Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
2,076 Posts
I always forget that miserable, unhappy people sometimes end up outside doing fun things. I had a guy square up to me like he wanted to fight on the trails once, and the only reason was because I hollered ahead to let him know I was coming. He stopped and was clearly pissed, turned around and squared up directly in the middle of the trail. I stopped and just stared at him, confused. He gave me the "whaddya gonna do bro" shoulder shrug, so I just went wide around him.

People are weird. Kind of unsettling that these situations can devolve into someone getting hurt.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is always 3 sides to every story. In this case there is the hikers side, the riders side and then there is the truth (usually somewhere in the middle). Its human nature to sway your own story toward your own side.

This is two people unwilling to compromise.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,760 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Perhaps the multiple use guidelines need modification? Just kidding
Kidding aside and I hate to throw the wrench in but we need one more on this grid (and not because I'm anti-'E'): E-bikes should yield to everyone (that includes uphill!) I'm glad to let an e-bike pass me in an appropriate spot, but there is no way in hell I'm stopping on an uphill singletrack to let an e-bike pass....they can wait until there is a proper opening in the trail that allows for passing!

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
Kidding aside and I hate to throw the wrench in but we need one more on this grid (and not because I'm anti-'E'): E-bikes should yield to everyone (that includes uphill!) I'm glad to let an e-bike pass me in an appropriate spot, but there is no way in hell I'm stopping on an uphill singletrack to let an e-bike pass....they can wait until there is a proper opening in the trail that allows for passing!
Yeah but the hiker on the sign has a knife. What should the ebiker have?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd like to hear what the hiker's "companions" saw.

Both the knife wielder and the mtb'er sound like they were acting like self-righteous arse-twads and karma got both of them.

Just be nice and keep to yourself. And pay attention so you can get out of the darn way.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
4,398 Posts
Perhaps the multiple use guidelines need modification? Just kidding:)
I mentioned this above, but not all trail systems use that sign or those guidelines. We have a local trail where the guideline is simply: Uphill traffic has right of way.

Regardless this is a distraction. Violating trail guidelines shouldn't lead to knifing.

God Stabit I'm clueless.

A+

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
What riding area is that parking lot for? I took a quick look at trailforks, and didn’t see anything exactly right there. Although the climb trail for Brown Pow is nearby-ish.
It does appear to be the climbing trail to Brown Pow.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,873 Posts
Perhaps the multiple use guidelines need modification? Just kidding:) View attachment 1922851

That is amazing. thank you.

When I read this part:
The Sheriff's report contains two separate versions of what happened next, one from the 69-year-old hiker named Dake Traphagen and the other from the unnamed 66-year-old mountain biker.
I did a eye roll so hard it gave me a headache.... Seriously these guys are old enough to know better. they are all idiots. The idea that a group of 4 felt threatened by a single person is preposterous.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if the biker instigated it, but I highly doubt that he presented so much of a threat to the hiker that he should be stabbed.

·
Your Best Friend
5,301 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if the biker instigated it, but I highly doubt that he presented so much of a threat to the hiker that he should be stabbed.
I'm definitely not taking sides in this argument but I do agree with aggressively defending yourself.

IF, and I definitely mean IF, the biker had gotten off of his bike and taken the hiker to the ground, imo the hiker can at that point use any means necessary to defend himself. I won't judge him for that.

I absolutely will not begrudge someone to make a split second decision on how they should defend themselves. It's always so easy to armchair quarterback these scenarios. In the moment, I'm guessing it was scary and dangerous.

But, like I said...I'm taking no sides as it seems the real story has yet to be told.

I personally wouldn't get myself into a pissing match with a fellow trail user like that...BUT, if someone ever attacked me and took me to the ground, I will do EVERYTHING I can to make sure they never get up again.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 305 Posts