mean to be competitve. In fact, depending on how much I enjoy myself, I'm fairly certain it's time for a legit FS XC bike...
I have been doing a few races here and there on my 2003 KHS 26" hardtail. In fact I am one of few guys still on V-brakes, but I do have clipless pedals. Anyway I ride and have fun and ride at Cat 3 to Cat 2 pace. I tend to perfer at least 2 hr races so ride Cat 2, sport or whatever I think will be fun race. I don't win, but I don't care. I have fun out there and ride and I finish right were my skills and fitness take me. Bike is non factor really.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
yeah, just race and have fun, especially for your first ones. There are obviously advantages to a full "kit," especially in longer XC races (i sweat so much if i wore baggies they'd weigh a ton, and plus i hate getting anything caught on my saddle in general, as baggies can big time), but by all means it's not mandatory! I'm thinking right now of that pro XC racer that sometimes races (and wins) in baggies. Name is escaping me.
Marco Fontana (Cannondale)

·
Registered
129 Posts
DO IT! Raced my first race last fall in DC skater shoes, flats, no water, t-shirt, and cargo shorts.....had a blast......and am now equipped with better equipment for this season.

Enjoy it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts