Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trek 6500 and want to be trail/XC ready when the time comes, but most of my riding will be on the road. My friends and I have some freindly competition road races (not really long ones) and I am not above getting a competitive edge via components. I am a "retired" powerlifter so while trying to cut down on wheel weight and promote rolling efficiency, something that can handle 250 lbs and a pretty powerful stroke is necessary. I was thinking of gettting another wheelset and cassette for road speed and switching back and forth between it and the MTB components. Willing to spend money, but am interested in your opinions on how much advantage certain things will make. I am looking at custom sets from SpeedDream and Oddsandendos, or perhaps a handbuilt set from Jenson. Trek says my wheel/hub set is 1750 grams, but I imagine it is higher. I am very green and would like any advice on this you veterans can give.
-Is it worth it to get the handbuilt, custom sets?
-Preferences on DT 240, King, or Hope hubs?
-Perhaps even putting a 700c road tire and wheelset on there?
-Reccomendations on light rubber?
-Any other speed tips?
Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
17 Posts
Some options

If I were you I would get a good set of hand built rims for off road use and put a panaracer fire on the back for traction and a slick or semi slick on the front.

On the wheelset you have now, I'd put a good set of narrow slicks on. Nothing wider than a 1.8, but as narrow as a 1.0. That would really cut down on rolling resistance, and perhaps more importantly, wind resistance.

I hope that helps!

By the way, I just bought some SpeedDreams myself. Can't wait to recieve them!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx

Thank you guys. Shiggy, I notice your name a lot on these threads. The help is appreciated and I'll look you up whenever I buy my rubber. I have noticed the Maxxis Maxxlite 310 only weighs 310g (probably why it's called the 310:thumbsup: ). That is half of my current semi-slick. Could go down even more if I went with the 700c. Do you carry the Maxxis? Or perhaps you recommend something else. Anyway, I've got some thinking to do. As I said, I am green, and I also need to study more on the drivetrain. I am already geared out on practically any downhill slope. Lighter rotation will be worthless unless I upgrade there also. If anyone has advice here also, I would appreciate it. Again Thanx

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I do not sell tires or much of anything else. Just provide info.

The Maxxlite is an XC race tire. Would not last long if used on the road.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
By the time you build a nice set of road wheels for your mountain bike, you can buy a better performing middle of the road road bike. Then, you don't have to rebuild your bike to ride road or mountain.

With that said, I have a special wheel and tire I use on my mountain bike for the trainer and road. It is just an XT hub and decent mavic rim. Since it is for training, I didn't do anything to make it light. I'll put that money into good mountain bike parts. The tire is a specialized 1.25" slick that is good for 110 psi. It feels great on the road.

Issue you'll likely run into:
* your derailer will likely have to be adjusted each time you change wheels.
* your breaks whatever kind, will likely have to be adjusted for each wheel change
* if you use different gearing for the road rear wheel, your chain length will not be correct for both wheels. You could pretty easily use a SRAM with quick link and have one for each length

In the end, you're better off with a road bike.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
AlliKat said:
In the end, you're better off with a road bike.
I agree w/ AlliKat. If you're willing to throw down the cash for the nice handbuilt wheels that you mention, I'd buy a used road bike...
Otherwise, get a budget mtn wheelset & throw some slicks on there & use a mtn cassette w/ 11t smallest cog, so you don't have to adjust things all the time.

Also, you will have to adjust the brakes when switching wheels, unless they're built up identically.

You didn't respond to Shiggy's comment about 700c wheels vs 26" on a mtn bike. You can't go this route unless you've got disc brakes... at least not easily.

