Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I want to buy a new bike. Yesterday I almost bought Kona Process 153 CR Dl Medium.
My height is 1.78. Should I get M or L?
And one more question. A lot of people told me that 27.5 is going to go out of the world like the 26 in the past. And I should take 29 bike. Is it real? Because I see that 27.5 is hard to sell maybe this is the reason? Should I get 29 bike in this days?
Thank you very much :)

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
I'm 176 and would buy a large 153. 29 has gained popularity the last couple of years. Lots of posts on wheel size on this site (understatement), but I'm sold on the new 29ers like the 153.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,371 Posts
Depends on the bike but I prefer medium frames almost 100% of the time. I'm 5'10" which would be roughly 178cm. If you can, ride both sizes.

27.5 and 29 will both be around a long time, I wouldn't worry about either of them being depreciated in the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I wouldn't think too hard about resale. Unless you buy the day it comes out...its already old. Buy the bike you like...ride it. Worry about resale when you decide to sell.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Last group ride I went on, there was only one 29er... The rest of us rode 27.5.

Keep mind, 27.5 evolved from 29, not the other way around... If it had gone 26->27.5->29, then you might worry about the "inferior" 27.5 going the way of the 26... But it actually went 26->29->27.5......
People realized you give up too much with 29 vs 26, but going back to 26 you also give up too much, thus 27.5. You keep much of the gains 29 has over 26, and also much of the advantages 26 has over 29....

If the world we're FORCED to keep only one, 27.5 would be it.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
29 is good for me on xc bike with xc tires. If I put tires for serious riding, the bike gets un-fun to ride. Notice I didn't say slow. It's just not fun. Note this is just my opinion, try to not get too triggered.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The 29 is just making frames too long for shorter riders so it is limited in a way.
The HT is great with 29 so we need some 27 and some 29.
The 27.5 is great in HT with + tires.
On the planet we ride in different situations, have personal preferences so we have to figure a bike or 2 or 3 to enjoy riding.
From some pictures i think some like FS. :cool:

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Hello, I want to buy a new bike. Yesterday I almost bought Kona Process 153 CR Dl Medium.
My height is 1.78. Should I get M or L?
And one more question. A lot of people told me that 27.5 is going to go out of the world like the 26 in the past. And I should take 29 bike. Is it real? Because I see that 27.5 is hard to sell maybe this is the reason? Should I get 29 bike in this days?
Thank you very much :)
You are the right size for either a 27.5 or a 29. I don't imagine 27.5 going away, but I don't have a very good imagination!

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Keep mind, 27.5 evolved from 29, not the other way around... If it had gone 26->27.5->29, then you might worry about the "inferior" 27.5 going the way of the 26... But it actually went 26->29->27.5......
People realized you give up too much with 29 vs 26, but going back to 26 you also give up too much, thus 27.5. You keep much of the gains 29 has over 26, and also much of the advantages 26 has over 29....
That was just the marketing at the time. You could phrase it the opposite way, too- the disadvantages of 26 and the disadvantages of 29.

All the early 27.5 adopters i knew went in because they thought their 26" bike wouldn't have any resale value next year; a self-fulfilling prophecy. The mass adoption of 27.5 was due to manufacturers/riders not wanting to be left holding unfashionable stock. It wasn't performance or evolution, although some 650b bikes were better because the new models were first generation long/low/slack.

If the world we're FORCED to keep only one, 27.5 would be it.
Why? 700c is the standard for road bikes, and they're too big for the same people who don't fit 29ers.

I agree that 27.5 is the size to keep if we went to 1 size, but there's no logic in 27.5 or in fickle market forces. :madman:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
((( Why? 700c is the standard for road bikes, and they're too big for the same people who don't fit 29ers. )))
I guess it is because of the front suspension.
Maybe also because of the 2.5 tire size.
I know 5 feet ladies with road bikes with wheels smaller than 700c.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I'm a similar size to you and prefer medium. But it's on the cusp. I have buddies who prefer large and ate my size.

As far as 27.5 and 29 is concerned. Tight, steep gnar go 27.5, fast bumpy straight go 29. But there are solid bikes it both wheel sizes these days.

Try and buy on feel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.