Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here. I'm leaning toward buying a new bike, but I don't really know anything about bikes. ( I am 5-11/6-0 [When I'm feeling tall] and weigh ~230 lbs)

Right now I'm riding a 2009 Trek 4300. It's a 3x8 11-32, Shimano CF050 & Alivio derailleurs, RST Gila 120mm front shock, Tektro v brakes or whatever they're called, and 26x2.0 Bontrager Connection Trail tires. It probably needs a bit more of a tune up than the one I just paid for, but all in all it runs fairly well. Shifts 'good', fairly smooth, rough every now and then, but it still works very well. I don't do very technical riding, easy trails, that's about it. I'm more interested in exploring XC than I am doing crazy downhills and stuff like that.

I want to upgrade to a 1x drivetrain. I sourced parts for a microShift 1x10 AdventX, and with parts and install costs i'm probably looking at $350-$450. I started looking at new bikes and I'm starting to think dumping $450 into an almost 12 year old bike isn't a good allocation of money.

I'm looking at the Polygon Xtrada 6 and 7. I was hoping to stay around the Trek Marlin 6 price range, but Treks seems to be unobtainium and the Shimano Deore components on the Polygons seem like an added benefit. My inclination is to buy the Xtrada 6, but why not spend another $200 for the air fork and 1x12 Deore on the 7? $900 and $1100, respectively, (for me) is a good piece for a bike. Would a Polygon Xtrada 7 be a good buy?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Strictly speaking about the 6 vs 7, yes its a much better buy for $200 more. The air fork and thru-axles, are worth that alone. I don't know if 1x12 vs 1x11 is enough to get giddy about, but microspline is a slightly better standard.

So is it worth the cost of $450 to dump into a bike that is that old, vs buying new? No not really for your wants.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I agree with @NorCal_In_AZ. At the price point you are considering, I would also take a look at the Vitus offerings (Nucleus, Rapide, Sentier) from Chain Reaction Cycles. Trouble with anything from all brands (especially in your price range) is going to be availability.

Now is also the best time in years to sell your Trek 4300. The used market is still pretty hot and you can probably find someone willing to take it off your hands for a couple hundred bucks if it is in good working order. That should help offset the cost of a new bike purchase.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with @NorCal_In_AZ. Now is also the best time in years to sell your Trek 4300. The used market is still pretty hot and you can probably find someone willing to take it off your hands for a couple hundred bucks if it is in good working order. That should help offset the cost of a new bike purchase.
I really want to be around $800 or less, but I really want a 1x. The more I think about it the Xtrada 6 makes more sense. I don't have a shock pump and does the air shock and 12 speed Deore outshine the 6 enough for me? I'm not sure I know how to find an answer to that question- it's subjective.
Would '$400 obo' be too high for a good condition 4300? Seems like used items are going for premium money right now and I really don't know what the bike is worth.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I really want to be around $800 or less, but I really want a 1x. The more I think about it the Xtrada 6 makes more sense. I don't have a shock pump and does the air shock and 12 speed Deore outshine the 6 enough for me? I'm not sure I know how to find an answer to that question- it's subjective.
Yes. Cheap heavy coil forks on lower cost bikes are one of the worst components on the bike. With a coil, by design they only work well for a specific rider weight range. (You can almost bet your 230 lbs doesn't hit that range.) With an air fork even if the damper isn't the best, you can set the air pressure to properly support your weight.

Along with the change in fork and drivetrain, it seems the other significant difference between the 6 and 7 is the use of 15x100 and 12x148 hub spacing. If I were in your shoes, I would spend the extra $200. ($230 with the shock pump. ;) )

Would '$400 obo' be too high for a good condition 4300? Seems like used items are going for premium money right now and I really don't know what the bike is worth.
I think at $400 obo that bike will probably sit for a while. Even in this market. You could try listing for $250, but I think it will move quickly at $200. I would wait to list it until after you've received your new bike.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just put Advent 1x on two different 1998 FSRs. All the tools necessary can be had in a plastic molded kit for $30 shipped. After that a couple videos to up your knowledge and you're off to the races to upgrade. The problem is your fork. These are super expensive at the moment, because the high cost of new / availability is really driving the secondary market.

