Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On our ride around CCSP last nite, a group of us visited the BMX park at Yale and Chambers. It's a really nice park with ball fields, playgrounds, a skate park, hockey rinks and the BMX track. Anyway, we got to thinking that, if the Metro Districts and other recreational agencies can spend the money on these projects, why can't we get a MTB skills/DJ type park built? It would be no big deal to build a couple of jumps, drops and maybe a teeter totter.

I'm talking about mainly southeast metro Denver here, but once we get one park built, it wouldn't be too hard to get others started. There are basically no MTB opportunities out east, and this would be a great way to introduce more people to the sport. A skills park would be a great way for us east siders to keep sharp during the winter when we just don't have the time to drive 45 minutes to Dakota Ridge. But to get this thing started, we'd have to have input from a lot of MTBers, not just us easterners.

I guess here's the questions:

Who wants to help get this started? What ideas do you have?

Who do we need to talk to? Does anybody know anyone in Metro Districts (or whatever the governing park/rec body is?) Who's a good organized/lobbyist?

Who's willing to sign their names to petitions and help out if needed?

Just some thoughts. They're building like crazy out here and as the houses stretch further and further east, it'd be nice to have something like this for those of us who aren't lucky enough to live in Golden, Morrison or Boulder.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
coolhandluchs said:
On our ride around CCSP last nite, a group of us visited the BMX park at Yale and Chambers. It's a really nice park with ball fields, playgrounds, a skate park, hockey rinks and the BMX track. Anyway, we got to thinking that, if the Metro Districts and other recreational agencies can spend the money on these projects, why can't we get a MTB skills/DJ type park built? It would be no big deal to build a couple of jumps, drops and maybe a teeter totter.

I'm talking about mainly southeast metro Denver here, but once we get one park built, it wouldn't be too hard to get others started. There are basically no MTB opportunities out east, and this would be a great way to introduce more people to the sport. A skills park would be a great way for us east siders to keep sharp during the winter when we just don't have the time to drive 45 minutes to Dakota Ridge. But to get this thing started, we'd have to have input from a lot of MTBers, not just us easterners.

I guess here's the questions:

Who wants to help get this started? What ideas do you have?

Who do we need to talk to? Does anybody know anyone in Metro Districts (or whatever the governing park/rec body is?) Who's a good organized/lobbyist?

Who's willing to sign their names to petitions and help out if needed?

Just some thoughts. They're building like crazy out here and as the houses stretch further and further east, it'd be nice to have something like this for those of us who aren't lucky enough to live in Golden, Morrison or Boulder.
3 things:
1- Nice new avatar.
2- I can give you some input into the process(es) involved.
3- Fun ride yesterday evening

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
pushing the envelope

(somewhat) along those lines...
Everytime I drive by the motocross track near Grn Mtn I think about the possibilites for a more advanced skills park there. They obviously are already set up insurance-wise. Wonder who we'd need to talk to about getting building stuff there?
Sorry that this doesn't help easterners, but I think the idea of mtb skills parks is long overdue. I want one everywhere there's a baseball field... :D

·
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dbabuser said:
I think the idea of mtb skills parks is long overdue. I want one everywhere there's a baseball field... :D
No, no, everywhere there's a soccer field, then you'd have a lot more MTB parks ; , at least out this way. It's weird, I come from a place where you only played soccer in gym class--it wasn't considered a sport. The only sports were baseball, football and wrestling for the boys and volleyball or softball if you were a girl. Anyway...

Mike, maybe we should set up a "meeting" about this. JD's Baitshop works for me :D
All you eastsiders (or westsiders, north, south, whatever, for that matter) that want to contribute, why don't we share some ideas, info and intoxication and try to figure this out. Maybe I could write it off on my business account ;)

·
Ridin' many miles...
254 Posts
It's about time

It was a good ride last night. Great weather for sure and it was nice to meet you guys and explore that part of the trail. I've never been up that way.

If someone got it together to push through a skate park and bmx track, a skills park is no stretch, interest-wise or insurance-wise. I'm actually surprised and sad that it took this long to get a skate park or bmx park. When I was a kid we used to build half pipes but we could never get anyone to allow them on their property, presumably because of insurance hassles, but more likely because we had long hair and were obviously very dangerous. So I guess whoever pushed through the local public skate parks must have been pretty well scrubbed, unlike the skate punk I was so long ago.