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
logbiter said:
... use a mtn cassette w/ 11t smallest cog, so you don't have to adjust things all the time.
How many teeth are on the big ring on your cranks? The 'standard' is for the largest to have 44t. When I purchased my RaceFace cranks, I got a 46t big ring, and I have seen some older XTR's with 48t. The downside for MTB is that most (all?) FD have a max of range of 22 between the small and big rings (i.e., if your large ring has 44t, than the smallest will have 22t). I wanted the larger big ring as I travel on the road some getting to & from where I bike, and will ride my MTB on some nearby bike paths during the winter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
journey said:
How many teeth are on the big ring on your cranks? The 'standard' is for the largest to have 44t. When I purchased my RaceFace cranks, I got a 46t big ring, and I have seen some older XTR's with 48t. The downside for MTB is that most (all?) FD have a max of range of 22 between the small and big rings (i.e., if your large ring has 44t, than the smallest will have 22t). I wanted the larger big ring as I travel on the road some getting to & from where I bike, and will ride my MTB on some nearby bike paths during the winter.
I still have the Shimano crank that came on it 44/32/22 and SRAM PG950 cassette 11-34 9sp.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
doriandk said:
I will put disc brakes on at the same time, but thank you, I did not realize that.
Now you really may be looking at a big expense.
  1. You need to make sure your frame and fork have disc mounts
  2. Are your mtb wheels disc ready? Do they have disc hubs?

If not it will be cheaper to buy a road bike and keep your 6500 as is.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
If you are going to spend, $450-700 on wheels, get a nice used roadie or buy a decent enrty level roadie for $600-800

otherwise, get you self a set of 700c Disc Cross Wheels or you you say with v0brakes and factory built set for $250-300 and 26" 1.0 slicks.

You you go Disc the FSA RD-460 are nice and aorund $400

Nice wheels are a waste of money for that purpose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shiggy said:
Now you really may be looking at a big expense.
  1. You need to make sure your frame and fork have disc mounts
  2. Are your mtb wheels disc ready? Do they have disc hubs?

If not it will be cheaper to buy a road bike and keep your 6500 as is.
Yes, it's ready. All I need is the brakes. I am considering, however, the road bike thing. I don't know yet.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Buy the time you buy brakes and wheels, get a decent roadie. You will be more comfortable on longer rides and faster because of the 700C wheels are larger front chainrings (53-50T big rings).

After 4 65-100 mile rides on a MTB with slicks, I have leraned my lesson.

For $650 -1100 you can get a decen TREK, GIANT, Specialized or Jamis among other brands as well.
or even a K2 or Fuji.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Just get a road bike. It'll be way more fun, way faster, and way more comfortable than your MTB on the road, regardless of what modifications you make to your current bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hardtails Are Better said:
Just get a road bike. It'll be way more fun, way faster, and way more comfortable than your MTB on the road, regardless of what modifications you make to your current bike.
I think you guys have talked me into it. Second bike it is. Thanks to all for the input.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Get the 700c wheels!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I ride a SP Epic and use it for the road and for trail riding. I only road bike to be a better mountain biker and my thought was this, I want to be on the same bike all the time so my body can conform to it and still be able to get the road bike miles in. I live in big bear Ca so I ride tons of hills and love the fact that all I have to do is change my tires if I want to road bike or mountain bike and my body is in it same power and comfort zone the whole time I run a 23 on my road mavic speed city rims is what i use on my epic. I also use a skareb 100mm with the IT adjustment on it so i can go from 100mm to 0 mm with a button. Hit me with a PM if u have any questions i will be happy to help out I love mine sold my mountain bike soon as i got them and havent looked back at all.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Get the 700c wheels!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I ride a SP Epic and use it for the road and for trail riding. I only road bike to be a better mountain biker and my thought was this, I want to be on the same bike all the time so my body can conform to it and still be able to get the road bike miles in. I live in big bear Ca so I ride tons of hills and love the fact that all I have to do is change my tires if I want to road bike or mountain bike and my body is in it same power and comfort zone the whole time I run a 23 on my road mavic speed city rims is what i use on my epic. I also use a skareb 100mm with the IT adjustment on it so i can go from 100mm to 0 mm with a button. Hit me with a PM if u have any questions i will be happy to help out I love mine sold my mountain bike soon as i got them and havent looked back at all.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts