Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recomendations on good MTB shoes to use for road biking? I want to have a somewhat normal sole to be able to walk off the bike. Just very short distance but sometimes on gravel and on slippy store floors so don't think a road shoe would work. (Yes, I do know about cleat covers but hate walking with my heel much lower then my toes)

Sidi shoes don't seem to fit, too lose in the heel area when the toe area feels good. Shimano's seem to fit (have a really cheap pair now) so was looking at the shimano M225 shoes.

Any ideas? thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picard said:
try shimano M80 shoes. It is much cheaper than shimano 225 and it looks like regular hiking shoe.
Thats the same as the SH-MA80 they have out now, right? (I'm guessing it is, just making sure as small model number differences have screwed me up in the past.....)

For those shoes how easy is it to ajust the size? With velcro straps don't they sort of lock into a certain size once broken in? (My current shoes are laces so don't have any velcro experience) The vecro issue is the reason I was leaning to the M225 shoes as those use a ratchet to make it easy to adjust size. But I don't know.

As I'm using them for road use I'm thinking they will last a long time which makes price less important.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,976 Posts
right model

yeah, that's the right SH-MA80 shoe with velcro. You mention a mtb shoe for road that allow you to walk normally . Any shoes that has a ratchet will have hard sole which is unsuitable for walking. It is a fact for any manufacturer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picard said:
yeah, that's the right SH-MA80 shoe with velcro. You mention a mtb shoe for road that allow you to walk normally . Any shoes that has a ratchet will have hard sole which is unsuitable for walking. It is a fact for any manufacturer.
Well not walking long distances. Tried on a pair of M221 last year and the walkability of those were fine, just the shoes were a size too small and didn't have my size. And would seem like a stiffer sole is better for bike use.

So really the perfect shoe would be a road shoe with a sole on the bottom to make it have some grip for walking and a MTB cleat so there is enough room for the tread to go around it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,762 Posts
Stiff soles are key

enki42ea said:
Any recomendations on good MTB shoes to use for road biking? I want to have a somewhat normal sole to be able to walk off the bike. Just very short distance but sometimes on gravel and on slippy store floors so don't think a road shoe would work. (Yes, I do know about cleat covers but hate walking with my heel much lower then my toes)

Sidi shoes don't seem to fit, too lose in the heel area when the toe area feels good. Shimano's seem to fit (have a really cheap pair now) so was looking at the shimano M225 shoes.

Any ideas? thanks
I use my sidi doms. I use a superfeet insole (green ones) that makes for a great fit.
 

·
rbtm member
Joined
·
888 Posts
enki42ea said:
For those shoes how easy is it to ajust the size? With velcro straps don't they sort of lock into a certain size once broken in? (My current shoes are laces so don't have any velcro experience)
They're as easy to adjust as any other laced shoe. The velcro straps basically just keep the laces from flopping around and loosening up. I've had a pair for a little over 2 years and never had a problem. They are a little heavy but otherwise a fine shoe.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
A Stiff sole, light weight MTB racing shoe

enki42ea said:
Well not walking long distances. Tried on a pair of M221 last year and the walkability of those were fine, just the shoes were a size too small and didn't have my size. And would seem like a stiffer sole is better for bike use.

So really the perfect shoe would be a road shoe with a sole on the bottom to make it have some grip for walking and a MTB cleat so there is enough room for the tread to go around it.
like the M221 is best, that's the one I use, before that Sidi Dominators which were great. Almost all MTB shoes are better for walking than road shoes.
I bought a high dollar (on sale) pair of Nike road shoes and Ultegra road pedals a couple years back and only used them for 2 months, although I appreciated the lack of slop with the road set up, the lack of float and adjustment made me worry about long term knee health so I switched back to SPDs and MTB shoes, sure they feel a little sloppier on the road at first but it is way more convienent to have the same shoe/pedal combo on all my bikes.
 

·
rbtm member
Joined
·
888 Posts
Mr.Bob said:
They're as easy to adjust as any other laced shoe. The velcro straps basically just keep the laces from flopping around and loosening up. I've had a pair for a little over 2 years and never had a problem. They are a little heavy but otherwise a fine shoe.
Whoops, for some reason I misread MA80 as M038. M038, which I own, have laces, MA80 don't obviously.
 

·
JORBA: Six Mile Run
Joined
·
428 Posts
Sidi Dominator...

The Sidi Dominator MTB shoe is the same thing as the Genius road shoe, but with a MTB sole. The road shoe is rough to walk with. I use a spd style pedal on the road bike, so I went with the Dominator shoe for the sake of being able to walk in the shoe. Im not talking distance walking, just in and out of the house and post ride coffee kind of stuff.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top