Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you have a dog? Do you take them with you?

• Have one dog that does not go to the trail with me.

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Have two or more dogs that do not go to the trail with me.

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Have one dog that goes to the trail with me.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Have two or more dogs that go to the trail with me.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Do not have a dog.

Votes: 31 28.2%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right who's got em'? There seems to be a connection between MTB riders and dogs. Most seem to at least have one. What's your story? One dog or two, do they go to the trail with you or sit at home with bows in the hair?

Make your selection, cure my curiosity.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My dogs are for hunting but they also need to burn off excess energy. I do take my dogs with me sometimes. If I am riding a high traffic trail, or riding on the weekend they stay at home and I exercise them at a training facility. If I am riding on a weekday, or going to a trail that I know sees little traffic then I will bring them along.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Have a mixed pup I found abandoned just over 8 weeks ago, not a permanent trail companion yet but looking very promising. Guess it'll all really be dependant on how much bigger he grows and if/how I can transport him to the trails further away, since I don't own a car. If he doesn't get too big he can go backpack, if not I don't think he could handle a 20+ mile ride/run.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
My male border collie is well trained veteran trail dog with an enormous amount of stamina.
He gets irritated when i stop to take a break and does 20+ mile rides with ease.
He stays 10 yards in front of me at all times and increases his speed as i do.
We also night ride together.

I do have to use common sense in the heat of summer as he will not stop on his own so i have to stop at streams to let him drink and he'll actually lays down in the deeper pools to cool off.

He ignores other trail user's but fortunately where i live and ride its quite rural and i rarely see anyone.
His one flaw is,he will leave the trail to tree a bear if i let him but he's so much faster that it happens within 100yrds so i get to witness it.

He has surely brought alot of enjoyment to my riding.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Leave your dog at home. Can't count the number of times I've had to skid or go off the trail to avoid someones dog. You ***** about second hand smoke, but second hand dog is fine? This is from someone who likes dogs better than people.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Anonymous said:
Leave your dog at home. Can't count the number of times I've had to skid or go off the trail to avoid someones dog. You ***** about second hand smoke, but second hand dog is fine? This is from someone who likes dogs better than people.
Amen to that. they get in they way,can't keep up,run off,chase deer .

·
Registered
15 Posts
2 Dogs well trained, love trail riding.
Never had issues with riders who ride out of control and are always "having to skid on trails" to avoid obstacles... I wonder how they deal with other riders/walkers on the trail ? 4 legs.. 2 wheels...2 legs... if its on the trail and in your way... well I suppose its on the trail and in your way.

·
Hoosier
442 Posts
Dogs are way too expensive for college, learned that the hard way last year. At home the family has an australian shepherd/malamute and a great pyrenees. I only get to see them a few months out of the year but they're still my babies. I would definitely like a trail dog in the future, though.

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
Anonymous said:
I've had A LOT more humans get in my way on the trails. I'd really prefer it if everyone and everything would just stay out of my way, but that's just not how it is. You've got to learn to share the trails and let people enjoy them as they will ... within reason. Some seem to enjoy the trails with their dogs. That seems reasonable to me. When I see a dog, I expect a little unpredictable behavior and ride accordingly, just as I would any other obstacle.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.