Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few friends and I from Wisconsin are looking for mountain bike trip ideas in southern MIssouri. We're mostly looking for good single track/technical riding, within riding distance of cabin or camping sites, preferably with showering facilities. The bigger the hills the better. We plan on arriving late May to early June.

Any ideas/websites would be greatly appreciated.

·
DIRTYAMERICAN
334 Posts
Judging by the comments you made I'm thinking that when you say technical you mean "uphill".

I still don't get why riding uphill is known as technical riding. Riding uphill is all in the lungs and legs. Either you pedal to the top or you don't.

OR if you want technical stuff, drops, hips, jumps, skinnies, transfers, step ups, step downs, elevated stunts...then to ride to the trail and back on a bike that can handle all that must take a lot of energy which equals not only a talented rider but a fit one at that!

No ideas on where to ride down there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
ZenBoy Listen UP!!!!!

I am Kforum, born and raised in Missouri.

First Check out this webpage and the trail maps
http://www.gorctrails.com/

Second.
What are you riding and how fit are you. Are you on vacation? Or are you hardcore? How Long do you have?

If you want to ride, have fun, and night life, this what I would do?

First drive to Saint Louis Missouri, in morning/or around noon

Ride Castle wood State Park? I recommend the Cedars"blue ribbon loop" counterclockwise, the lonewolf -- one way trail --, and the Gorpetter.

Then drive to Klondike Park in Saint Charles. on the way there ride Madison Hill short trail it is on the way. Camp at Klondike. (i believe it has a shower house)

Night life. From Klondike you can ride your bikes to Augusta MO. it has two winerys and brewery. There are other wineries/ restrauntes in small towns off of 94.

DAY 2 Ride Klondike Pack up and head to either the Berryman or Council Bluff.
The Berryman is the crown jewel of missouri mountain biking it has a little bit of everything. If you are fit you ride the 24 miles under 5 hours with breaks. If you are not fit it will take you all day. If you are fat it will take you 2 days. Day 3 ride.

Berryman area does not have showers. Council bluff I believe has showers. no night life either place.

Day 4 head to Cape Girardeau Missouri (your real goal is to head to head to Carbondale illinois) do a super quick ride on Southeast Missouri State Unversity CAMPUS (20 minutes) There are a bunch of terraces you can jump. eat a early lunch down town cape.

Head to the Grapvine trail. This trail has a 2-3 mile down hill, so you must ride the right direction. it is also a fast ride.

Then proceed to Carbondale Illinois and ride the CEDAR LAKE. camp at GAint City. (showers available) Cedar lake is super cool. a must ride!

Then head back.

Contact GORC for St. Louis riding and The berryman

Get with me on Cape/carbondale rides.

Good luck.

Kforum

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: SW missouri rides

I would say Berryman and Council Bluff would be the top places for people to visit.
I also think the section of the Ozark Trail between Berryman and Council Bluff is a lot of fun and a good way to find more singletrack in the area.

Council Bluff does have shows at the beach but not at the campground.

I've stayed at Bass River resort quite a few times and it close to the Berryman. You can ride 8 miles on gravel rode and get to the Berryman that way. Nice cabins but kind of crazy on the weekends with all the floaters.

Also one of my favorite trails to ride in that area you can ride right form Bass Resort or Ozark Outdoors (on the other side of the trail). It's the first section of the Ozark Trail in the Huzzah conservation area. It's got lots of hills some sweet singletrack, roads and some double track and one very cool section along the river. It's got one river crossing but not that big of a deal. I don't think too many people ride it but they should!! You will need a map at some good nav skills but most of trail is easy to find. You can get a map from the Forest Service.

Bender Lake in Jefferson City is also a little gem of trail.

http://www.ozarktrail.com/trail.htm
http://www.bassresort.com/bassresort/

·
Registered
75 Posts
the saying around St. Louis is, wait a day and the weather will change. I would say that normally we will get substainal rain (rarely snow) during march and early april.

