Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SLX 10 speed has issues shifting from the 11t cog to the 14t cog, everything else is fine and indexed ok, the shift cable has been replaced just recently, and H and L limit screws, as well as B tension all seem fine, what is the issue causing this here? The shift from 10th to 9th works fine with a bit of an extra push past the click, but when i try to adjust the limit, it seems i make it too tight, and the original position was the closest that I could get it, the cassette is a Sunrace MS3 11-40t, but that shouldn't matter seeing that the shifts were fine before, nothing is worn, and I've been banging my head against the wall trying to fix it, what the hell is going on? :madman:

should I just take it to my LBS?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Been a while since I've been on 10 speed but I know from recent experience that my 12 speed setup doesn't work worth a mouse turd if the derailleur hanger and/or the derailleur cage is tweaked even the slightest. A cage/hanger tweak could definitely cause the issue you're describing. If you don't have a hanger alignment tool you could stop by the shop and let them check it for you and rule it out

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seems like a good idea, seeing that riding the bike shifting through the gears isn't that bad since I naturally push a little bit further than the click, and that compensates for the lack of shift distance, thanks for the answer, will definitely try to get it to a shop soon.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
My guess is that you need to make a B-tension adjustment. It sounds like you are using a cassette that beyond the design range of the derailleur. I have had success doing that, but the window for the b-tension screw was less then a quarter turn.

Try and get the top jocky wheel as close to the cassette as possible. That might be the ticket.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
From what has been described, you have ruled out cable, H/L adjustment, B screw adjustment. Likely a tweak to hanger or derailleur is causing some misalignment.

You mention 'nothing is worn'...how many miles on chain? Have you checked it with a gauge for stretch? Worn means more than visually seeing wear on components.

As stated above, check hanger alignment and see if that helps.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,598 Posts
M7000 med cage is 11spd and it can accept up to an 11-46 cassette in a 1x11 configuration.

First question I'm going to ask is why are you using it in a 10spd configuration?

Might wanna read this:

Science Behind the Magic | Drivetrain Compatibility â€" Art's SLO Cyclery

Mixing and Matching

It is important to keep in mind that while you find a lot of information that claims compatibility between different brands and groups, experiences will always vary. Things might seem to work well for a while, but later on, chain's stretch, teeth get worn down, and all of a sudden shifting becomes shady.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
From what has been described, you have ruled out cable, H/L adjustment, B screw adjustment. Likely a tweak to hanger or derailleur is causing some misalignment.

You mention 'nothing is worn'...how many miles on chain? Have you checked it with a gauge for stretch? Worn means more than visually seeing wear on components.

As stated above, check hanger alignment and see if that helps.
Hi antonyluo5

It sounds like you've done a great job of investigating this so for. I echo sturge's comments.

Also, have you checked the lower limit screw position with the chain off? I also saw a great technique in this video for lower limit position...see from 3:15

Best of luck :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My guess is that you need to make a B-tension adjustment. It sounds like you are using a cassette that beyond the design range of the derailleur. I have had success doing that, but the window for the b-tension screw was less then a quarter turn.

Try and get the top jocky wheel as close to the cassette as possible. That might be the ticket.
hmm, ok I will try this, so just as close as possible without the jockey wheel hitting the cassette right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi antonyluo5

It sounds like you've done a great job of investigating this so for. I echo sturge's comments.

Also, have you checked the lower limit screw position with the chain off? I also saw a great technique in this video for lower limit position...see from 3:15

Best of luck :)
I'm not sure how many miles is on the chain, but I've only had the bike for 5 months and haven't been doing much riding on it, so I'm quite sure that its not worn to the point of replacement, also its always well lubricated, thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
Look down at your derailleur from directly above. It can be bent in towards the center of the hub or out but it can also be twisted left or right(clockwise). If you can recognize either you can adjust it by hand for the in/out or I use a crescent wrench to twist it into the correct plane.
Your eye can be a pretty sensitive gauge.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Look down at your derailleur from directly above. It can be bent in towards the center of the hub or out but it can also be twisted left or right(clockwise). If you can recognize either you can adjust it by hand for the in/out or I use a crescent wrench to twist it into the correct plane.
Your eye can be a pretty sensitive gauge.
alright, I'm going to try this, the B tension is correct, 5mm and not hitting the cassette, also what's strange is that it seems to shift fine when riding, but it doesn't when the bike is upside down, does anyone know why this is?

thank you everyone for the quick replies and support

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok so I've checked the bike and the alignment, seems fine, also, I retract that statement that it works five-star does not, it was just the extra pressure I naturally apply to the shifter.

What is causing this mystery crappy shift on just this one cog?

it shifts down fine and the cable is fine, everything is set up correctly and thats the one cog that simply refuses to shift without some extra oomph, (10th to 9th)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WE HAVE A FIX!

The B-limit after checking it was way too tight, causing crappy shifting.

I still have to adjust it a little bit more but right now the B tension fix is looking really promising

Thank you to everyone who helped and especially to LMN for suggesting a fix so quickly, without a doubt, I would of had to take this to my shop if it wasn't for all of you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.