Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to do a 12 day trip in July or August from central Texas to Colorado. A few on our list that have been recommended are Breckenridge and Winter Park. We went to Whistler two years ago and love everything about it.

I’ll be coming in a 32’ RV with my wife and two dogs. We are looking for a nice place that has RV hook ups and an easy bike ride to trails that we can ride over our days there. We are Cat 1 & 2 Texas racers looking for good XC single-track not necessarily bike park downhill stuff, but good challenging XC. I’d also like to be close to shops, restaurants and etc. What we really liked about Whistler was the atmosphere, food, shops all within walking distance and trails were a short ride from the room with lots of trails.

We ride Specialized Epic’s or Stumpy HT’s and would rather not hit stuff too big for a 95-100mm travel bike. We rode our Epic’s in Whistler, but would not choose to do that again. I’d also like to be close to area bike shops and be able to get a guide for a day or so to show us around the trails. I’ve also considered going to Breckenridge in July and pre-riding some of the Breck Epic trails to see if I want to return and race it. But this needs to be more of a vacation.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Personally, I would probably head to Durango or Telluride. The riding there is amazing that time of year, and both fit the bill for lots of miles of great XC trails. It's not that Breck or WP don't have that, but they are both busier with front range visitors from Denver (of which I'm one). Plus, if you're feeling a little lazy, Telluride has the free gondola.

As far as towns and evening activities, I think both towns I mentioned are more interesting and have more character. Just one guys opinion.

·
Agent of tang
1,141 Posts
From what you describe, I would do a Durango area/Crested Butte area trip. Breck area and Winter Park are good with lots of xc, but not as epic.

FWIW, if you haven't ridden out here, be prepared for the CO version of xc. Still tons of long climbs and long (and occasionally gnarly) downhills. Most people here ride at least 5" bikes (but you'll be fine on what you have).

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
As far as Breckenridge goes for RVs Tiger Run RV park has all the normal RV stuff and the Colorado trail literally runs right through it and is a short ride from many miles of other trails. You can literally do hundreds of miles of singletrack and jeep roads right from the place. Some of the FS campgrounds around Lake Dillon also have full hook ups (not sure about sewer dump) and are very close to trails but don't have the RV park amenities like showers that Tiger Run has.

The other places mentioned and many more are all great places and have great riding, but I couldn't tell you where the best places to park an RV are.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Breckenridge is an AWESOME town, blows the doors off even Whistler if you ask me *but* for what you're after, go to Durango. It's a great town with a lot of variety and tons of XC trails. If you weren't after the XC stuff, I'd say go to Breck and then Winter Park. From Durango, you can also do day trips over to Phil's World in Cortez...the #1 rated riding area in the entire US of A on MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.