I would be prepared for any kind of weather/temp. I would watch the weather, and maybe have some trails picked out in a couple parts of the state - - incase.

Get with the gorc guys, so of those guys might want to organise rides with you.

·
no fat chicks
774 Posts
forget about berryman
it is no longer the mecca that it once was
years of abusive horse traffic are degrading the trail rapidly

council bluffs/north trace/middle fork is the new mecca
you have three days of riding right there, with showers and camping available on the cheep
and you probably won't see any horses out there stomping the edges off the trail, since they are not allowed at council bluffs lake

·
Wolf nipple chips
504 Posts
iliketoridebikes said:
forget about berryman
it is no longer the mecca that it once was
years of abusive horse traffic are degrading the trail rapidly

council bluffs/north trace/middle fork is the new mecca
you have three days of riding right there, with showers and camping available on the cheep
and you probably won't see any horses out there stomping the edges off the trail, since they are not allowed at council bluffs lake
I agree 100%. Berryman isn't quite the best. Not bad riding, but I would recommend in the same area Council Bluff, (North) Trace Creek, Middlefork. They are ALL connected! There is so much riding in that area that you may not even have enough time to do it all, and there is plenty of hills. Council Bluff isn't the hilliest (it encirlces a lake, so *mostly* short, steep ups and downs) but you'll get plenty of enjoyment. Council Bluff does have showers at the beach, and by may/june, they should be open.

I second the gorctrails.com website - it has all the best trails in the area cataloged.

My picks:
-Council Bluff - 12-13 miles, loop
-North Trace - 25 miles (i think), out and back
-Middlefork - 25 miles, out and back
-Binder Lake (Jefferson City)- 13 miles, big loop with bail-outs that make for shorter loops
-Rock Bridge (Columbia) - 15 miles (?) of intertwining loops
-Honey Run/Four Winds/Bittersweet (Osage Beach) - 3 separate trails, all looped, stop by Oz Cycles for info, it's worth the stop

-if you want hilly and technical and don't mind a stop in St. Louis, do the Chubb Trail, then do it again, and then again. 7 miles one way.

My $.02

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
Yep Berryman is spent, don't waste your time on it..........stick with council bluff, north trace, and middle fork. There is another trail around this same area that is one of the best in the state in my opinion however it's private. Talk to the right people though and you might get an invite.

·
Registered
705 Posts
As others have said, Council Bluffs loop is nice. It's really out in the middle of nowhere, kind of like some of the CAMBA trails if you've ever ridden up there. I lived in STL for about 1 1/2 years, so I was able to sample what the area had to offer.

I would also recommend Castlewood, and Chubb. Both are in the metro area of STL, but out in the burbs, so it is not like urban MTB by any means. Chubb is probably the most technical trail I've ridden due to the climbing required, allthough I think Blue Mounds is not far behind. If you ride Chubb my preferred route is from Lone Elk to W. Tyson state park - it's a point to point trail.

As far as the weather, I'd say by mid May it is essentially summer. They do get a lot of rain in the spring though. Trails like Chubb and Castlewood have 'high water' trails due to the fact that they border the main rivers in the area that flood their banks in the spring.

The GORC website is a great resource that get's updated very often. Use it as a resource - good maps and such.

·
Registered
17 Posts
council bluffs is definitely a sweet ride. great quick ups and downs - only two climbs of any kind. Perfect for singlespeeding.

If you're on a vacation, I would avoid castlewood - so much congestion in the warmer months of the year. Yeah chubb and even greensfelder are worth rides if you are in the STL area, but no camping sites/shower sites. Klondike about 15 minutes from greensfelder has camping/shower sites and a bunch of short sweet singletrack loops that are fairly technical in nature. All of that is in the STL suburb area. If you are going southern missouri - that means council bluffs, middle fork, etc. like mentioned. Hit up www.gorctrails.com, and check out the trails. Berryman still gets raves from the local riders despite horse traffic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.