Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just Ride !
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is conciderd sweet n light in grams when looking for tires for very light wheel set ?
I have 2.2s in mind , any suggestions in weght..

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
I'd be happy 650 grams and under if it works for trail conditions and riding style and doesn't blowout/tear/puncture too easily. I'll take a tire that handles well for me over a 100-150g per wheel.

Lightest I have are Mountain King Supersonics @ mfg listed ~460g for the 2.2 and 530g for the 2.4. Not sure how durable these will wind up being in the long run though and I'm not really very into them as a front tire in dry loose over hardpack.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
C.M.S said:
WW ? So nothing more than 600g is concidered light ? My est wheel set weight is 1700 grams.
You keep interchanging the words wheel and tire; which do you mean? Or are you asking about rim/hub/spokes/tube/tire/rim strip combos? The more precise you are with your terms, the more everyone can help you.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Nice fat grippy tire in front.
Trouble is they're heavy, 700 to 900 grams. But you don't feel that in front unless its a slow rolling tread. Using the same tire on the rear will make the bike feel slow. That's why many people use a light skinny 2.1 tire in back.

Here's an example of an excellent fast rolling 2.35 front tire. It measures 2.5" but there's a 2.1" available for the rear if you must have matching tires. Shiggy (resident tire guy)has tested these tires to confirm that they ARE as fast rolling and grippy as the tread design suggests.

http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/bicycle/mountain/h-factor.aspx

It might also be a good idea to try a very light tire (around 400 grams or less), just to see what a really fast tire feels like. I have the Kenda Klimax and Karma. And also a 360 gram Maxxis tire. Talk about turning your bike into a rocket! They're really only good for hardpack. The smallest amount of loose over hardpack usually means you're going down. That's why mine sit on a shelf. LOL

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
C.M.S said:
What is conciderd sweet n light in grams when looking for tires for very light wheel set ?
I have 2.2s in mind , any suggestions in weght..
For a true 2.2" tire 400 to 450g is considered light, 550 to 650g is considered average. But keep something in mind, lighter isn't always better. The heaviest component in any tire is rubber. So the first thing that gets reduced when a manufacturer goes to produce a light weight tire is, you guessed it, the amount of rubber used to make the tire. The results are thinner casings and tread caps. This results in a much less durable tire, more susceptible to sidewall tears, punctures etc. Using a higher thread count in the tire casing can help with this, but only to a limited extent. Also very light tires often compromise in the tread department as well. Most will use very small and low tread blocks. This serves two purposes, it lightens the tire a bit and tends to reduce rolling resistance. But it can also sacrifice traction as well.

The key to tire choice involves not just weight, but terrain as well. An uber light racing tire is fine for buff single track with few rocks, roots, etc. that are likely to tear up a sidewall.

So if you ride in an area with few rocks etc. Go ahead and go as light as you can find. Otherwise be prepared to compromise a bit on the weight for a bit of added durability. A very good tire that I've used is the Schwalbe Nobby Nick 2.25" TL Snakeskin at 580g +/- 10g. They are reasonably light, roll very well, and have good traction in most conditions. Not the lightest 2.25" tire out there, but certainly not the heaviest either. And they do resist cuts and abrasions well.

Definitely your call. But do take into consideration the terrain that you ride. While a super light tire is fast and fun to ride, it can also be an absolute night mare if not suited to the terrain.

Good Dirt

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
I have Rocket Rons by Schwalbe, the 2.25x26 is around 440 grams, it works good in Michigans terrain, you need a tire that works where you live not only light. RR's have nicely spaced lugs to save weight, the added benifits are, they spit mud good too, grip good in sand, loose dirt, not bad on hard pack, so all around a good tire here. I also run 90 gram tubes, we can get away with that here. Happy Trails

·
Just Ride !
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mimi1885 said:
I'd go with Nobby Nic front and Rocket Ron rear. for maximum grip in the loose stuff.
You have a link for those ? I want to try 2.1 rear and 2.2 front .
I have a sweet s-works fs that I leave up to the burly work . But the ht I am building will be sweet and light , thats why I ask you all these questions on this matter

Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.