Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my wifes cliets gave her a puppy late last summer and she accepted it without talking to me "typical".Me being the active person that i am and working only part-time new that the responsibility of caring for the dog would be mine.My wife said that the dog will love to go camping and mtnbiking and make a great companion.
I just started taking the dog biking a month ago and today went on a long ride thinking i would have to stop and wait for the Whole duration of the trail,boy was i wrong,this 4-legged mass of stamina waited on me.
After some research,i realized she could'nt have picked a better dog,this border collie did a 10mi loop without stopping and never left my site.
I know little about dogs and was wondering is this just a characteristic of border collies or does most dogs have this kind of stamina.
Anyway my wife was right,i really do enjoy riding with him.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bird said:
After some research,i realized she could'nt have picked a better dog,this border collie did a 10mi loop without stopping and never left my site.
I know little about dogs and was wondering is this just a characteristic of border collies or does most dogs have this kind of stamina.
Anyway my wife was right,i really do enjoy riding with him.
Some dogs have good stamina but a border collie has the energy of Richard Simmons on crystal meth. You have found one of the few activities that can actually tire out a border collie, enjoy getting in really good shape :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
It's a herding dog, it's ment to run around all day but not just wonder off.

It has a task to stay close to the herd and always be one step ahead of the herd.

Today, you were that herd.

I'm so jealous of you right now.
I don't have a dog yet and I'm afraid even if I get a good breed like you did it's not going to turn out.
I'm a decent person but I seem to have the worst luck out of any person I know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ever see those crazy dog competitions on tv with the ramps, gates, tubes, etc...
Yeah well the border collies just destroy that! I like the comment about Richard simmons... I would suggest trying to train him to stay within your site - you wouldn't want him to end up crossing a road!

p.s. my father has a german shorthair pointer and I can run him for hours (I kid you not) on an ATV and he will actually race me across a field and almost win!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I took my Lab out for a cruise around the neighborhood (she is very well trained, never left my side) and she was just kinda trotting most of the time. The only time I can get her to run hard is with out of the saddle sprints, and she can keep the speed up a lot longer than me.

I haven't taken her MTBiking yet since all the trails around here are strictly posted "no dogs off leash". I see some people taking thier dogs off leash, but I was raised to obey rules. Maybe I can find an old fire road or power line cut where there won't be anyone else.

Az

·
Registered
478 Posts
Bird, good thing your wife was "typical"! Sounds like your border collie and you both enjoyed the ride. You should post a photo of the dog with you on the ride sometime. -GT2005 :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.