So good luck and I'd like to help, but I'd probably be more of a hindrance...But I'll join you guys for a beer at JD's!

Ed

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
coolhandluchs said:
No, no, everywhere there's a soccer field, then you'd have a lot more MTB parks ; , at least out this way. It's weird, I come from a place where you only played soccer in gym class--it wasn't considered a sport. The only sports were baseball, football and wrestling for the boys and volleyball or softball if you were a girl. Anyway...

Mike, maybe we should set up a "meeting" about this. JD's Baitshop works for me :D
All you eastsiders (or westsiders, north, south, whatever, for that matter) that want to contribute, why don't we share some ideas, info and intoxication and try to figure this out. Maybe I could write it off on my business account ;)
Haven't been to JD's in a while. How about one night next week?

·
Registered
294 Posts
dbabuser said:
(somewhat) along those lines...
Everytime I drive by the motocross track near Grn Mtn I think about the possibilites for a more advanced skills park there. They obviously are already set up insurance-wise. Wonder who we'd need to talk to about getting building stuff there?
Sorry that this doesn't help easterners, but I think the idea of mtb skills parks is long overdue. I want one everywhere there's a baseball field... :D
It's funny you mention the motoX track as they used to have a dual slalom course... Hell, there were races twice a month for a while. But that crazy indian dude who runs the track decided that it wasn't profitable enough to maintain the track for 8 bucks a mtbiker, so they kicked us out, and let the DS course fall to ruins.'

As far as this MTB skills park idea, you need to look at it from a economics standpoint. The marginal cost vs. the marginal benefit. If they were to build the park, how often would it be used? How many mountain bikers would even be interested in going to this place over a skatepark or a DJ park?... and with places like keystone and vail looming in the distance with lift access, is there even a real reason for the city to blow that kind of money on a park that only a few (mostly beginner) mountain bikers would enjoy? I've heard a lot of talk regarding the establishment of a DH only Jefferson county open space sanctioned trail, and I think this would be a much better use of the city's time (and our time). Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

·
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Distance is the point

All those places you mention are at least a half hour drive from DTC/Aurora side of town. That's the whole problem IMO, there's nothing out here for MTBers, and I just don't have the time or gas money anymore to drive and hit the trails--believe me, I wish I did, or even better, I'd love to move west, but that just ain't gonna happen :( and I have zero interest in road riding.

The whole issue is where to ride your MTB out east, and right now, there's nothing worth checking out. My idea of a skills park isn't to create a kickass DS or DH course only for hardcore riders, it's to create a park where anyone can practice their skills when we don't have the long hours of summer can get out to ride the trails. The idea is to combine the basics of the BMX, Mtn X and Skate parks and create something that's fun and useful for everyone who has a MTB. I don't think the idea would catch on on the west side, because people are so close to the trails...what's the point, UNLESS you're gonna make something that people can't find out on the trails.

The other thing is that this wouldn't be a private park, it'd be public. The BMX tracks, skate parks, hockey rinks, soccer fields etc are all open to the public for free and maintained by the parks and rec divisions of the cities. What we need to do is find the planners of these divisions and pitch the idea. We need to give them a reason to build them. Personally, I think the reason that we're getting so many skate parks now is that the establishment sees them as a way to keep the "unfavorable elements", aka skaters, off the streets and business fronts and get them all together in one place. It's kinda of a safety issue. If you don't have these places, the kids will be jumping off anything they can find and hurting themselves and others. I don't agree with that, but it kinda shows you the thinking we would need to pitch the idea. We need to give them multiple reasons to build a MTB park, both straightforward reasons, and more oblique issues like safety.

It seems like everything except mountain biking is represented out on the east side, and since there are no trails or parks, it's understandable. My whole point is, that if the city agencies can build these nice BMX/skate/hockey/tennis/baseball/soccer/lacrosse/syncronized swimming/knitting facilities, why can't we get anything for MTBing?

Answer: cuz nobody's asked for it yet

OK, I've got carpal tunnel now, I'm done :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.