The question is, will a $1000 HT be all that much better than your current bike? Or are you just getting the same compromises again, but at a higher floor?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I just put Advent 1x on two different 1998 FSRs. All the tools necessary can be had in a plastic molded kit for $30 shipped. After that a couple videos to up your knowledge and you're off to the races to upgrade. The problem is your fork. These are super expensive at the moment, because the high cost of new / availability is really driving the secondary market.

The question is, will a $1000 HT be all that much better than your current bike? Or are you just getting the same compromises again, but at a higher floor?
Yes. The simple answer to your question is yes. :D

While I do agree that allocating a larger budget could get the OP a much better bike, something like the Xtrada7 will be a much more capable than his 12 year old Trek. Even if he were to throw several hundred dollars into upgrades. That bike when new was a lower end model that retailed for $480 (about $600 today) and it had low spec components to match. There is simply no comparing that bikes components to today's Deore 1x drivetrains and hydraulic disc brakes.

Even if he were to match the level of components with upgrades on the old Trek, it is still an outdated 26er with less than stellar geometry. Is it good enough to get out on the trails with? Absolutely, and I would encourage the OP to do so. But if he plans to get more into riding a new, modern bike with decent components will be a great investment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can someone explain why my drivetrain will delay the shift on the cassette sporadically? Typically happens when I shift from 6-7 with the front on 3. I’ll be riding on 2x6, switch to 3x6 and then shift to 3x7. Am I doing something wrong, or is it mechanical? Best way to describe what I’m experiencing is the drivetrain gets caught for a second and then lurches back into motion.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,118 Posts
I decided to pull the trigger on the Xtrada 7. Do any of you keep your older bike around as a back-up in case your primary bike is being serviced?
I have. Also for different purposes (I've pressed previous hardtails into town/commute duty before).

It's rare these days for my primary bike (my mtb) to be down for an extended period for service, as I've learned how to take care of it. Bigger jobs like suspension work I try to time out to a period when I won't be riding as much, so I won't miss not being able to ride for a week or two. But even if I do want to get out, I have my road/gravel bike I can pull out.

Whether you want to do that is up to you. But realize if you decide to sell your older bike later, you're unlikely to be able to get as much for it as you could now.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I decided to pull the trigger on the Xtrada 7. Do any of you keep your older bike around as a back-up in case your primary bike is being serviced?
I used to keep my 20 year old rockhopper around as a backup but ran out of room in the garage so I sold it. If you have room and you don't hate your trek, you might consider keeping it for friends or family or as a backup.

Reactions: ocnLogan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The return on it right now is tempting for sure. Is keeping it as a back up worth losing out on the $250 I might get if I sell it? If I could get $350 that would probably be worth it. Subjective question.
I might throw some road/gravel tires on it and turn it into a flat pedal pavement bike for riding with the kids.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,118 Posts
The return on it right now is tempting for sure. Is keeping it as a back up worth losing out on the $250 I might get if I sell it? If I could get $350 that would probably be worth it. Subjective question.
I might throw some road/gravel tires on it and turn it into a flat pedal pavement bike for riding with the kids.
it's hard to say what you could get for it now. prices are probably already dropping on used bikes, so I think yours will have to be in great shape to be able to get a price at the high end of the scale. you could always try and if nobody is willing to pay what you'd like to get for it, then just take it off the market and keep it to ride with the kids.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just did exactly the same thing. I had an old Diamondback and upgraded to a new Giant. I kept my old one bc I don't need the money for it and I have space for it. If your situation is similar, then keep it. If either of those situations are different for you, then sell it.

·
MTBR Noober
21 Posts
Great choice on the Xtrada 7. I ride an Xtrada 6 myself for my local trails. I do have an older Trek Marlin 6 that I use as a back up.

Just make sure to double check all the hardware on the bike and any final adjustments to brakes/shifting. I found my crank and stem hardware were loose and had to retorque them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.